Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 05:41 PM   #16
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Yeah, I'm turbo and I get an average of about 30-35MPG as long as I don't get heavy on the gas all the time. You should get around the same out of a DSM.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 10:44 PM   #17
TatII
AF Fanatic

yes get the first gen dsm's. girls think its ugly but the gs-t and the gs-x can be made to go very very very fast.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 06:52 PM   #18
Vladimer
AF Newbie

ya, i was thining of an eclipse also, i look at cars.com and i found a link, u mean this car right??

http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/s...rc=&cid=&row=7
Vladimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 09:05 PM   #19
Polygon
The Red Baron

Yes, that car is an Eclipse GSX if you find the exact same car except it has FWD it is the GS-T. Both would be a great choice, there is also the Eagle Talon TSi and the Plymouth Laser RS Turbo. All of these are the same cars with different bodies.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:21 PM   #20
MadZ
AF Enthusiast

I've always been impressed with dsm's with the awd. I've seen them running 12's off of minimal mods. they run 14's stock, not bad for a 4-banger
I would definately buy 1st gen dsm awd over a civic any day.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.-- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy
MadZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 01:17 PM   #21
civicEX
AF Newbie

are they worth it :)

Look at all the domestic drivers posts Honda haters and stuff obviously. They are just pissed off because you can build a Honda to run 11 second quarters and still get 32mpg. You mentioned an eclipse? Man why would you want an eclipse over a Honda? I drag race on real tracks unlike most of these other wannabe posters. I run a CRX with the ORIGINAL motor in it (88 si) I run 12.3 second quarter miles and everything is still in it. I didn't strip anything just turbo charged it and upgraded a few other misc things on the motor. I also have a 99 EX (pics at www.h22a.com/adam ) that I upgraded a little bit with the stock motor still in it and even though it weighs a lot more then my CRX I still run 15 second quarters. I can smoke all over stock mustangs all day long in it. Hondas are way worth it man trust me. Don't let people mislead you man just because they don't understand how a 4cyl can smoke there big stroker bulk shit 6mpg motor. They have nothing on little compact cars especially Hondas! GL with your decision but I'm totally for the Honda. Go to www.civicland.com and ask them what they think of civics on the forums. They will give you honest feedback.

Good luck with your decision.
sk8ter@mchsi.com email me if you have any questions man.
-Adam
:finger:
Old 08-26-2002, 01:34 PM   #22
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
Somehow that last post reminds me of the 10 ricer arguments thread...

So what have you done with that motor in the CRX? Most have taken some serious internal mods to keep the thing from blowing up

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 02:17 PM   #23
Polygon
The Red Baron

Re: are they worth it :)

Quote:
Originally posted by civicEX
Look at all the domestic drivers posts Honda haters and stuff obviously. They are just pissed off because you can build a Honda to run 11 second quarters and still get 32mpg. You mentioned an eclipse? Man why would you want an eclipse over a Honda? I drag race on real tracks unlike most of these other wannabe posters. I run a CRX with the ORIGINAL motor in it (88 si) I run 12.3 second quarter miles and everything is still in it. I didn't strip anything just turbo charged it and upgraded a few other misc things on the motor. I also have a 99 EX (pics at www.h22a.com/adam ) that I upgraded a little bit with the stock motor still in it and even though it weighs a lot more then my CRX I still run 15 second quarters. I can smoke all over stock mustangs all day long in it. Hondas are way worth it man trust me. Don't let people mislead you man just because they don't understand how a 4cyl can smoke there big stroker bulk shit 6mpg motor. They have nothing on little compact cars especially Hondas! GL with your decision but I'm totally for the Honda. Go to www.civicland.com and ask them what they think of civics on the forums. They will give you honest feedback.
1. Not all domestics have gas sucking 8cylinder engines.
2. I never said I hate Honda, but stock for stock they aren't that fast compare to a lot of other cars out there.
3. I would love to see 11 second Hondas on stock internals and still get 32mpg, that’s BS!
4. It will take a lot of money, time, and mods to get any Honda running in the low 12s.
5. Big deal, 15s in the 1/4 after all those mods, I'm sorry to say, but that’s sad. And you are probably beating V6 stangs or 4cyl stangs. A GT would hand you your ass.
6. Your site will give an honest opinion? Sounds like a biased one from the looks of it. You and your pals probably don’t' know much about any cars besides Hondas and even your knowledge of them sounds limited.

Don't come in here and be an ignorant ass. We know what we are talking about so don't in here and give us crap about it, biased ass.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:29 PM   #24
kris
Off playing with fire.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has them.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 05:47 PM   #25
Polygon
The Red Baron

Yeah, it is when people think they are fact when it pisses me off.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:10 PM   #26
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

A Civic worth it? Maybe in the short term if you start off with a good one. But here's the catch. A Honda Civic has a very strong resale value, stronger than just about any other import in its class. Thus, used Civics command top dollar for good examples. The kicker? Other imports with equal or better stock performance and the chance to go even faster are in fact CHEAPER THAN THE CIVIC. For instance. In Ohio, at least, a 94 and up SI Civic Coupe, with the 1.6L V-tec engine, manual tranny, that isn't a death trap, will run you about $6000 dollars. By contrast, a similar S13 Chassis Nissan 240SX will run you about $1500-2000 or cheaper. My team mate picked up a 1989 SOHC 240 for $900 bucks. Then, throw in another 2 grand for a SR20DET (which is a bolt in save for some electrical work) and you've got a 220hp RWD sport coupe that's a bit prettier and more distinctive than a Civic, plus you've still got another $2000 dollars to play around with to make it a 300-350hp coupe that hangs with Mustangs, Camaros, RX-7's, and certain Vettes.

Now doesn't this make more sense?
Old 08-26-2002, 10:08 PM   #27
Fliquer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Fliquer
Unless you swap in a higher-output vtec engine, then base civics wont become sports cars. If you DO swap in a nice engine, like the GS-R engine or civic SI engine, then youre on your way to a fast car. Turbo these babies and you can get around 250-300 horsepower. That is a LOT more than it sounds because these cars weigh anywhere from 500 to 1000 lbs less than a mustang or camaro.

Other than that, a civic will outhandle any domestic and the reliability of these things is a huge weight off ones shoulders. But if you are just looking for cheap, straight-line speed, then a V8 stang is going to be your best bet.
Urethane bushings in all control arms and subframe
Cone Filter
Next up: LSD

RIP #05
Fliquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 10:23 PM   #28
street_racer_00
AF Fanatic

probably closer to 250, but that is splitting hairs. But yeah you could swap a B-18B engine in, and you could make it plenty fast enough. It's just a question of whether or not you have the money to do such a thing. In the long run, it might turn out that the money you spent making your civic fast would be enough to buy a car that could be faster stock, I've seen it happen, so whatever you do, don't fall into that trap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiesMan
I got to see boobiues!
street_racer_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 11:45 PM   #29
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
Re: are they worth it :)

Quote:
Originally posted by civicEX
Look at all the domestic drivers posts Honda haters and stuff obviously
im an import driver, not a domestic driver. i have owned one civic and i currently own another honda. i like honda hatchbacks and integras, and LOVE s2000's and nsx'x. i am far from a honda hater. so what i am about to say is coming from a honda fan and import driver.

Quote:
They are just pissed off because you can build a Honda to run 11 second quarters and still get 32mpg.
no you cant. show me one.

Quote:

You mentioned an eclipse? Man why would you want an eclipse over a Honda?
eclipse turbo, 210hp 215 torque, 14 second quarters stock with a good driver, and 13's for less than a grand. civic si, 169hp 11 torque, high 15s stock, and itll take a lot of money to even pull 13s on the stock motor. thats why.

Quote:
I drag race on real tracks unlike most of these other wannabe posters.

i'd just about guarantee you ive been on tracks more than you. probably 5 times more. how bout you show us a stack of your timeslips and ill show my stack, well see whos been down a track the most.

Quote:
I run a CRX with the ORIGINAL motor in it (88 si) I run 12.3 second quarter miles and everything is still in it. I didn't strip anything just turbo charged it and upgraded a few other misc things on the motor.

BS. lets see pics and timeslips. if it is true, just how much have you spent on that thing? and how reliable is it? oh yeah, does it still get 32 mpg :hehehe:

Quote:
I also have a 99 EX (pics at www.h22a.com/adam ) that I upgraded a little bit with the stock motor still in it and even though it weighs a lot more then my CRX I still run 15 second quarters. I can smoke all over stock mustangs all day long in it.

15 second quarters are slow man, especially for a modded car. and 15 secondquarters will not have you beating v8 mustangs. whatever mustangs you "beat" probably arent actually racing you back, or you fly past them after theyve already let off and hit the brake. ricer kill.

Quote:
Hondas are way worth it man trust me. Don't let people mislead you man just because they don't understand how a 4cyl can smoke there big stroker bulk shit 6mpg motor.

most ls1's (thats a camaro/furebird in case you didnt know) get over 25mpg, while running mid-low 13's and even high 12's with very little mods.

Quote:
They have nothing on little compact cars especially Hondas! GL with your decision but I'm totally for the Honda. Go to www.civicland.com and ask them what they think of civics on the forums. They will give you honest feedback.

yeah im sure the people at civic land will give an unbiased opinion on civics
LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 11:20 AM   #30
Fliquer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Fliquer
In general, I see more domestic bashing from the import guys than import bashing from the domestic guys. (im not talking about this thread).
Urethane bushings in all control arms and subframe
Cone Filter
Next up: LSD

RIP #05
Fliquer is offline   Reply With Quote