Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: Which is better
3000GT 28 38.89%
300ZX 44 61.11%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 05:34 PM   #16
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
there's a kit like that for the 3k gt, and trust me, it looks as bad as you think it would...

i vote 300zx, only b/c the 3000 has a tendency to break alot of parts when a lot of power is added...

there's a local stealth r/t here with about 900hp, and that's the truth, and he goes through clutches weekly.

the shop that works on my car has a set of 5-6 3000's that rotate in regularly... there's no real upgrade for the trans, and it breaks with a ton of power, the axles are the same...

and besides that...

the ecu's are fairly unreliable, and it's not uncommon to have to completely replace one...

but a 300zx isn't exactly super user friendly, with the engine bay being as tight as it is...
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 01:29 AM   #17
rharris19
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to rharris19
i would vote for the 300zx, becuase of the fact that it is lighter, although not by much, and has more after market for it. i do admit that the vr4 is very cool, but it is too big. the 300zx has always and will always look very exotic.
rharris19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:35 AM   #18
Tom_S8
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Tom_S8
Like flywsi said... 3kGT has a lot of problems with it's 4WD drivetrain , especially when modified... Here in Europe the transmission for that thing also costs a lot... I'd go for the Z32 , but myslef i would really rather consider FD RX7 (sucks on reliablity , and small too , but faster than both) or a MKIV twin turbo supra , it is more expensive but it is better in all categories (pass the styling , it's a personal thing)...
Tom_S8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:53 AM   #19
DemonZX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonZX
Price-wise also you can pick a TTZ or an RX-7 up for about the same price range. The VR-4's and Supra's are rare and expesive.

R.I.P. "Mama (my Z)" . . . But now we have the VR-4 #683/2000
"Dude, You fucking passed the test, but just barely, wanna know what you got?...F+......CLICK!"
-Tenacious D(Jack BLack)-
"Official Moron Crew Founder!"
DemonZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:03 AM   #20
fatninja19
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to fatninja19
Quote:
Originally posted by DemonZX
Price-wise also you can pick a TTZ or an RX-7 up for about the same price range. The VR-4's and Supra's are rare and expesive.
I actually see a lot more TT supras than a TT Z, or Rx7, and the vr-4's are the rarest around these parts..
Old 01-21-2003, 05:16 PM   #21
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
I see a lot of posts talking about the problems with the VR4. As the owner of two and a member of the 3si family - I can safely say some of that is bullshit.

The weakest part of the car is the second syncro from the getrag (spelled that way on purpose) transmission. Sure every car can have problems, but that has to do with care (as with most cars) then design flaws (other then the second syncro) My 94 has 110K miles and the tranny shifts as smooth as the day I bought it.

Once people start talking about mods - its a crap shoot since their is always something more that can be done. Out of the box, the VR4 is the way to go

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 01-22-2003, 03:55 PM   #22
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

as stated... i've talked to the owners of these cars.

and the shop that builds them. there's been multiple undiagnosable ecu problems that lead to replacing the ecu. completely. that's what's been recommended by the dealership as well, not just the shop owner.

the other car that fries clutches... big surprise. there's no way to really upgrade the drivetrain. if he got stronger clutch he'd break more parts.

the engine bay is equally tight on both cars... which sucks, but there seems, from what i've seen, to be more aftermarket support for the z.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:02 PM   #23
DemonZX
AF Enthusiast

I was waiting for Yogs response because he does own 2. Thanks man. The quality of the cars also has to do with the way they are driven, and treated. I'm sure yogs takes care of his babies. Other people may get them and just try to rip up the pavement!

"Dude, You fucking passed the test, but just barely, wanna know what you got?...F+......CLICK!"
Old 01-22-2003, 04:06 PM   #24
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

true... however... these are some pretty intense owners up here with the cash to burn, especially b/c it's not cheap to replace an ecu...

and the cars are treated really well...

the car that had the ecu problem was mostly stock, which is interesting...

the other cars are modded, and haven't had that problem, but it's not uncommon, as noted by the owners...

they're all part of the midwest dsm owners club or something... fanatics with tons of cash...
Old 01-22-2003, 04:08 PM   #25
DemonZX
AF Enthusiast

That is pretty damn odd. Well maybe that is just the weak link in the VR4. Will aftermarket ecu's help it in it's quality issue?

Old 01-22-2003, 04:14 PM   #26
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

i don't know that there was one... at least at that point... about 8 months ago, there wasn't... or i'm sure they would have gone that route...

it's just interesting...

there's alot of electronically controlled devices in the 3kgt, and they've been known to malfunction...

this guy's ecu was replaced b/c there was a relay that was doing something to the point where he couldn't get the car to run. they took it to the dealership, they got it to run, and then went to get gas. and couldn't get it started. and then it lead to the ecu... weird..

my point was that they have so much electronic stuff that can get funked up, as well as the lack of a strong aftermarket for the drivetrain parts that will inevitably be broken...
Old 01-22-2003, 04:19 PM   #27
DemonZX
AF Enthusiast

That is some wierd crizap!

Old 02-22-2003, 11:55 PM   #28
pontiactrac
AF Enthusiast

I definatly would have to say the 300zx... I love both cars like you can't imagine. But the 300zx is my all time favorite. I remember that when i was car searching about 3 months ago. All i would seach for were 300zx's, but they are rare, and expensive. I almost baught about three different ones and was willing to go way out of state to get it, and all were sold before i could make the catch. After a while i realized that paying so much for a car with more milage than i would feel comfortable with was scary. It is still my all time favorite car though. I love my Grand Prix though so in the long run im happy either way.
pontiactrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 08:01 PM   #29
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Oh, the Z32 wins this one hands down in my book. Simply put, it's the more versatile of the pair. A Z32 can be built as a stout drag car, lovely drifter, Wangan terror, cone-dodging autocrosser, or a corner carving club racer. There's plenty of potential in the VQ35DETT and the 5spd it's connected to is fairly close to bullet-proof (save for the clutch).

Besides, the Z32 in GTS form was the first "production" class car to win the 24hrs of Daytona outright. I think that speaks for itself.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:47 PM   #30
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
The VQ35DETT hasn't been released, and it looks like the new GTR engine is going to be the VQ33DETT

You're thinking of the VG30DETT

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Cbass is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing