Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sportage
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
ShaolinMassa
AF Regular

Help Changing Spark Plugs Please

Hi guys, I am hoping someone can help me with this. I am trying to change the spark plugs on a 1999 Kia Sportage. From all the info I found they are under some type of plate. I looked at it and I see the plate, but I don't know how to take off the idle air control and intake pipe and other things above it. Does anyone know where I can get any help or some pics on how to do this? Thanks...
ShaolinMassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: Help Changing Spark Plugs Please

I just did it a few days ago. Looks more complicated than it is really. Bt it takes some time anyway. You need 12mm and 10mm sockets.
Intake duct is out with 5 bolts: three on left to the intake throttle body (12mm bolts) and 2 on right on top of valve cover.
DIsconnect electric plug to IAC valve; leave IAC valve on body unless you want to clean it, which you can do at any time anyway;
pry collars out and disconnect all rubber hoses. INtake duct is ready to be taken out. Mine came without damage to the gasket.
Remove cable holding clamp for throttle and transmission cables. I disconnected throttle cable from throttle body.
At rear, remove the intake damper (black plastic near firewall: one bolt (10mm) and rubber connector.
Now clean out all foreign material around plug cover and remove 6 10mm bolts.; take out plastic cover.
Now you are in business. www.geocities.com/lmp4203/kiasport/kiatop.JPG

remove front coil (10mm bolts) :
www.geocities.com/lmp4203/kiasport/kiacoil.JPG
this allows for changing plugs 2 and 3. They are deep under in these holes.
YOu need a spark plug socket with rubber holding device cause the plugs will have to stay in socket to be pulled out. Check for oil on spark plug bases: significant amount would call for more extensive work. Full details for extended procedure
HERE
Some steps suggested on this link are good preventive maintenance.

USE a generous coating of ANTISEIZE COMPOUND - no joke - on new plugs.
www.geocities.com/lmp4203/kiasport/antiseize.JPG
Failure to use it could mean the aluminum threads to come with the plug next time . Just ask for it when buying plugs.

Once done with 2 and 3, (drive with fingers, then drive to seat then 1/6 turn) go for the rear coil and change plugs 1 and 4.

I had to do the job on mine on emergency because it started to sputter and after a few days was finally almost unserviceable, anything more than 1/4 throttle would cause constant backfires and I had to manually switch gears to keep it over 4000 rpm where it could be used somewhat. Code P0302 indicated cylinder 2 misfire.....and this revealed true: look at plug:
www.geocities.com/lmp4203/kiasport/kiaplug2.JPG
it had developped a complete spark bypass and slightly damaged rubber connector too:
www.geocities.com/lmp4203/kiasport/kiaplug2s.JPG
Used a file to scrape connector to clean rubber , installed new plugs and everything is fine now. Will order new cables...

Last edited by LMP; 05-29-2006 at 01:53 PM.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
bbutchart63
AF Newbie

New to the site. Have looked through many links on procedure for changing spark plugs on our 2000 Kia Sportage and have finally found one. Even my CD manual doesn't tell the porcedure. I was almost going to write one up myself when I do the job. I do a lot of my own mechanical work, but this one is a puzzler, but many thanks to LMP whoever he is for doing this. It is very time consuming. This should make the job much easier.
bbutchart63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
bbutchart63
AF Newbie

Today, Sept. 7/07, just completed a sparkplug change on our 2000 Kia Sportage, took only an hour and 45 min. Did have oil on the #4 spark plug and from the information I have gathered its a leaky valve cover gasket. I didn't change it, but will do so soon. Thanks for the detailed procedure. Its not hard to do, just annoying removing everything to get at the plugs.

Last edited by bbutchart63; 09-15-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
bbutchart63
AF Newbie

Today, Sept 15/07, changed the valve cover gasket. Job took approx 2-1/2 hours fiddle fartin around, cleaning took most of the time. Go through the procedure to change the sparkplugs that is on this forum. You will have to remove the coils. If its not necessary to change the sparkplugs,then don't remove them. Then remove the 9 outside bolts on the cover and the inside six bolts. The are all #10 metric. Pry easily with a screwdriver and the cover should lift off. With it off, check for oil around the sparkplugs and use a rag to soak any excess oil around them. I had no problems, its pretty straight forward. I took the baffle plates off the under side of the valve cover and cleaned everything up. Make sure you have a good phillips screwdriver, as some of them are a little sticky to get out. If you have trouble, getting them loosend, try tightening them first, sometimes this cracks their seating and then they will come loose. Might as well clean out the PC valve too while your at it. I use brake wash, availible at your autoparts stores. I didn't use any silicone for the baffle plates, theres enought screws to hold them down. Make sure you seat the gasket into the groove of the valve cover and make sure it doesn't fall out when you place the cover on the motor. The assembly is just the reverse of taking it apart.
Don't tighten down the valve cover too tight. I used a inch-pounds torque wrench, 35-50 inch pounds is enough. Alternate your tightening sequence, don't tighten one side down and then the other, and don't forget the front bolt behind the timing belt cover like I almost did. If you got any mechanical savvy you will not have a problem.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
bartnubie
AF Newbie

LMP, I joined to find my husband help on changing Kia 2002 plugs. Thank you. This will help but he works best with pictures. Do you know where I can find pictures of all the stuff that has to be removed? He is not new to auto repair just Kia.

Thank you,
Barbie
bartnubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
LMP
AF Enthusiast

..mmm...I checked the kia help website www.kiatechinfo.com but what you haveabove and linked pictures is more than they offer...
The description above is rather exhaustive....will check in my files if I have more...and one or two more pics from my sporty to-morrow
HERE
and this, just before removing throttle cable bracket and then plastic cover
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g.../DSCN4872s.jpg

Last edited by LMP; 04-09-2008 at 06:45 PM.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
bartnubie
AF Newbie

Thank you. You efforts are appreciated.

Barbie
bartnubie is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD