Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 08:48 AM   #16
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: OBDI/OBDII/CAN Code Readers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R.
I can get an AutoXRay 6000 for $400 or so and it does the ODBI/OBDII and CAN out of the box - at least that is what is advertised...

The Carcode OBD-II PC-Based Scantool that you referenced is very tempting, but I don't have a laptop (currently) and I don't want to buy one just for this purpose. I need one that is stand-alone with (maybe) the option for connection to a laptop. Very interesting, though...

Thanks for the references.
You are welcome

The AutoXRay is a good scanner. Good price And if it is can ready more good on it.
The old EZ link I have does have some pc based stuff with it and can be updated threw the pc.
Good luck
MT
Old 06-26-2006, 10:35 PM   #17
jbarsalou
AF Newbie

Can the Autoxray help interpret the data? I borrowed a cheaper data logger and was almost useless because I don't know what the correct values should be of sensors.

I see that the MT2500 is availible pretty cheap on ebay. Is this a good troubleshooter and also is it user friendly enough to figure out without training? What accessories are required for diagnosis for our blazers (mine is a '97).
2002 Mecham TA #002 M6
2002 Trailblazer LTZ 4WD
jbarsalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:18 AM   #18
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarsalou
Can the Autoxray help interpret the data? I borrowed a cheaper data logger and was almost useless because I don't know what the correct values should be of sensors.
If you consider the wide variation in sensor output between models and years, it is very difficult to have built-in a reference for the correct values of the sensor outputs. I rely on the manufacturer's maintenance manuals for that information.

Consider the variation possible in the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor just by changing the thermostat. Some are very predictable because they switch battery voltage on or off. I don't see how you could get them all correct though.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"

Last edited by Brian R.; 06-30-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:21 AM   #19
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

What are personality keys for a Snap-on scanner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-2500
Brian
A lot of people have gone to laptop soft ware.
But to read obd1 obd11 and can you will need a high end scanner.
Snapon MT-2500 is one of the better all around scanners.
I have used one for over 20 years. Never wears out or becomes obsolete
But the updates and new cartiages and can adapters will cost.
For just for obd11 Auto Xray is not bad. I use the ez link auto Xray for a backup scanner. Not sure if they have gone can yet. They say the 6000 auto Xray is a good one to.
Good obd11 import and domestic coverage. www.autoxray.com
Also bat auto tool store has some scanners and reviews and articles on them.
http://tools.batauto.com/
http://www.troublecodes.net/articles/
Also you can run a post in the general forum on bat auto and ask about scanners.
Good Luck MT

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #20
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R.
What are personality keys for a Snap-on scanner?
They are keys for the OBD11 adapter.
The keys are for different makes of cars that plug into ans set the obd11 adapter to read different makes.
Like ford GM CRY and Different imports.
There is about 15-20 different ones.
MT
Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #21
93LT
AF Regular

I have the AutoXray 6000. It has been a most valuable tool. I especially like being able to view the live data as the vehicle is being operated. With that information, having no codes to go by, I was able to determine my O2 sensor was failing rather than my EGR valve, just by watching the values in various situations.

You can store data on the Xray 6000, as well as the 5000 and 4000 which are identical with features disabled. For the money, if you want all features available and all the cables to connect to all the cars in one box, then the 6000 is the only logical choice (as for as AutoXray is concerned). If a person does not need OBDI out of the box, or at all, then the 5000 is for you. It is CAN ready and OBDII compliant with all cables. No OBDI cable, or ability to read it with out calling AutoXray and paying a small fee for the code to activate OBDI plus the fee for a OBDI cable. The amount of data these scanners can hold is very small, which is one of their draw backs. You have the ability to set the frequency in which it records the data to store, i.e. half second, second, two seconds, five seconds and so on. At the hald second interval, you can capture about 18 seconds worth of data. At the second interval, you get a little over 30 seconds worth of data. And, you can only have one stored data value. This is why the scanner is the price it is instead of 700 to 900 bucks.

The live data is what will be most useful to you. I seldom use the stored data feature much less transfer it to the PC. I bought mine on Ebay, came with the EZ Charge 200 for 429.00 and free shipping. It also had a 20.00 rebate, which took about 6 months to get. The neat thing about my scanner is it had the very latest firmware revision, which has been determined to be incompatible with the EZ charge 200, so I cannot use it. My choices are to send the unit to Autoxray and they will burn new firmware in to correct the problem with compatibility or not use the EZ Charge 200. I chose not to use the EZ charge 200.

The scanner has a back light feature which is nice, and necessary when using it in the dark. I just wish it had a dedicated button to turn it on and off. You have to go through the menu to do this, and that light will help eat the batteries pretty fast. Without the light on, the batteries last forever, or at least seem to.

1995 K1500 Ext. Cab Stepside
1997 Olds Bravada AWD
2001 Silverado LT 2500HD CC 4WD
2001 Yukon SLT 4WD
93LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #22
westsider
AF Newbie

I also have an autoxray 6000 and it is a great scanner. It will do more than enough for most people. The only thing that I would like it to do is bidirectional control but it doesnt. Other than that it is great.
westsider is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info