Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
skoda_norman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to skoda_norman
Garage Scene

Hey guys, not posted here for a while...i've done some modeling since, but it hasnt been going smoothly.

anyway, i bought the Tamiya 1:24 Rally Mechanics Set last week so i've been putting that together. the mechanics are drying behind me as i type, i'll wait for them to dry and then post pics of those. Here are the latest pics though.

the chassis model on axel stands is for my 1935 Morgan and the Mustang is a 1966 350H revell kit, but i push painted it Embarassed Ford is a Model A 1929 Pick up. I like that model but ruined the chassis when i painted it with car paint!

The garage itself was built by my dad's uncle who has now sadly passed away. he built it following a old skool design back when i was about 4...so, this post here is for him

thoughts?
Old 04-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
COZMO6476
AF Enthusiast

Re: Garage Scene

your dad's uncle did a tight job on the garage. once you put some of your own work in there it should look killer.

COZMO6476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
skoda_norman
AF Enthusiast

i'm thinking of adding some stickers to the inside of the garage, but undecided. i've got a huge NKG sticker (its as big as the wall) and a smaller goodridge ones...we'll see.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
daklunk
AF Regular

Looks cool! I've always wanted to do a garage, but I lack the time, materials, and in all probability the skill to even start I like the old school look to it. I'd put "Robert's Garage" on the inside again, and then some of those sponsor banners, as welll as a few signs. In the garage where I work, the tool boxes all have different sponsor stickers on them that come with parts, especially the aftermarket stuff.

I see only one problem-- everything is clean

Slow down, dear, you're scaring the dog...
1:1 ride: '84 BMW 318i, needs attention. Stickin' with it
1:25 450+ hp DSM build, Click here for thread
daklunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
skoda_norman
AF Enthusiast

lol. i didnt make the garage, its a god sent though coz it really does look ace. yeah it does look a bit clean really. i think more bits of projects and stuff should work a treat...has anyone got any spare 1:24 car wheels/panels/etc ?
for sponsers and stuff on the inside, is it just a case of getting a high quality image and scaling it down and then getting a high quality print out and laminatiing it?
Old 04-23-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
daklunk
AF Regular

I'd just rummage through the parts box, see if there is anything that you could possibly use (you can always swap stuff out later). If you can't find anything much, then use that excuse to go buy more kits!
I'd use several different things for the inside. The sign could be laminated paper, just crop it very closely to the edge. Your Skoda service sign looks fine--it just needs to have the curl taken out and a little bit of a semigloss tone to it. You could even try printing on .010 or .020 styrene sheet to see what results you can get (this would be like sign board) but first I'd be sure it won't ruin your printer or the sheet! In many garages, signs are printed on standard sized sheets of brightly colored paper. Using Microsoft word, you could type out a few notices, advertisements, announcemnets, warnings, etc on colored sheets (a local printing shop should have a bunch of colors, lime green, hot pink, and yellow are the most used from what I've seen). A scale sheet of paper will be about 9mm x11.5mm, leave about a 1mm margin around the text.
Most of the banners I've seen are printed on white plastic sheets. I'm trying to think of something that would look in scale that you could print on... Not sure, but it would need to be thin and kinda glossy... maybe the opaque wax paper decals are sent in?
As for the individual sponsor decals, printing your own on decal paper is the way to go. I like the Testor's decal paper, comes in a pack of 3 white, 3 clear. I find a logo I like (this is a great link: http://www.raceapeel.com/xcart/custo...e.php?cat=262). If I want color, I use Micrsoft Paint. I resize with Microsoft Word (setting the page to 70% gives you almost life size page), print them, and seal them. If you you don't have a fairly decent ink jet, search out a friend. It's very satisfying to make your own decals. If i need larger stuff or white decals, I'll probably send it to Crazy Modeler, he does some real nice stuff.

I want to do a performance tuner shop with a dyno, a lift, a paint booth, and a large workbench and lots of equipment. Car on the lift getting the engine taken out, parts strewn on the floor, parts of the interior out, and aftermarket goodies being assembled on the workbenches. Sweet...

Old 04-24-2006, 01:40 AM   #7
skoda_norman
AF Enthusiast

i as thinking only this morning that a car lift would go well inside the garage behind the Mustang...can they be bought, or do they need to be built?

finished the mechanics, gonna try painting their eyes yet, but i couldnt wait to put em out. just need to finish all the tools and stuff that came with the kit..

Old 04-27-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
daklunk
AF Regular

Kool :

I've not seen lifts for sale, but that doesn't mean they don't make them. Personally, I'd try making one first. Do you want one that lifts from underground or the swing arm ones that lift from both sides?

Old 04-27-2006, 10:15 PM   #9
irnintoprkedcars
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to irnintoprkedcars

that mechanic in the second picture on the right looks like he is giving us the finger, but trying to be sneaky about it... is it just me or does anyone else see this...

tricky mechanics
irnintoprkedcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:44 AM   #10
Mogster
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoda_norman
i as thinking only this morning that a car lift would go well inside the garage behind the Mustang...can they be bought, or do they need to be built?
http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ11118

West Berks Scale Model Club
Mogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:24 PM   #11
skoda_norman
AF Enthusiast

the 'finger pointing' mechanic is supposed to be a rally driver but i didnt want a rally drive so made him a boss type guy.
that kit inc the car lift looks really cool, but i'll have to wait a bit before buying that.
how would you make such a lift?

some more pics but with tools.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #12
jonnii05
AF Newbie

i have just orderd the tools set so if you want to just wait a while i could tell you what its like here is a link to just the tools with out the garage http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ11032
jonnii05 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street