Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
izwizzle
AF Newbie

93 Achieva problems

Ok this is the issue. I have a 1993 Achieva S that continuously needs to be jumped because of a dead battery. However this only happens when the fuse "radio/alarm" is in. When i remove the fuse I dont have this problem. However when it is in, and I drive the vehicle for long amounts of time (1hr+)...it won't start back up without being jumped. Im thinking that the radio is drawing large amounts of power from the battery and it isn't recharging while I am driving. Does anyone know what could cause this?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
izwizzle
AF Newbie

continued

Also...i was wondering if the 1993 Achieva had an option for a cd player. I was looking for a OEM cd player but i cant find one for any Achieva but 1994 and up. What is the difference between mine and the 1994 that is preventing me from using that radio?....If there wasnt an option, is there any other gm cd player that i can use in my car?
Old 05-14-2005, 07:40 AM   #3
caddyman379
AF Regular

hi,

assuming its the stock radio, it shouldn't be drawing large amounts of power. more likely than not, it isnt, its probably a bad altenator. pay attention to the volts gauge on the instrument panel as you drive.

the 92/93 achievas _did_ have an option for a cd player, but it was rare.

also, out of curosity

how many miles does it have on it
and is it the quad-4 engine?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:02 PM   #4
izwizzle
AF Newbie

Yes it is the stock radio....there are 130,000 miles. No its not the Quad 4 unfortunately, just the base engine. I'll be sure to check out the volt meter.

Oh yea and I did look in the user's manual and there was the cd player .
Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #5
izwizzle
AF Newbie

ok my achieva was sitting for about 2 years. Now when I drive it (we didnt have this problem before), the check oil lights comes on and off, the gas gauge sometimes reads empty even when I know that it isnt and the car is constantly showing that it is overheating, even when there is a full tank of coolant. I just got an oil change and the oil light is still coming on. I'm thinking maybe its the instrument panel, but the other day while driving on the highway, I smelled something burning exactly when the temp gauge showed it was in the danger zone. There was coolant in the tank but it wasnt full. I then filled it and still after driving the car on the highway at high speeds, it still shows that it is getting very hot and no coolant seems to have been used. I know there can be infinite things wrong here, but I just need some type of feedback because im getting frustrated.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:12 PM   #6
caddyman379
AF Regular

oil lights

i had a 1992 olds achieva, with the quad-4 engine in it. head gasket went at 82,000 miles a few months ago. the check oil light was on and off whenever it felt like it, and often times it would be on, but extremely dim, sometimes fully bright, and sometimes normal.

as far as overheating goes, there are _alot_ of problems to look at, i'd start by testing the thermostat. i've never actually taken one apart on this car, but generally you can remove the thermostat, and put it in hot boiling water and check if it opens and closes correctly.

or, you could just replace the thermostat..

there are lots of other things to look at, but i'd start with that.

let me know how it goes
Old 05-26-2005, 09:29 AM   #7
95OldsHO
AF Newbie

If there are no leaks in the cooling system, but your still using up coolant and running hot Id guess you have a bad headgasket. The coolant is being used because it is being pumped and burned in the engine, and the engine cannot remain at proper temp because there is no pressure able to build up in the cooling system due to the leaking headgasket, even with the proper coolant mixture and a full radiator you'll still overheat if there is a leak somewhere, pressure built up in a cooling system gives that system more ability to control heat, roughly 25* more. My Moms 96 Grand am 2.4L developed a tiny leak near the waterpump and the car would start to overheat if driven far enough, even though there was plenty of water in the system. Even the coolant mix can start to boil if not under pressure.

If you can get your hands on the tools or something you could try doing a coolant system pressure check, check the cap, and the system to see if it holds pressure.

Thermostat is a good place to start if you dont know when it was changed last, could be an easy and cheap fix.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:13 PM   #8
izwizzle
AF Newbie

Re: 93 Achieva problems

yeah...my check oil light does come on exactly like that. Sometimes fully lit, sometimes dull. So i'll start with checking the thermostat, then the headgasket. Thanks a lot
Old 11-20-2006, 02:52 PM   #9
randy78
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to randy78 Send a message via Skype™ to randy78

nothing wrong with the quad 4 as long as its the later one

the early ones were problematic

good engine

good luck
-'54 F100 302 C-6 -'57 F100 -'57 Bel Air HT 307 4spd '57 210 HT 4dr 265 3spd -'68 corvair monza convertible w/ PG -'79 C-20 -'80 K-20 -'82 K-10 SS -'82 TRANS AM WS7 HT 5.0L TH350 2400 stall blue/blue level III PMD cloth PG hood -'85 Elky SS 310ci 2004r fully restored 2008 -'88 buick century estate wagon 3800 4t40e, 91 s-10 2wd 4.3L, 96 taurus, '97 cavalier RS 2.2L, 5sd -'05 18ft car trailer, 98 achieva, 98 cherokee,
Old 11-20-2006, 05:41 PM   #10
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy78
nothing wrong with the quad 4 as long as its the later one

the early ones were problematic

good engine

good luck
Randy78,

Check the dates on the threads and last post. Please do not resurrect threads/posts greater than 3 months old. Thread closed.

POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
If a thread has been closed, there is probably a logical reason for it. If you feel that the reason(s) for closure of the original thread are unjustified or wish further clarification feel free to contact any member of the moderating team. However, do not start a new thread about another closed thread.

Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva