Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
skate1968
AF Regular

OBD considerations when buying a car

Hi,

I am looking to buy another used Honda Civic.

Are they're advantages to buying a "pre OBD" vs OBD1 vs OBD2A vs OBD2B civic? Is there an OBD setup that i should avoid?

Are the OBD1 OR OBD2A OR OBD2B civics more difficult to get past inspection? more difficult to fix? do any of them cause problems?

Am i overanalyzing this? being overly concerned?

I am NOT interested in building a race car.

Civics that are 91 and prior appeal to me as they are pre OBD and sound simplier. Another 91 civic sounds good as the one i owned was easy to fix -- pre OBD. But i want to make an informed decision. And want to take advantage of the best buying option that i find.

In my home state of Pennsylvania my 91 civic had lots of wiggle room when trying to get by emissions. Meanwhile i know that my mechanic had loads of trouble with newer OBD2 models (an engine light that went off 3 moths ago would create problems when trying to pass inspection).

Thanks very much for reading and for providing lots of great money saving advice over the years. Excellent forum.
skate1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Re: OBD considerations when buying a car

I won't hold it against you that you're from the "wrong" side of PA. LOL j/k j/k

At any rate, I would say the biggest downfall of going pre-OBD is simply the age and mileage of those vehicles. They're going to have a TON of miles, have had a number of owners which may/may not include "ricer boys" who attempted to race (read: beat upon) the older/cheaper cars just because they could afford them.

My 97 Civic came to me with 186k on the clock and now has 202k on the clock (I've owned it just over a year) and it's OBD I as I recall. Never had a problem with it passing emissions (although I'm now in TN which has looser emissions standards than PA does). It's just a right solid car - and in buying it from a private party I was able to get every maintenance record he had done to it while in his possession.

Ultimately, I'd say that any Civic other than the newest generation (I just had a brand-shiny new 2012 Civic for the last month with all kinds of fun gadgets, but I assure you I would NOT want to have to fix anything on it) will be fairly hands-off as long as its been maintained through its lifetime.

Keep us updated on what you decide!

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
skate1968
AF Regular

thanks speediva!
The Following User Says Thank You to skate1968 For This Useful Post:
speediva (02-14-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Absolutely! Don't forget to check out the Civic forums (sorted by "generation") to see the details on each iteration.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speediva For This Useful Post:
skate1968 (02-16-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
skate1968
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediva View Post
Absolutely! Don't forget to check out the Civic forums (sorted by "generation") to see the details on each iteration.
I won't.

Someone on the EF forum advised me to dump 20w-50 into my smoker and it served me very well for years. I really ought to go back and thank him -- very simple yet very effective, money saving advice. Especially when starting it up in the summer!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A