Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
00GTP4ME
AF Enthusiast

Question When to replace those plugs?

This question is about spark plugs and preventative maintenance.
My old man told me that in general, you should always replace your plugs and wires every 75,000 miles to maintain the best gas mileage and performance. My mechanic told me that you should only replace your spark plugs when they need replacing. (Do you wait until your car runs like crap?)

Personally, I like being proactive with my vehicle maintenance. Does anyone know any pros & cons to my old man's point of view and my mechanics? What do you do?

And if you want to know, I drive a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII V6 S/C
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
----------------------------------------------------
1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7L V8
1993 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L V8
1991 Ford Probe LX 3.0 V6
1986 Ford Tempo GL 2.3L 4 cyl.
00GTP4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: When to replace those plugs?

Twenty years ago I used to change my plugs every couple of years, now with the better technology and different types of long lasting plugs available I usually change them before the time they are "supposed " to last. I don't let the plugs stay in my engine for 100,000 miles, rather I change them out well before that. The longer you wait to remove them some issues could develop such as a harder time removing them. Granted on many vehicles today it is a lot harder to access the plugs, especially the rear ones, but nevertheless, they should still be changed on a fairly regular basis before any issues crop up. I also use anit-seize compound on the spark plug threads and dielectric grease on the inside of the spark plug boots to make it easier to remove the spark plug wires from the plugs the next time you need to do the job. I've seen spark plug wire boots literally "weld" themselves to the plug and many times the wire was damaged in the removal attempt.
The way I see it, plugs don't really cost a lot of money in most cases. and replacing them with a new set on a regular basis is a good practice to keep your emgine running good and to obtain good fuel economy.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
Hudson
Old Mod

Re: When to replace those plugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00GTP4ME
This question is about spark plugs and preventative maintenance.
My old man told me that in general, you should always replace your plugs and wires every 75,000 miles to maintain the best gas mileage and performance. My mechanic told me that you should only replace your spark plugs when they need replacing. (Do you wait until your car runs like crap?)

Personally, I like being proactive with my vehicle maintenance. Does anyone know any pros & cons to my old man's point of view and my mechanics? What do you do?

And if you want to know, I drive a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP.
I'm with you...I like to replace plugs BEFORE they're bad. With standard plugs, I would replace them every 30,000 miles (wires every other time). With platinum plugs, they'll last longer so 60,000-100,000 is possible. Today's transverse V6 cars (yours and mine), pushing the change interval back will delay the stress on you...so put in good plugs and change them as frequently as you can handle (60,000-75,000 sounds like a perfectly fine range).
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General