Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
stevenrh
AF Newbie

Kia Engines

Hi all, does anybody know if a Sephia engine will fit into a Rio. The timing belt broke, and ruined the engine. I was wondering if the sephia will fit right into the rio?

thanks!!
steven
stevenrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
cbeck
AF Regular

Re: Kia Engines

I am not sure, but don't think so. I believe the newer sephias are now using a Hundai engine as well...

If you have rio measurements and year I could probably get you some measurments on the sephia.

anybody else?
Old 05-12-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
CanaMark
AF Enthusiast

I wouldnt use no kia engine as a swap. Use american. Buddy of mine was going to buy a Kia, I kept on telling him that Kia's are not good at all. Until he heard a few other people repeat what I said, he bought a Dodge Dakota. I dont know why he didnt go with 4x4 crew cab. He went 2wd ext cab.
CanaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

Re: Re: Kia Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaMark
I wouldnt use no kia engine as a swap. Use american. Buddy of mine was going to buy a Kia, I kept on telling him that Kia's are not good at all. Until he heard a few other people repeat what I said, he bought a Dodge Dakota. I dont know why he didnt go with 4x4 crew cab. He went 2wd ext cab.
Use American huh, then why is it that you have a Mazda B2600. Please if you are not going to bring anything to the table wothwhile, do so, but please do not bash the brand. I will not aloow it.

TS out

Members please read: Guidelines
twospirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:43 PM   #5
FamilyManOfFive
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Kia Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaMark
You're pretty sharp. I would have never guessed that someone would compare a $10K car to a $40K truck and say that the truck is much better. Heck, if I could afford the Cadillac Escalade verses having 3 Sorentos, I would take the 3 Sorentos...
FamilyManOfFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
enlightener
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Kia Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits
Use American huh, then why is it that you have a Mazda B2600. Please if you are not going to bring anything to the table wothwhile, do so, but please do not bash the brand. I will not aloow it.

TS out
It's not bashing the brand, buy a Kia and then tell me if we're right or wrong. You know, for someone who spends hours online looking at all this posts you should know that the Mazda B series is nothing more than rebadged Ford Ranger. Not only that, is this a forum to discuss your feelings about a product or what? If this is a democratic forum then EVERYONE has the right to express what WE think is right or wrong positive or negative about any brand. I'm pretty sure you have never owned a Kia before so before you start defending the brand buy one and I'm pretty sure you will be sympathetic with so many Kia owners who have bought these cars and wasted their money. You have no idea of the many people who have gone to the brink of financial disaster because of these cars, they bought them because they were cheap, and they got what they paid for. You probably don't know it because you probably have never owned a Kia but it is sad when you go to service for engine problems on cars that have only a couple hundred miles on them and you don't have the money to fix it because you can ONLY afford a Kia on the first place.
enlightener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:47 AM   #7
MeettheCreeper
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kia Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightener
It's not bashing the brand, buy a Kia and then tell me if we're right or wrong. You know, for someone who spends hours online looking at all this posts you should know that the Mazda B series is nothing more than rebadged Ford Ranger. Not only that, is this a forum to discuss your feelings about a product or what? If this is a democratic forum then EVERYONE has the right to express what WE think is right or wrong positive or negative about any brand. I'm pretty sure you have never owned a Kia before so before you start defending the brand buy one and I'm pretty sure you will be sympathetic with so many Kia owners who have bought these cars and wasted their money. You have no idea of the many people who have gone to the brink of financial disaster because of these cars, they bought them because they were cheap, and they got what they paid for. You probably don't know it because you probably have never owned a Kia but it is sad when you go to service for engine problems on cars that have only a couple hundred miles on them and you don't have the money to fix it because you can ONLY afford a Kia on the first place.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Every manufacturer has problems with their vehicles.

I would put Kia up against most manufacturers anyday.

ANd for those who are whining about how their cars are junk, ever heard of maint.???

I have been in the car service business for almost 20 years, worked on GM, Chrysler, Mazda, Nissan, Ford, Isuzu and Kia. Want to talk about problems?? Lets talk about Cadillacs 4100 engines.

I have friends that work for Chevy that have cars that the engineers cant even fix so before you open your mouth get informed.
MeettheCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:54 PM   #8
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kia Engines

Quote:
It's not bashing the brand, buy a Kia and then tell me if we're right or wrong. You know, for someone who spends hours online looking at all this posts you should know that the Mazda B series is nothing more than rebadged Ford Ranger.
And your point being? The Mazda B series is/was sold as a Ford Ranger in Ecuador (selling 2770 units), as well as in Vietnam, and South Africa as well as a Ford Courier in Australia. It is also sold as a Mazda Bravo in Australia, as a Mazda Proceed in Asia (up to 1998), Mazda Bounty in New Zealand and as a Mazda Drifter in South Africa. Now true, the model is made in the states which qualifies it as American Made but the bottom line its still a Mazda which profits go to Japan.
Quote:
Not only that, is this a forum to discuss your feelings about a product or what? If this is a democratic forum then EVERYONE has the right to express what WE think is right or wrong positive or negative about any brand.
If the poster is a owner of the vehicle then yesThe reasons I said what I said is because there have been many previous posts that I have removed that were bashing the brand, and I wouldn't want a member that rarely posts in the Kia section to start bad mouthing the brand and have it turn out to be a bashing thread.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure you have never owned a Kia before so before you start defending the brand buy one and I'm pretty sure you will be sympathetic with so many Kia owners who have bought these cars and wasted their money. You have no idea of the many people who have gone to the brink of financial disaster because of these cars, they bought them because they were cheap, and they got what they paid for.
Yes its true I do not own a Kia, but as a moderator of these sections, it is my obligation to insure that they do not turn into something that can be construed as bashing the brand from a non-owner and my goal is to keep the forums running smoothly as possible.
Quote:
You probably don't know it because you probably have never owned a Kia but it is sad when you go to service for engine problems on cars that have only a couple hundred miles on them and you don't have the money to fix it because you can ONLY afford a Kia on the first place.
ummm if the vehicle only has a few hundreds miles on it, it should be covered by the excellent warranty (which I might add, others have copied in the industry), so they should not shell out any money on repairs.

TS out

Members please read: Guidelines
twospirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:27 PM   #9
ishtar111
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kia Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeettheCreeper
You have no idea what you are talking about. Every manufacturer has problems with their vehicles.

I would put Kia up against most manufacturers anyday.

ANd for those who are whining about how their cars are junk, ever heard of maint.???

I have been in the car service business for almost 20 years, worked on GM, Chrysler, Mazda, Nissan, Ford, Isuzu and Kia. Want to talk about problems?? Lets talk about Cadillacs 4100 engines.

I have friends that work for Chevy that have cars that the engineers cant even fix so before you open your mouth get informed.

Hello.

My name is Carol, and I am totally confused when it comes to any vehilce these days. Currently I have a Buick Skylark, the banshee is ready to scream for (Cryer of death)

I was thinking of getting a KIA either a Sportage or a Optima.
YR about 2001 to 2004 maybe. Can you tell me if Hyundai had taken over the mechanics of the kia by then?

And what your real opinion and experience is with these vehicles.

Your input is appreciated. Carol ladyishtar9@aol.com
ishtar111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 08:29 PM   #10
MeettheCreeper
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kia Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishtar111
Hello.

My name is Carol, and I am totally confused when it comes to any vehilce these days. Currently I have a Buick Skylark, the banshee is ready to scream for (Cryer of death)

I was thinking of getting a KIA either a Sportage or a Optima.
YR about 2001 to 2004 maybe. Can you tell me if Hyundai had taken over the mechanics of the kia by then?

And what your real opinion and experience is with these vehicles.

Your input is appreciated. Carol ladyishtar9@aol.com
Hyundai took over in 2001 I believe.

The Optima is a great vehicle as long as the transmission has been serviced regularly I have Optimas come in to the dealer with 100k plus miles on them.

The side airbags are subject to failure and are quite expensive.

I would stay away from earlier Sportages, although reliable vehicles if maintained most that you will find used were not and can be at times problematic.

The 05 Sportage was completely redesigned and to date is much better than the previous design.

The warranty is the best in the industry. 5/60 basic 10/100 powertrain.

I have nearly 20 years in the business, 5 of those working for a Kia dealer.

The 98-2000 vehicles were problematic.
MeettheCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:53 PM   #11
workingout
AF Newbie

I'm the second owner of a '96 Kia Sophia. its got 143,465 miles. leaks a little oil but thats it. Motor has been well mantained and is still going strong. I would have to say that my father-in-law made a really good buy when he bought it new 10 years ago. Have only had to change one wheel bearing and the alt. I wish I could say the same for other cars I've owned

My Johnston Rod got caught in the Pittman Arm
workingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #12
derb
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Kia Engines

To The Mazda Truck Owner.ford Always Used Mazda Motors In Rangers.this Would Probally Explain Why They Acuired Mazda.by The Way I Own A Sephia.till 2001 They Used Mazda Engines,i.e.,the Bp05.i Have Driven Mine Hard.yes It Is Time To Change The Motor(after 150,000 Miles & 120 Plus Mph).heck Imight Put The Miata Stock Turbo Bp05 In Its Place. It Is 1.8l With 204hp. Yeah, Nice Little Four Banger.to All Kia Owners Nothing But Respect.i Have Had Pontiac ,izuzu,mazda,ford And Chevy On Top Of The Kia. All Companys Can Make A Bad Or Good Car.believe Me, I Have Worked On All.it Is A Hobby. No Disrespect But Stop Hating Because You Might Not Like What Someone Else Drives. That Is Why It Is Theirs!
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #13
Desertgator
AF Newbie

I found this forum because I think Kia engines are great. I know they are extensively raced in Europe. I have had two Kias: 4-cyl Sportage & 6-cyl Sedona. The best thing about Kia is the engines. I used call my Sportage "The Explorer Eater" because I daily drive up and down a 5,000 mountain road here in So. Calif.
In my overly prideful state, my favorite road sport was passing Ford Explorers (and most everything else) going up. When I traded for the Sedona, I decided dark-colored Kia minivans almost rule the road. I have abused the car to the utmst of my ability, even wearing out transmissions, making missed-shift over-revs, and regular triple digit speeds in the lonely places I drive. The engines are great. I can tell you my Sedona is factory goverened at 120mph. I found this forum because I wanted to learn more about the engines, I have been so impressed with them.

--Desertgator :-)

Last edited by Desertgator; 09-16-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: oops--Sedona, not Sportage
Desertgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
tonglee07
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeck View Post
I am not sure, but don't think so. I believe the newer sephias are now using a Hundai engine as well...

If you have rio measurements and year I could probably get you some measurments on the sephia.

anybody else?
so will it fit???? my 02 kia rio motor is no good and i found an 01 kia sophia motor, i was wondering if it would fit in my rio????
tonglee07 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > General Discussion