Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: Which is better?
2003 SVT Ford Cobra 75 66.96%
2003 Honda S2000 37 33.04%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 05:11 AM   #91
TerminalVelocity
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerminalVelocity
I beat a 2003 cobra, I blew past him like he wasnt going for it!

(ricer mode)

I saw a 2003 cobra, tryed to get him to go for it on the freeway, he didnt, so I just drove past

(truth)

Solid Crew (Circa 2002)
Old 10-14-2002, 10:53 PM   #92
XXXglitchXXX
AF Newbie

u cant even compare a 03 snake with a s2000, imports cars are in their own league. look at the stats of a 03 cobra vs. a s2000 that should tell u enough right there.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:02 AM   #93
TerminalVelocity
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerminalVelocity
ummm...vauge at best

elobrate

Solid Crew (Circa 2002)
Old 10-15-2002, 12:44 AM   #94
Incubus
AF Newbie

Come on guys

The race? Of course the cobra would win.
The stares from every other driver on the road. S2000 wins.

I like that I have to rev the car, it's actually more like I get to rev it.

Just think if the Cobra's engine could spin as fast as the S2000's engine and breath just as will up there. It would make extreme power like the S, but on a larger scale, because of displacement. Mustangs are set up to run out of torque. You get it sooner, but you lose it sooner.
Also it seems like they could have done better than those times with the specs, but I don't know
Old 10-15-2002, 04:46 AM   #95
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NSX-R-SSJ20K
yawn i seen a vid of the S2000 racing a cobra the S2000 won and the guys in the cobra felt dumb
Old 10-15-2002, 05:28 AM   #96
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
Actually, the DOHC Cobra version of the modular 4.6 revs quite happily, it has lots of torque because it's a good sized motor with a supercharger.

As for the earlier Troll,

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:56 PM   #97
S Brake
Ferrari Guy

After an extensive amount of time behind an S2000, I can't say no to the 9K rpm or the fantastic handling. there is just something about revving that high that gets my blood flowing!
Old 10-18-2002, 06:32 AM   #98
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
If you love Ferrari engines, you can't help but love the S2000 engine (F20C?)... It's like a Ferrari, but moreso! Not as much low end torque, but what do you want for $40K! I love German cars, but let's see it's German competitors, the boxster and the Z3! Spend a little more, and you can get a Z3 2.8, or an M roadster, or a Boxster S, but those cost more, and you could have a supercharged S2000, making 350 hp, and with a suspension setup from Mugen...

Then again, Porsche made a car far better than the S2000 years ago, with the 968. I could get a 968 for $15K-$20K, with $20K left to blow on wheels, a turbo conversion(500+hp anyone?), custom leather interior(seats, dash/console, headline, door skins etc), lightweigh fiberglass/polycarbon parts, even a boat!

What more could you want?

www.968.net

Old 10-18-2002, 07:25 PM   #99
Bad Bruce
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Times

The last issue of Popular Mechanics had a couple of Articles. One was the Z06 vs the Viper. In that article the Z06 posted a time of 12.85 in the 1/4 mile. Another article compared three GT's models, the SVT, BMW and Mazeratti. In that article the SVT posted a 1/4 in 12.84.

I did notice that the final drive ratio on the SVT was slightly more aggresive than the Z06. This might account for the SVT posting a .01 lower 1/4 mile.

My pick is the SVT. So much so, that I bought one. Previously I preferred GM products, but after reading about the SVT in Road & Track, and the performance you get for the buck, I went out and bought one.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:15 PM   #100
iAMaBEAN
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to iAMaBEAN
that doesn't make sense...they printed the z06 had a 1/4 mile time of 12.85? i've seen stock plain jane vettes run 12.9's. the z06 (atleast the 02 and later) should run mid to low 12's.

i don't think s2000's look that good at all. there are a few noticeable different features on the 03 cobra. they changed the front ground effects, the rear spoiler, the rear of the car looks completely different, the hood has functional air scoops...yeah there's a few different things aobut it. one rolled by me the other day...it wasn't hard to tell at all.

i was readin either mm&ff or 5.0 and they printed the rwhp on the 03 cobras range from 360-385 so it's def. underrated by ford. i doubt because of the '99 cobra fiasco, though. probably more for insurance reasons. it's been done before.

on a side note, hello this is my first post here
Old 10-25-2002, 02:26 PM   #101
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Welcome to Automotive Forums!

I think stock C5s running 12.9s would probably be on DOT drag tires, if not slicks. I think with slicks a good driver could get a 12.5 out of a hardtop(they're a little lighter than the coupe, hence all Z06 models being hardtops).

The problem is as always putting down the power. The Z06 has more hp than the Cobra, and is much lighter, but the Cobra should have more torque(I believe, not sure), because it's a blown engine. Let's not forget, the LS6 in the Z06 has already been tuned to get that 405hp, whereas the Cobra engine just needs a pulley swap to up the boost to 14 lbs, and run on high octane.

Old 10-27-2002, 07:41 PM   #102
R1-rider
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to R1-rider Send a message via AIM to R1-rider
My uncle races in the H production class at SCCA racing events, and he owns a Z06. And while we were at Mid Ohio I convinced him to run his Z06 on the drag to see what it would pull in. The only modification he has is flowmasters. He pulled ina 12.44 on his first run.

The SVT only can pull a .90 on the skidpad, and you think it can beat a 1G car. The SVT weighs more, has a worse skidpad, lower HP AND torque, doesn't have the f/r weight balance the vette has, and you think it is better?

You guys are so quick to jump to numbers when comparing the S2000 to the SVT, but how about we compare the Vette to the SVT. These are both American muscle cars, so they are grouped in the same category, not with the S2000.

Vette = 405HP/400ftlbs 3200lbs
SVT = 390HP/390ftlbs 3700lbs
And we dont even need to talk about which one is more electronically advanced.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:52 PM   #103
iAMaBEAN
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to iAMaBEAN
you're right, when you look at the rated numbers from the factory, it's hard to compare. However, check out what stock 03 snakes dyno at...you'd be suprised. The rwhp is closer to what Ford has advertised they have at the crank. Chevrolet underrated one of their stingrays at an rpm that wasn't producing the max power for that engine. That's what Ford has done with the cobra.

This is from 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords:
"On the Dyno
You’ve probably skipped ahead to the dyno sheets by now, but here’s the full story with all the gory details.
Without so much as a how-do-you-do, we tied down the bone-stock Cobra on the PHP Dynojet and were collectively impressed when we saw peaks of 360.7 hp and 358.7 lb-ft of torque displayed after our first pull. It’s worth noting the figures we’re quoting here are the absolute peaks recorded by the dyno. These usually occurred in between the 100-rpm reporting points shown in our charted printouts. Assuming a typical 17-percent loss through the drivetrain, this rear-wheel power equates to somewhere well north of 425 ponies at the flywheel from a factory-stock 281 cubic inches! And that torquey impression we noted on the drive over from Detroit to PHP’s Jackson, Michigan, headquarters was confirmed by the dyno’s revelation—more than 300 lb-ft are available from as low as 1,700 all the way up past 6,000 rpm—in short, a broad and satisfying torque curve in anybody’s book. "

LINK to the article

Old 10-27-2002, 10:31 PM   #104
SilverZR1
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SilverZR1 Send a message via Yahoo to SilverZR1
Talking

Although I plan on buying a cobra because of the price for the HP and I want something different with a warranty I just have to say.......It's really sad that Ford had to supercharge their FASTEST production car just to be able to beat the Z28's and SS's and keep up with the corvettes that are bone stock and pushrod engines to boot. Lets try another comparison just for fairness in class. lets take the supercharged cobra and put it up against a supercharged SS. Who do you think will win. I dont think there will be any question. I'm not saying the car sucks or I wouldnt be buying one but i think thats a fair comparison. As for the price/HP value it is the best for the money but you would be better off getting an 01 or 02 and putting your own supercharger on it unless you WANT new.
03 Cobra and GrandSport blazer project coming soon!!!
Old 10-27-2002, 10:35 PM   #105
SilverZR1
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SilverZR1 Send a message via Yahoo to SilverZR1
oh yea and i have to remark on one of your replies about rear wheel HP on the cobra. How is my ZR1 getting 20 to 30 RWH LESS than the cobra supposidly but my car is faster stock or atleast as fast. Not too bad for a 13 year old car either
03 Cobra and GrandSport blazer project coming soon!!!

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing