Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #31
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Re: V8 5.7 liter 300ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMan
Jesus, its like the Nissan brand has turned into a damned religion. I don't think that anyone can deny that the LS1 is a half decent engine. A good engine, a good car, who cares who makes each? I'm sick of all the purists out there who put on their blinkers and will only consider the same manufacturer or even same goddamned engine.
Heres a tip for free: The z32 isn't anything special; its a fucking nice looking car with some excellent handling and a brilliant engine. Now if you swap in a LS1, guess what? Its a fucking nice looking car with some excellent handling and a brilliant engine.
Cmon people, give credit where credit's due. Chev have made a good engine but no one can recognise that because they're too preoccupied with the (superfluous) import vs. domestic debate that everyone seems to have an uneducated opinion on.
Personally, I don't care who the fuck makes my engine or chassis, as long as it looks good and performs good, just like I don't care who makes my toothbrush, who makes my socks or who makes my scramby eggs on toast in the morning.
Merits should be awarded on a case by case basis. Leave the blind evangelical brand-following to the ricers and you'll always come out in front.

-Mike
very well said...i have no problem admitting that the LS1 is a great engine. and i agree with everything you said...

now the bottom line still is that i would never put a LS1 in my 300zx...my opinion, just like your opinion is that you would consider it swapping an ls1 in your 300zx.

i dont know if you guys think i am saying that the LS1 is a shitty engine and nissan is better or you guys are talking about someone elses comments in this thread...because i dont really mind seeing an LS1 in a 300zx but i would never do it myself...

just trying to make myself clear in case you guys are referring to my comments...

but seriously, you guys have an opinion and everyone else has an opinion...just because someone elses opinion is against yours (in this case, they do not like the idea of a LS1 in a 300zx), doesnt make it uneducated. this is a place to come and share your opinions and then people get their panties in a bunch when people take a different side.

who cares what soemone else thinks about an LS1 engine in a 300zx and who the hell cares if someone thinks it is a good idea...bottom line, the owner if the car can do what ever they want with THEIR car so deal with it...bunch of babies!!!
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 05-11-2005, 03:31 PM   #32
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Hey, some of my best friends are purist. One is so pure he won't even use a bolt or screw unless it came from the same year as his car, but I've never heard one of them ever put down or flame someone for doing something different to there car.
But if you put a Peugot engine in your car and it wasn't a Peugot, I wouldn't be upset,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'd cut your balls off.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #33
MikeMan
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to MikeMan
Re: V8 5.7 liter 300ZX

Fair call k3, but the post wasn't directed at you.
I'm a big fan of respecting other people's opinions as long as they're educated opinions. The people with the uneducated opinions I was referring to are the die-hard jap fanboys who would buy japanese bolts for their car or the redneck who goes down the pub with his mates and bags everything that isn't ford etc.

-Mike
Old 05-11-2005, 05:08 PM   #34
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMan
Fair call k3, but the post wasn't directed at you.
I'm a big fan of respecting other people's opinions as long as they're educated opinions. The people with the uneducated opinions I was referring to are the die-hard jap fanboys who would buy japanese bolts for their car or the redneck who goes down the pub with his mates and bags everything that isn't ford etc.

-Mike
yeah i understand...no biggie. i totally agree with you...i would still like to see pictures of an LS1 in a 300zx of some sort. i think the Z32 would not be a good option for the LS1 because of the fact the VG30DETT is already more than enough of a potent engine. unless you were in Mexico as zgringo explained that you cannot have a TTZ or you wanted massive amounts of power that a FI 5.7L can accomplish much easier than a 3.0L. i understand some circumstances but in most cases the VG30DETT is more than sufficient for delivering the power that most people wouldnt go beyond and this should be the motor in the car just like the LS1 should be in the GM family. but if someone wants to swap in LS1 in a 300zx or any other motor for that motor...i could care less and if they did a good job and they did it right, i have no problem giving them a pat on the back for a job well done.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 05-11-2005, 07:28 PM   #35
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

the way i look at it is, try bragging about swapping a v6 into a camaro, and see what sort of responces you get from 99.9% of the camaro owners... however, it's not just the ls1 engine i'm against, i'm against detriot muscle, in imports that is.... i'll take any of the old mopar's any day of the week, but that's because they're vintage, and purpose built for 1 thing... and that's drag racing...

sure you can drop in a massive v8 powerplant (referring to the older beastly amrican models that weigh 2.3 tonnes) and go super fast in a straight line, but that's not what a z was made for... people seem to forget that its original design was a GT car, something luxurious, relatively speedy, and fun to drive through the twisties (the zx's that is... the older z's were less luxury oriented) now it's much harder to take a turn with a 543058435934lb iron brick under the hood compared to the iron brick that is the vg.. it takes way more effort to make it handle the same way....

i'm not trying to preach, i'm just trying to explain the angle i'm coming from... and yes, i am quite the purist when it comes to my beloved z's...
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:11 PM   #36
shaddoe
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeleriousZ
the way i look at it is, try bragging about swapping a v6 into a camaro, and see what sort of responces you get from 99.9% of the camaro owners... however, it's not just the ls1 engine i'm against, i'm against detriot muscle, in imports that is.... i'll take any of the old mopar's any day of the week, but that's because they're vintage, and purpose built for 1 thing... and that's drag racing...

sure you can drop in a massive v8 powerplant (referring to the older beastly amrican models that weigh 2.3 tonnes) and go super fast in a straight line, but that's not what a z was made for... people seem to forget that its original design was a GT car, something luxurious, relatively speedy, and fun to drive through the twisties (the zx's that is... the older z's were less luxury oriented) now it's much harder to take a turn with a 543058435934lb iron brick under the hood compared to the iron brick that is the vg.. it takes way more effort to make it handle the same way....

i'm not trying to preach, i'm just trying to explain the angle i'm coming from... and yes, i am quite the purist when it comes to my beloved z's...
i'm guessing that you do know that a ls1 motor is all aluminum. there is a major difference in the ls1 to the lt1 motors. i would take a ls1 motor over the older vintage motors because the ls1 out of the box would spank the ass off those stock motors, those motors couldn't come close to turning the rpm's the ls1 motor turns.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:54 PM   #37
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: V8 5.7 liter 300ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddoe
i'm guessing that you do know that a ls1 motor is all aluminum. there is a major difference in the ls1 to the lt1 motors. i would take a ls1 motor over the older vintage motors because the ls1 out of the box would spank the ass off those stock motors, those motors couldn't come close to turning the rpm's the ls1 motor turns.
yeah but even it is now outdated...all motors are gonna go out of date. that is just the way technology is. he 300ZX was one of the best there was in 1990 just like the LS1 is probably one of the best all around engines 5 years ago. but now it is going out in place of the new bigger displacment LS series motors.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 05-11-2005, 11:24 PM   #38
shaddoe
AF Regular

the ls1 isn't top dog anymore but is still a current engine in factory cars rolling off the line right now. if i wanted to spend a lot more money i would go with a ls6 but for the money a brand new ls1 crate motor is hard to beat with the performance it has and the weight is not really that bad. with that said i use lt1 motors because of the apllication we have using a transaxle. the ls1's oil pan is a major problem with getting in the way for a starter to engage the smaller flywheel for the transaxles we use. i don't know what i'm gonna do with the day comes that my na engine is gone. btw, i mounted my bumper finally and have the front all together. i'll take some pics, i still have body work to do on the doors and rear quarters before painting.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:04 AM   #39
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-

Quote:
now it's much harder to take a turn with a 543058435934lb iron brick under the hood compared to the iron brick that is the vg.. it takes way more effort to make it handle the same way....

You realise the LS1 motor weighs 425lbs with accesories?

A VG30DETT weighs in the area of 600bs with all the turbo stuff thrown in. (I asked my friend who did his own VG30DETT swap into his Z32 2+2. Fun car. Very sleeper, stock exhaust so all you hear is the Blow-off valves.)

Thus, you'd reduce weight and make more power. Plus, you'd have a 6 speed. Overall, it'd be faster out of the hole... stop quicker... turn harder...

A better Z perhaps? Perhaps.

I won't even mention that if you were to slap in a LS2, the newest version of the LS line of badass motors. You'd have 400hp and 395ft-lbs of torque out of the crate And still weigh the same.

I won't argue ethics with you on what you should like. But I don't think you should be so opposed to an idea, that fundamentally can make the car do what it was supposed to do... only better.

BUT, since the Z32 with LS1 is a faux car. This thread is fairly meaningless now.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:10 AM   #40
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Quote:
...sure you can drop in a massive v8 powerplant (referring to the older beastly amrican models that weigh 2.3 tonnes) ...
holy shit people.... do you see any mention of the ls1 in there? no, i didn't say anything about it, because i don't know enough about the engine to make any comments about it... i was talking about the average 350/454/whatever godawful things people use these days...

i'd really like to see what nissan could do with a twin turbo'd aluminum block engine.. unfortunately i don't think we'll see that for a long long time...
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:23 AM   #41
shaddoe
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: V8 5.7 liter 300ZX

Quote:
holy shit people.... do you see any mention of the ls1 in there? no, i didn't say anything about it, because i don't know enough about the engine to make any comments about it... i was talking about the average 350/454/whatever godawful things people use these days...

i'd really like to see what nissan could do with a twin turbo'd aluminum block engine.. unfortunately i don't think we'll see that for a long long time...
don't look now but this thread and whole discussion was started about swapping a ls1 into the z.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:14 AM   #42
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

i know what it started with, and you know how every single thread goes off topic eventually... i'm just helping it along
ZedEx Crew Member #6

Old 05-12-2005, 03:44 AM   #43
MikeMan
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to MikeMan

Yeah why don't we shift the discussion onto a discussion of the new(ish) LS2 engines. They seem bloody decent but a mate at holden said that it has some oil distribution problems and the average lifetime before they come in for a bottom-end rebuild is 75,000km
I don't know how true this is, but if this is the case then good luck to GM trying to make the whole exercise profitable.

-Mike
Old 05-12-2005, 01:52 PM   #44
Bdetore
AF Enthusiast

O.k. Let's take another tangeant. We've discussed some of the LS1, LS2 pros and cons. What about Mopar? I bet that's a hot button. Imagine a Z with a Hemi in it? 5.7 or the new 6.1 take your pick. Plenty of fuel for a fire there. I don't really imagine there's much chance of it happening, but let's let the mind wander for a minute. Pros and cons? Hell, let's take it a little further. What about a mustang motor? 4.6 or 5.4? Have at it fellas,.... Now take any of those motor options and put a Paxton or a Vortech on it. Since I've pretty well shit all over the line of sacrelidge when it comes to this question about engine swaps with this post, let's have some more colorful discussion. Just so you know,...I'm serious on this one. What if?
Old 05-12-2005, 03:34 PM   #45
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdetore
O.k. Let's take another tangeant. We've discussed some of the LS1, LS2 pros and cons. What about Mopar? I bet that's a hot button. Imagine a Z with a Hemi in it? 5.7 or the new 6.1 take your pick. Plenty of fuel for a fire there. I don't really imagine there's much chance of it happening, but let's let the mind wander for a minute. Pros and cons? Hell, let's take it a little further. What about a mustang motor? 4.6 or 5.4? Have at it fellas,.... Now take any of those motor options and put a Paxton or a Vortech on it. Since I've pretty well shit all over the line of sacrelidge when it comes to this question about engine swaps with this post, let's have some more colorful discussion. Just so you know,...I'm serious on this one. What if?
i dont even know why the hemi is making a come back...it is the most outdated motor still produced...come on. 2 valves per cylinder??? give me a break...just imagine if dodge would have did a little engineering for once and designed a motor similar to the Hemi except updated.

4.6L ford V8...still going with the single overhead cam huh??? come on fellas...the only reason these cars still sell is because of the name and the cult following.

yes there are pros to both engines but for the most part, both companies are eventually gonna have to update...whats gonna happen when every other company in the world has been making small steps forward and these 2 companies have to make a leap to updated technology. can you say disaster???
ZedEx Crew Member #4

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)