Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
driftflow
AF Newbie

My new project - reviving car unused for nearly 13 years

I recently moved to lebanon last summer. I've been noticing this green oldsmobile thats been parked behind my house. I thought it belonged to my neighbors but then i finally asked my dad about it, he said it was his, i was so surprised lol. So after some talking he gave it to me cos its been sitting there for 13 years. I've been really bored lately and here in Lebanon cars are very expensive. So i'm waiting till i move back to the US which will be in about a year to get a car instead. Until then, to keep me from dying of boredom, I was thinking of reviving it for fun. It is a 1973 oldsmobile delta 88. Its got a crazy 455 rocket engine, and I think if i revived it, i would have fun driving it . Just one problem, i have minimal knowledge about car engines, only will and common sense. I have some friends that know about cars and would be willing to help me. So i'm thinking the spark plugs have to be changed, gas replaced and gas filter replaced, oil change, a new battery, new tires, something probably has to be done about the suspension cos it will probably break after a couple days, so i need you guys help and advices because i would love to get this american muscle up and running. Thanks.

Last edited by driftflow; 04-28-2008 at 09:03 AM.
driftflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: My new project - reviving car unused for nearly 13 years

You are on the right track.

One could actually write a book on how to revive such a car, much of the details depends on the car's current condition and what you expect to do to it after revival.

It was on the road for 22 years, so there may be mechanical issues / wear that existed before it was parked. There must have been some reason why it was parked and these may need to be fixed.

As for reversing the deterioration from storage, there have been several threads started here at AF, some in this sub forum about advice for reviving older American cars that have been in storage for a long time. I would suggest you search for them, read them first, as they have much of the same general advice you are looking for.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Definitely try to get it going, you won't be sorry . I learned how to drive in one of those back in 1984. It was my neighbor's car and I'll never forget how great I thought that car was. Every now and then I kick myself for not buying it when he was ready to sell it. It was an Arizona car, rust free and spotless. He sold it to a kid who didn't take very good care of it.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:56 AM   #4
driftflow
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat
You are on the right track.

One could actually write a book on how to revive such a car, much of the details depends on the car's current condition and what you expect to do to it after revival.

It was on the road for 22 years, so there may be mechanical issues / wear that existed before it was parked. There must have been some reason why it was parked and these may need to be fixed.

As for reversing the deterioration from storage, there have been several threads started here at AF, some in this sub forum about advice for reviving older American cars that have been in storage for a long time. I would suggest you search for them, read them first, as they have much of the same general advice you are looking for.
Well the reason it was parked is because it was a car that needed constant maintenance, my uncle who was the main driver, said that he just parked it one day and forgot about it, everything was running fine and anything that wasn;t working was replaced maybe 200 miles before he parked it. So everything should be working too.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Stale Trooper
AF Regular

From the sounds of things, You've stumbled onto a super project car! being in Lebanon, I would expect it to be in similar condition to an Arizona (US) car in condition. Little rust and a dry environment should curb any major deterioration, but in addition to the items mentioned in your first posting, I would suggest you check & replace any and all rubber hoses, all seals, and all fluids.
Be prepared to find the upholstery ready to disintegrate, and interior plastic to be brittle. Petroleum jelly MAY restore some life to vynils and plastics rub it on liberally, and let it soak in for as long as you can.
GOOD LUCK!

It's White, with a black grille, a spotlight, and the butt is black. Need a picture? Thought not
Stale Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:25 AM   #6
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

Sorry to dissapoint you, but its probably packing a 455 CID engine with closer to 250 hp, but its still worth reviving, just don't expect it to be fast. My '83 Toronado has a 140hp 307v8 and its very fun to drive, even though it runs a quarter mile in around 18 seconds.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
driftflow
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgames33
Sorry to dissapoint you, but its probably packing a 455 CID engine with closer to 250 hp, but its still worth reviving, just don't expect it to be fast. My '83 Toronado has a 140hp 307v8 and its very fun to drive, even though it runs a quarter mile in around 18 seconds.
Yeah a 455 cubic inch engine i mean, not 455 hp, my bad.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Stale Trooper
AF Regular

It's been almost 5 years, How is the project doing? did you save it? Hoping You were able to get her going!!

It's White, with a black grille, a spotlight, and the butt is black. Need a picture? Thought not
Stale Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
driftflow
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Trooper View Post
It's been almost 5 years, How is the project doing? did you save it? Hoping You were able to get her going!!
Oh wow, this thread definitely brings back nice memories, but not as much as I would have wished, since this had turned into one of the saddest stories of my life.

I was young when I first created this thread, about 17, and moved to California just before turning 20, staying in Lebanon longer than I had thought, and I spent the entire time restoring this baby little by little. At about 19, I visited the U.S throughout the summer and bought all new oil, fuel, coolant, pretty much any lines having to do with fluids, belts, a bunch of other engine parts that are impossible to find in Lebanon.

When I came back with all my new parts, the car was gone, only to learn of the terrible news that my grandma (it was her estate) and one of her sons had sold it to the scrap metal guys for less than $100, to put a little garden in place of it. It was really devastating, I was looking forward so much to firing that beast up for the first time that summer, after all the effort and thought I put into it, especially being that young. I did everything I could to try and relocate that car, my father and his other brothers weren't happy with what happened but I eventually had to let it go. That was very sad and it took me forever to forgive my grandma and uncle for that.

It's still hard to think about hehe but I'm past that and have moved on to other projects nowhere near as interesting, namely turboing nissans and other somewhat ricer stuff... However, I'm glad you asked about this. Sorry to hear about your 99 getting wiped out by a woman driver, it's sad when these things happen especially when they have great sentimental value.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical