Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 09:37 AM   #136
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: PCV Oil Catch Can, see what your engine is burning!

Can I see a picture of your system installed into your truck? I would really like to see it installed in your engine bay to see how a person can install it on a 1996+ engine.

So you are saying that amount of oil being consumed of 1000+ miles is not worthwhile? It might be a little now, but multiply that over hundreds of thousands of miles and you can see the potential of removing on heck of a lot of oil from being burned in to your combustion chambers where it doesn't belong. This is the oil that fouls your plugs and you valves over time and PCV system is there for nothing but emmiossions, not performance or economy.

Deriving a negative conclusion based off what you have said is a little confusing.

Are you saying because it didn't extract a quart full of oil every 3000 miles that it is not a worthwhile mod? If it is not worthwhile, then why are you keeping it installed? Seems contradicting. It is a small investment and is is a worthwhile mod or so many people wouldn't be using it.

For the small investment, you sure will be keeping your engine a lot cleaner and the 1000s of people that use them would agree. The aftermarket industry is full of these PCV catch cans and a lot of higher performance vehicles use them liberally to keep their engine performance from being hindered by foul oil vapor.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #137
blazee
Problem?

Re: Re: PCV Oil Catch Can, see what your engine is burning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
Can I see a picture of your system installed into your truck? I would really like to see it installed in your engine bay to see how a person can install it on a 1996+ engine.

So you are saying that amount of oil being consumed of 1000+ miles is not worthwhile? It might be a little now, but multiply that over hundreds of thousands of miles and you can see the potential of removing on heck of a lot of oil from being burned in to your combustion chambers where it doesn't belong. This is the oil that fouls your plugs and you valves over time and PCV system is there for nothing but emmiossions, not performance or economy.

Deriving a negative conclusion based off what you have said is a little confusing.

Are you saying because it didn't extract a quart full of oil every 3000 miles that it is not a worthwhile mod? If it is not worthwhile, then why are you keeping it installed? Seems contradicting. It is a small investment and is is a worthwhile mod or so many people wouldn't be using it.

For the small investment, you sure will be keeping your engine a lot cleaner and the 1000s of people that use them would agree. The aftermarket industry is full of these PCV catch cans and a lot of higher performance vehicles use them liberally to keep their engine performance from being hindered by foul oil vapor.
I drive a little over 1,000 miles a week. With the filter installed I collected about a teaspoon of junk per 1,000 miles. Without the filter I collected about 4 teaspoons of junk per 1,000 miles. That amount would easily be disposed of by the engine.

I'm leaving it on because, I've already paid for the stuff and installed it. I also feel that the system alone (filter not installed) adds enough restriction to cause pollutants to build up in the oil, however, I don't believe this will be much of a factor for me, because I don't push my oil to it's limits, changing it at 6,000 instead of the 10,000+ that it could be pushed to.
blazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:50 AM   #138
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Re: Re: PCV Oil Catch Can, see what your engine is burning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazee
I drive a little over 1,000 miles a week. With the filter installed I collected about a teaspoon of junk per 1,000 miles. Without the filter I collected about 4 teaspoons of junk per 1,000 miles. That amount would easily be disposed of by the engine.
The engine is not meant to "dispose" of oil and therefore there will be drawbacks over time.

1 Teaspoon [US] = 0.0052083 quart [US, liquid] = 1000 miles

x 200 = just over a quart of oil consumed

Multiply that by four with the filter removed and you have over 4 quarts of oil consumed over its lifetime.

If you think any engine can consume 4 quarts and have no negative drawback you are seriously mistaken.

I know these are all approximate numbers but I know I dump over 1 teaspoon per 1000 miles with my truck and the amount of oil being trapped will increase as the engine starts to wear and the rings aren't holding as much compression as before.

The trapped oil I get is well over 3 teaspoons per 1000 miles. Getting that oil out of the system before it is burned and gums up my valves, poisons my cat and fouls my plugs is good new to me. It might be a small amount now, but multiply that over time and it adds up and seeing people put a lot more city mileage on their trucks, this will help it even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazee
I'm leaving it on because, I've already paid for the stuff and installed it. I also feel that the system alone (filter not installed) adds enough restriction to cause pollutants to build up in the oil, however, I don't believe this will be much of a factor for me, because I don't push my oil to it's limits, changing it at 6,000 instead of the 10,000+ that it could be pushed to.
And, it doesn't cause pollutants to build up, what you are seeing trapped is fuel impregnated blowby oil vapor that would have been going back into your oil that will now be trapped inside the separator. Also, if there was a restriction, your idle would be suffering. No idle problems, no PCV problems. This system keeps your oil cleaner.

For the price, this is a worthwhile mod. It doesn't cost much and the benefits reaped from having a smoother running engine that is not being doused with oil inside the combustion chamber.

LOL, I just don't get it, it is not worthwhile, but I will leave it installed?
Old 11-26-2005, 03:27 AM   #139
refrigerationdude
AF Newbie

Can you do this mod on any engine, such as a '98 Jeep? I have an extra one of those seperator things, bought it for a compressor then ended up buying a new compressor w/one already on it. Also, what is the cause of oil in the throttle body? This occured on a 91 lumina I worked on for someone in the family, went to clean the TB and found a lot of oil running out of it, and also in the air intake hose that attached to the TB. I'm thinking it came from a small hose that attaches to the front valve cover (breather?)

Thanks.
refrigerationdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:34 PM   #140
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

You can install it on any engine.

It is has a PCV system, you can reap the benefits of this simple mod.

It is really helping me in the winter with condensation control and the water it is separating is pretty amazing.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:59 PM   #141
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

when i first installed the system, the contaminants being separated looked like molassis. then after a few hundred miles, the contaminants started to become more and more liquified. idle has smoothed out a bit also.
Exterior Mods: Just Right

1987 Buick Turbo T Dark Red
Low 11 sec sleeper
.030 4.1 block, PT6262E, & other odds and ends....
My Cardomain
ZL1power69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:17 PM   #142
Rick1488
AF Enthusiast

Where does one find this product??
Rick1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:50 AM   #143
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

all the parts can be found at your local Lowes or Home Depot.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:06 PM   #144
srbianats
AF Newbie

Here is how it looks on my 98 Blazer LS 4x4.

srbianats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:14 PM   #145
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Wow, looks like it is catching some good amounts of oil there.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:29 PM   #146
srbianats
AF Newbie

I took that picture after replacing the intake gaskets. Drove around about 50 miles worth in 3 trips. Most of that is from driving agressive and highway driving. I put it back on so I can try to keep the intake as clean as possible after the work I just did on it.
srbianats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:18 AM   #147
drdd
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
Wow, looks like it is catching some good amounts of oil there.

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!!!

(just an old Zappa quote for all you old timers ... !!!)

anyhow, I've had this catch-can on for a while now ...

within the first 50 miles ... lots-o-stuff in the catch can ...

... lately ... I've gone a thousand plus miles (stop-n-go "city miles") and yet, nothing new in the catch can ... NOTHING !!!

then, I recently drove 500+ freeway miles and still ... still .. not ANYTHING in the catch-can !!! WTF !!!!

no driveability problems ... no codes ... no nothing ...

CATCH-CAN = 'TEMPORARY BLOW-BY REFLIEF ????'
drdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:50 AM   #148
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Can you tell if the line or filter are plugged or not?

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:54 AM   #149
drdd
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R.
Can you tell if it's plugged or not?
does'nt seem to be plugged ...

just, no additional stuff ...
drdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #150
DetroitMuscle
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to DetroitMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to DetroitMuscle

Free EPA friendly mod for me, glad I work with airtools constantly.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info