Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 07:16 AM   #1
IndianaNathan
AF Newbie

Never-ending Cadillac Problem - Suggestions?

Hello all,

I own a 2017 Cadillac ATS 2.0L Turbo AWD that has developed a shudder when driving at certain low speeds. If I hit 25mph, 35mph, or 45mph, the car shakes/vibrates for a few seconds then stops. I can best describe it as feeling like when you run over rumble strips before a construction zone.

I had bad tires on the car and got a full new set, but the problem persisted. I took it back to the tire installers and they checked everything over and said there was nothing they saw that could be causing it. I then took it to a different tire place and they inspected it further and said that two of my rims were bent. Since I had just dropped quite a bit of money on a full set of tires, I lived with it and waited a couple months, then finally had the rims straightened this past week.

The problem is still happening. Straightening the rims has helped some, in that it doesn't do it as bad, or for as long, as it did before. Deep down inside I knew straightening the rims wasn't going to fully solve it, and I was right. It helped, but the problem continues.

I'm now completely at a loss as to what the issue is. I've had others check things like wheel bearings (they're fine and make no noise), joints (they are also fine), shocks (also fine), struts (also fine), yet the problem is still happening.

My most recent guess is that it is something to do with the Stabilitrak system, and overall traction control. If it is Stabilitrak related, I know that is going to be costly. At one point I looked in to just trading the car, but APR %'s are ridiculous right now and the dealers I talked to all required $7 -10k as a down payment, which I don't have and shot the idea of me trading away the problem car. I have to live with it, and have been living with it, but I just want a legitimate answer so I can get a real fix since I am stuck with the car.

Any suggestions or advice would be helpful. I just want to be able to drive to work and back and have a smooth ride, with no rumble-strip feeling shudders for no reasons!
IndianaNathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 09:22 AM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Never-ending Cadillac Problem - Suggestions?

I'm wondering how the rims got bent? Did you hit something? You may have more things bent.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:42 AM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Does the vibration exhibit itself as being from the front or rear?

The Stabilitrak system can be disabled for testing, but that will set a host of trouble codes which will have to be cleared after analysis. It may be easy to turn it off, or maybe not:

https://vehiclefreak.com/how-to-rese...urn-it-on-off/

It may be disables if you can turn off the traction control feature as well.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:49 AM   #4
IndianaNathan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleekat View Post
I'm wondering how the rims got bent? Did you hit something? You may have more things bent.
I nailed one heck of a pothole, which bent both passenger side rims. Upon having the tire installer inform me they were both bent, I had the front passenger tire moved to the driver rear, so that both bent rims were on the back.

But, like I mentioned, now that I have had the two bent rims straightened, the issue is still happening - just not as bad as before.

When I had the rims straightened the mechanic checked all suspension and everything else possible under the car and said it all looked good and that there were no visible issues with anything, just the two bent rims.

Yet, again, the issue is still happening.

I've had the car balanced and straightened 3 different times this calendar year alone, so I know it can't be related to that.

I'm just out of ideas and options at this point and trying to find an actual solution so that it stops entirely.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:54 AM   #5
IndianaNathan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
Does the vibration exhibit itself as being from the front or rear?

The Stabilitrak system can be disabled for testing, but that will set a host of trouble codes which will have to be cleared after analysis. It may be easy to turn it off, or maybe not:

https://vehiclefreak.com/how-to-rese...urn-it-on-off/

It may be disables if you can turn off the traction control feature as well.
Thank you for that. Reading through it, none of it is applicable to what is happening with my car, so that tells me it is not Stabilitrak related - thankfully!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > General Discussion