Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 03:35 PM   #1
gpgt98
AF Newbie

01 4.3 V6 no start

I have 2001 Silverado 4.3 V6. It turns over and starts for 1 -2 seconds and dies.
I smell gas. Plugs, wires and distributor cap have been replaced. It's been sitting over the winter but I've started it a few times. Most recently a couple weeks ago and let it run 5 minutes or so. Will a squirt of ether help?
EDIT: This truck also has a number of codes: P0102 Mass air flow circuit signal low. P0141 O2 heater circuit Bank 1 sensor 2. P0160 Low O2S activity bank 2 sensor 2. P0170 fuel system to lean Bank 1. AND most recently P0440 fault in evap emission system. - Yes I know this is a mess. Just wondering if I replace a canister purge valve would this be a fix to get it started?

Last edited by gpgt98; 02-21-2024 at 10:38 PM. Reason: More information
gpgt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:58 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: 01 4.3 V6 no start

It could be very helpful to test fuel pressure. The CPFI systems require a consistent 58 PSI fuel rail pressure (at a minimum) to start reliably.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:39 PM   #3
gpgt98
AF Newbie

I added more information if you could check it out please. Thank!
Old 02-22-2024, 08:08 AM   #4
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Even with a disconnected MAF, a dead oxygen sensor, and plugged EVAP it should start and run. It isn't going to like the disconnected MAF, and may not start and run ideally, but it should start. The PCM will basically ignore the OČ and EVAP until it achieves closed-loop mode anyway, after reaching temperature.

I had a couple of 2000 Chevys with the 262 V-6 and could remove the inlet ducting completely, which takes the MAF right out of the system, then start the engine and clean the throttle body while running. Of course the codes would need to be cleared after putting it all back together, but it would start and run fairly normally.

I still have an '03 half-truck with the 262, and can do the same thing.

On ANY of those, if the fuel pressure was not at least 58 PSI, there was no chance of starting due to the injectors relying upon that pressure to open. I had two of those with weakening fuel pumps that wouldn't consistently hold that pressure, and documented the situation thoroughly. Get a fuel pressure tester and check the pressure while cycling the pump. O'Reilly out near 151 probably has a "loaner" program that will let you rent one.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:17 AM   #5
gpgt98
AF Newbie

I got 44 lbs of fuel pressure, although I don't think I got the gauge on tightly as the fitting on a 01 4.3 is WAY in the back and almost impossible to get o without taking a wire harness bracket off. Fuel did spit out when I took the fitting for the gauge off.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:43 PM   #6
maxwedge
A990 racer

If in fact it is below 50, not gonna start.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:03 PM   #7
gpgt98
AF Newbie

Now that we have said under 50 lbs of pressure it will not start, it seems the fuel pump is doing its job, there is no leak in the lines. The fuel filter was replaced last year. What else can be the problem?
Old 03-13-2024, 01:35 PM   #8
gpgt98
AF Newbie

I finally has a local shop fix this. They were going to replace the gas line but first they looked at a few other things, namely the fuse box under the hood that had at least one bad fuse. They didn't tell me which one, which kind of pissed me off. It would be nice to know which one(s) could affect the running of the truck in this way. A simple fix that cost over 400 bucks. (I had put down a deposit on new gas line replacement). They said my deposit covered the "repairs" the did. NO shit.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado