Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Avalon/Pronard
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #16
Elaine5431
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 Toyota Avalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R.
They both died? Someone is fooling someone...

I would not go to that mechanic any more.

I really don't know who to trust. One mechanic tells me one thing then another tells me something completely different. I asked one to check my timing belt and he said oil leaked on it and I whould replace it ASAP. The other one said there is no way to check by just looking because it is enclosed. The other one said it looks good and shouldn't need to replace it for awhile. What is a woman to do???? Now that I have put in lots of $$$ I hope my car will last awhile.... New brakes, hoses, spark plugs & wires, ignition coil & knock sensors.

Elaine
Elaine5431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #17
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

I know your "What is a woman to do?" question is somewhat rhetorical, but they are not alone. Men, whether they know it or not, are subject to a similar problem. Women are seen as easier targets, but unless you babysit the mechanic, it is very difficult to judge a lot of opinions or recommendations made by mechanics.

Here is an article in the Camry FAQ thread:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...1&postcount=53

Here's one part of it, under "Warning Signs?" that applied to your situation:

"Does your mechanic claim you need more than one part to repair a given concern? If so it is questionable. While it is possible to have multiple failures contribute to a symptom, it is more likely a single part or condition is at fault. Occasionally you could have one component failure cause another component failure but that is also less likely. Always ask for a detailed explanation of what the root cause of the failure was. Beware of the parts swapper who wants to change every part that he thinks may be causing the problem. A typical example would be an EGR system. Many mechanics will claim that the EGR valve and sensor should both be changed if either is faulty. This is generally not true. There were cases in the 1980's when redesigned valves would not work without a redesigned sensor but generally either one or the other is the problem, not both. Sometimes the mechanic will recommend several parts but only 1 may be associated with your original concern. That is OK as long as he explains what all the parts are needed for. Often times he is trying to sell you maintenance work or has found worn parts that do need replacement. There should be a reason for every parts that is replaced."

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #18
Elaine5431
AF Newbie

Quote:
I know your "What is a woman to do?" question is somewhat rhetorical, but they are not alone. Men, whether they know it or not, are subject to a similar problem. Women are seen as easier targets, but unless you babysit the mechanic, it is very difficult to judge a lot of opinions or recommendations made by mechanics.

Here is an article in the Camry FAQ thread:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...1&postcount=53

Here's one part of it, under "Warning Signs?" that applied to your situation:

"Does your mechanic claim you need more than one part to repair a given concern? If so it is questionable. While it is possible to have multiple failures contribute to a symptom, it is more likely a single part or condition is at fault. Occasionally you could have one component failure cause another component failure but that is also less likely. Always ask for a detailed explanation of what the root cause of the failure was. Beware of the parts swapper who wants to change every part that he thinks may be causing the problem. A typical example would be an EGR system. Many mechanics will claim that the EGR valve and sensor should both be changed if either is faulty. This is generally not true. There were cases in the 1980's when redesigned valves would not work without a redesigned sensor but generally either one or the other is the problem, not both. Sometimes the mechanic will recommend several parts but only 1 may be associated with your original concern. That is OK as long as he explains what all the parts are needed for. Often times he is trying to sell you maintenance work or has found worn parts that do need replacement. There should be a reason for every parts that is replaced."

Thank you for sending me such good information. The mechanic call and he now said there is another code EGR system. He said it won't harm my car but there will be more emisions from my car. I said "so that means my car won't pass smog." He said "YES". He said the light when off but he wants to make sure it doesn't come on again, so he will have it driven a few more times and let me know. I am so up set because I told him I didn't want to dump a lot of money in my car because it is getting old. I wish he would have said more things can pop up after the knock sensors are replaced but he didn't. I would have said not to repair it but I was not given the option. I am sure he knew this might happen. What is your opinion???
Old 05-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #19
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Listen to his opinion and get your car back immediately afterward. At this point, for any further work, get a recommendation from a good friend (and hopefully one that is knowledgeable about cars) for an honest and good mechanic. There are many out there. If you can, the first time you go to that mechanic for anything, try and bring your friend along to provide both a feeling of security and to impress the mechanic that a customer of his has recommended you and supports you.

IMO, the best thing you can do in the long run is learn about cars, particularly engines. The more informed a conversation you can have with a mechanic, the less likely he would be to try to do something totally without merit.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #20
Elaine5431
AF Newbie

Quote:
Listen to his opinion and get your car back immediately afterward. At this point, for any further work, get a recommendation from a good friend (and hopefully one that is knowledgeable about cars) for an honest and good mechanic. There are many out there. If you can, the first time you go to that mechanic for anything, try and bring your friend along to provide both a feeling of security and to impress the mechanic that a customer of his has recommended you and supports you.

IMO, the best thing you can do in the long run is learn about cars, particularly engines. The more informed a conversation you can have with a mechanic, the less likely he would be to try to do something totally without merit.
Hi Brian,
I got my car back last night and so far the light is off. The mechanic said to bring it back if the light goes on and he will fix it. I guess that says he is not dishonest.

I am an Insurance Agency and when I sell someone a policy I explain the different limits offered and let them pick the level of protection they need. I try to educate them on what the policy covers and help them determine what they need. I wish auto machinics would do the same. I know there are always unknow things that pop up. An experienced mechanic propably knows what to expect from a car.

You are so right that I need more education on how cars run. I guess that is my problem which causes a lot of miscommunication all the way around. I guess I expect people to be up front and honest so that I can make my decision. I have to remember we live in a broken world. I will be a little smarter next time, ask more questions and do the best I can.

Thank you so much for all you advice and suggestions. I do very much appreciate the time you have spent in helping me. If you would like me to keep you up dated as to what happens, let me know. If you are tired of my drama, I understand.

Thanks again,
Elaine

Last edited by Elaine5431; 05-24-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #21
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Just remember that auto mechanics have a conflict of interest when troubleshooting your car. The more they find wrong, the better for them. This is a bad situation since it may eventually lead to an honest mechanic crossing the line and becoming untruthful in order to buy his new boat or make the down payment on his house.

Although many are trustworthy, it pays to remember that this conflict of interest exists; in mechanical work, dentists, home improvement, etc. After every recommendation is received, you should try to balance the risk with the benefit in a knowledgeable way. It is always your option to just walk (drive) away.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #22
Elaine5431
AF Newbie

Quote:
Just remember that auto mechanics have a conflict of interest when troubleshooting your car. The more they find wrong, the better for them. This is a bad situation since it may eventually lead to an honest mechanic crossing the line and becoming untruthful in order to buy his new boat or make the down payment on his house.

Although many are trustworthy, it pays to remember that this conflict of interest exists; in mechanical work, dentists, home improvement, etc. After every recommendation is received, you should try to balance the risk with the benefit in a knowledgeable way. It is always your option to just walk (drive) away.
It is too bad money has to stand in the way for honesty. Good things come to us through honesty. Next time I till take more time to, as you said, balance the risk with the benefit.

So far so good with the check engine light.

Have a great Memorial Day.

Elaine

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Avalon/Pronard