Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Who's faster!
Stang 10 38.46%
Supra 16 61.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 12:51 AM   #31
3kgt8
AF Enthusiast

Re: Supra VS Stang?!

it seems to me that all kman does is care too much about weight. there are other factors beside weight.
3kgt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 01:28 AM   #32
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

Well, obviously drivetrain layout and weight balancing are the biggest intrinsic factors when determining the handling prowess of an automobile, but a car's raw curb weight is one the hardest things to change about it. You can do all the lightening/gutting you want to your car, and it's only gonna lose 200-300 pounds. In my opinion, the Corvette takes a much better approach to achieving maximum handling ability than the GT-R. The Corvette has evener weight balancing than the Skyline, not to mention a lot less weight in the first place. The suspension is pretty low-tech, but there are gobs and gobs of aftermarket upgrades for the Corvette if you plan to take it racing. In fact, the Corvette is the second most popular car (after the Viper Competition Coupe) in SCCA manufacturer-based road racing. The Corvette is a sports car, with loads of low end power, a heavy clutch and notchy shifter, weighty steering, and excellent handling. The Skyline is a grand touring car, weighed down needlessly by creature comforts, traction control systems, a highly advanced AWD drivetrain, and a twin-turbo + intercooler setup.

It's not that I think the GT-R is a crappy car; I just think it's confused about what it wants to be. If I wanted a daily driver, I'd buy a Mercedes-Benz E-Class, not a Nissan. And if I wanted a sports car, I'd buy a Corvette -- low-tech suspension, crappy interior and all.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:11 AM   #33
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

well after seeing a stock skyline rape a stock RX-7 on the track, i wouldn't call it a grand touring car.

it is indeed a sports car and acts like one.

just because my moms contour wieghs less than my car doesn't mean it has a huge advantage over me in handling, catch my drift?

the overall balance, what wheels are spinning(rwd awd fwd) the steerings reaction time, BRAKES, suspension list goes on and on.

the corvette has traction controll too ya know, so does the M3- and we know the M3 handles pretty well right.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:38 AM   #34
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Supra VS Stang?!

I disagree with the whole z06 beatin the skyline in qt. Have you ever heard of veilside *smurk* the R34 that is light weighted so much and has ran 1668 Hp on the dyno"! Crazy but the fastest times are set by R33s check www.exvitermini.com
" ~ Igor
jcsaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 12:05 PM   #35
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

youngvr4, I know all of that, but it doesn't really matter since the Z06 is RWD and has all of those bases covered. Things like brakes, tires, and suspension are upgradable - curb weight and weight balancing are not so much.

Anyways, I'm probably gonna get owned/gangraped, so I concede this thread. I still don't like the GT-R though, it's definitely not the God Car that everyone makes it out to be, and I believe that the Z06 would beat it around almost any track.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:31 PM   #36
91300zxtt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 91300zxtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman10587
youngvr4, I know all of that, but it doesn't really matter since the Z06 is RWD and has all of those bases covered. Things like brakes, tires, and suspension are upgradable - curb weight and weight balancing are not so much.

Anyways, I'm probably gonna get owned/gangraped, so I concede this thread. I still don't like the GT-R though, it's definitely not the God Car that everyone makes it out to be, and I believe that the Z06 would beat it around almost any track.
it will beat it around any track, stock wise. with mods and what not you will never know
91300zxtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 12:31 PM   #37
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Quote:

Bravo...

Atleast someone speaks their mind here.

Me I feel strongly about the GTR (r34 anyway)

The GTR is an amazing lookin car and the engine that powers it is also amazing massive amounts of power. The Flat 6 is probly one of the best engines to date look which other cars use it ex the porsche carrera and of course the meanest street car of all the Dauer 962 le mans. The body of the Gtr is pure ART. The lights and grill define that its a GTR and its not just for show. The Z06 is dull,blant & just plain boring. There not real styleflip up lights come on? The back is over sized espcially since its a "FR" you would think the car is MR just lookin at it for the first time. As far as im concernd stock for stock the z06 is faster but if the GTR had that much hp the z06 would get raped basically a TK engine or 400R engine but modified for an Rb26 would rape a Z06 around the track. The other thing is the z06 is all stock the gtr is for the serious race enthusiast. The attesa system isnt just made for 4wd transfers its meant for the driver to track his records/data on the track. See where the driver went wrong. The z06 is nice but power isnt all I look for in a car style,history, track stability & attitude! You can disagree all you want but the gtr will always be my fave.
" ~ Igor
Old 09-25-2004, 03:36 PM   #38
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

the skyline doesn't use a flat six.
it's an inline six.
flat = boxer
(e.g flat four as in the subaru, flat six in the 911, flat 12 in the old ferrari 365 boxer).

and about the 4WD in the skyline.
what the whole system does is provde power to the wheels as needed.
AND
even then, the power distibution isn't even/equal between the four wheels.
for the most part, the skyline is more or less rear drive, adding power to a wheel (or taking some away for that matter) as needed.
add to that the rear wheel steering means that the skyline can corner pretty tightly for a relatively portly car.

remember guys, it has four good seats
AND
a decent boot.

i have no idea about the Z06
but i do have respect for it,
especially the jumps they're making to the new one.
an american car that is actually getting smaller!
(sorry, couldn't resist a quick dig...)

and um, someone mentioned the RX-7.
well, that's not really fair.
the rotaries are notorious for having very little low end torque, something that the GT-R has in bucket loads.
on the right track though where the RX-7 can keep the engine singing, things might be different.....
well, maybe....

DM.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 06:05 PM   #39
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

I see what you mean; the Skyline does a lot with what it has, and it is the purest embodiment of Japanese engineering: maximum efficiency. I have tremendous respect for the car, but when it comes down to it, I just don't think it has what it takes to best a Corvette. The Skyline GT-R is indeed a very tunable car, but so is the Corvette. It's low, light, and aerodynamic. You can get it to 1000 hp easily with a good twin turbo setup. And because it is so popular as a road racing car, the brakes/suspension upgrades for it are substantial. Its handling capabilities have been pushed to the limit in many different situations, and they have been found to be extremely high.

I'm afraid I came off as slanted and biased towards the 'Vette - both of these cars are awesome and I'd love to own either one. The Corvette gets the job done better, but there's definitely something special at the GT-R that can't be put forth through words.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:32 AM   #40
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

.....and i think part of the appeal of the skyline is the supposed bhp figures.

oh yeah, a R34 really does only have 290ish bhp.....
it revs higher AND has more torque than the R33.
you do the maths...

it was kinda naughty and that's what people like,
especially the japanese, with respects to their culture.
it was kinda like a little kid saying "yes mummy, i only had two biscuits".

another attraction of the car is that it is so well put together.
i've only ever sat in a R33 but it still clear that the quality of the car is way better than any other (top end) japanese car, except maybe the nsx.
as most reviews of them have said, they were germanic in feel if not in design.

let's not forget that in japan they are only about £30,000-£35,000.

......the Corvette. It's low, light, and aerodynamic. You can get it to 1000 hp easily with a good twin turbo setup
skylines are legendary because of godzilla.......

anyway.
i'm not siding with either car here as i believe that it's pointless.
anything you can do with one car you can do with another.
it almost always boils down to how much money you have to spend.

after all, there's nothing stopping me from ripping up my little yaris to shreads and wedging the engine+transmission from an elise.....
or from the 360 for that matter.
all it takes is money, time and skilled people helping me.
(incidentallly, has anyone seen the gt40 disguised as an old 'mini'?)

here especially, the two cars are again, not really directly comparable.
what is best depends on what you want from it.
besides, the focus of both cars are different.

one is designed to be a sports-car.
two seats, nice v8, good ride quality (shame about the quality of the interior but who cares).

the other is a family car (remember that the skyline is a range, not a single car) that happens to have a slightly mad big brother, which again is part of it's appeal.

i mean, the skyline IS a sensible car
AND
a super performer (even stock).

in everyday situations that is a combination that is very hard to beat.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 08:20 PM   #41
91300zxtt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 91300zxtt

newbie obviously cant tell sarcasm
91300zxtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 09:16 PM   #42
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

lol keepin the thread alive are we?...
" ~ Igor
Old 09-26-2004, 09:46 PM   #43
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

Quote:

c'mon kman, we wouldn't gangrape you

i understand what your saying, i did the first time you said it. its just in the way you said, seemed to me that other people reading could get the wrong idea and think (well on af they said if the car is lighter its faster) ya know.

it was mostly for others reading, not directed towards you
Old 09-26-2004, 10:02 PM   #44
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

I know, I'm horrible at wording my arguments. I always come off as biased and stereotypical.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:36 PM   #45
Vettribution87
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Supra VS Stang?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsaleen
The Z06 is dull,blant & just plain boring.
Wow! I feel the same way about the Skyline. I can tell I’m not alone in this opinion due to the sheer number of Skylines with excessive body mods.
The Skyline looks just too reserved and many owners will add on body mods to pep it up a bit. Hardly a body design worthy to be designated as ART. If the Skyline's body is art then the WRX must be the Sistine Chapel on wheels.

True the Skyline may be classified as a sports car with exceptional performance but it sure as hell doesn’t look the part.

"I am ispeptic, phasmatic even compuntious to cause you such perry combobulations."
E. Blackadder 1827
Vettribution87 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons