Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sportage
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
KeeperoftheCold
AF Newbie

96 manual transmission prolem

I have a 96 sportage with 137,000 miles on a manual tranmission. When running up in the gears, it does okay until I get between 2500 and 3000 rpm. I really noticed the problem the other day when I went over a bridge, I finally had to down shift to second gear. Help!!! is my tranny going bad? clutch?
KeeperoftheCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: 96 manual transmission prolem

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeperoftheCold
I... it does okay until I get between 2500 and 3000 rpm. I really noticed the problem ......
..what kind of problem? misses? stalls?...noise?.....
Old 04-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
KeeperoftheCold
AF Newbie

when I am accelerating through the gears, it bogs down between 2500 and 3000 rpm. It take me about 1/4 mile to get up to 45mph and my max speed on level ground is about 60. It dosent make any noticably diffrent sounds.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Of course it is not the tranny. WHich engine is it? 96....mmm...Single Overhead cam...?
What is mileage on engine?
What maintenance was done previously?
Is the Check Engine Light ON? If affirmative, have the codes read and report.
DO you mean that if it gets over 3000 rpm all goes well again ? I guess rather that it starts acting up as soon as you reach around 2500-3000 and you cannot go past that point.....right?
YOU need fuel, spark and timing. First suspicion is always spark..that is, spark plugs, spark plug wires, coils...you have to start with something, first, with what is easy and part of a normal maintenance anyway.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
KeeperoftheCold
AF Newbie

Its a 96 with only 140,000 miles. there are no lights or other indications, but now that you mention it, the problem is acceleration between 2500-3000 rpm, above 3000 rpm it does start to spit and spuder. I would gladly accept a tuneup as the likely fix over any tranny problem.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:33 AM   #6
LMP
AF Enthusiast

OK.96 is in fact a DOHC...and problems with misfire are common but will very easily pop codes 0300 to 0304 as soon as a misfire occurs. ..in fact it pops various codes so easily for all sorts of reasons I'm surprised
you do not have the "little engine" light showing on right side of instrument panel (does it test ON at least when you first turn the key to ON?)
HOwever, misfire generally is wide across the engine regimes so happening just above 3000 rpm does not perfectly figure... Then a fuel delivery problem might be the cause..like lack of fuel pressure,
In any case, some testing must be done. What can you do yourself?
AND..at 140,000 miles, did you buy it new? Was the tming belt changed before and at what mileage?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
KeeperoftheCold
AF Newbie

I got this car very used, for about $200. I have no history on it. I looked and the engine light checks at startup. As for doing it myself, I have a standard set of tools and okay knowledge. Where do I begin? a tune-up? replace the fuel pump? I am open for suggestions.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
LMP
AF Enthusiast

..my philosophy is rather test than guess....Fuel pump is an expensive item..and taking it off is not necessarily easy..screws can shear off in their hole...or simply erode with the screwdriver..depends where you live and the extent of corrosion...(by the way, $200 for the sporty is a bargain, whatever the odds.)...so if you could have a test for fuel pump pressure, not just at idle, but also when you throttle up..to see if pressure goes down as demand increases... it should not, and pressure minimum is 35 psi. The test link www.avigex.ca/kia/fuelpressuretest.pdf
Any mechancs around should have a tester and the test is a matter of minutes so it is inexpensive if it avoids changing a $250 item.

..and testing for the codes is reported done for free at Autozone...though '96 might be "not standard"..not sure if it can be read by other than KIA shop....
IN any case, changing the spark plugs is something you can do for less than $20...instructions here:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=571775
Old 04-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
KeeperoftheCold
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 96 manual transmission prolem

Thanks for all the info. I will give these few things a try and see where it gets me. Will update when I get it done (probably in a couple of weeks).

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sportage