Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General news, articles, other.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 01:24 AM   #1
boingo82
Can't polish a turd.

Water pump kicked the bucket...am I getting owned????

First, a preface: I have a 1994 G with 109,6xx miles, so it's due for a water pump. For the last couple months, it's been leaking a little bit of fluid, but never enough that I could tell WHAT fluid. The puddle would be about the size of a quarter, maybe a little bigger.

Last week I was in Vegas, getting married, where the nearest Infiniti dealership is. So, had the pump started bawling then, I coulda gotten a G35 or I35 loaner....but NO....two days after I get back, the pump starts really weeping...OK, bawling its eyes out. I'm talking a 1' x 1' puddle here. I topped it off and didn't drive it, then topped it off and took it to the local Nissan dealer (whom I don't like) this morning. They confirmed that the puddle was indeed originating from the water pump (duh, it was doing the EXACT same thing in the EXACT same spot as when my Sentra's pump went out) and said I needed some additional work done:
$18--New radiator cap, the existing one's not holding pressure.
$59.95--New fuel filter
$89.95--Coolant flush because it's getting "muddy".
$73.00--new Power Steering and AC belts because the old ones are Very Cracked.

Then they suggested I get a full 90,000 mile tuneup - and an air filter change - because the car needs it, which is silly as Towbin Infiniti said that had been done already when I bought the car with 93,xxx miles. The air filter is ESPECIALLY silly, considering that this SAME NISSAN DEALERSHIP already replaced my air filter, with a K&N, 5 months ago, and there's NO WAY it's dirty already!!!

Suspiciously, they failed to notice that both of my front CV Boots are gone.
I had to make a decision today, as they have to order any and all parts, and the warranty only pays for 1 day rental car, so I told them to just do the belts, radiator cap, and (obviously) water pump. I will be doing the axles myself later. Do you think this was a reasonable decision?

p.s., If you ever want to REALLY appreciate your G, get a Saturn rental as I currently have. The thing feels like it's made of 100% plastic...oh wait, it is. No power mirrors, no power windows, no power locks (I had to lock all 4 doors BY HAND), and it doesn't play CDs or cassettes, just radio. It's a dirty piece-of-crap car and I miss my baby.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Fuel pump you can do on your own w/o too much work. I think I would have made the same decision on my G in the situation. Then as you're driving off, tell them what you think of them. :evillaugh

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:18 PM   #3
boingo82
Can't polish a turd.

I don't even believe them about the fuel filter, after what they said w/ the air filter, but I have the two axles on order at Autozone and will replace those this weekend.

I would be mad at my car right now, but after that Saturn, I can't help but love it. I never knew the meaning of "cheap plastic" or "bad fit'n'finish" until I sat in that car.