Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Interior
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Interior This is the place for all interior modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
thabadguy
AF Newbie

push-button starter

i want to put a push button starter instead of the key on my 89 rs v6, but i want the key to control everything but the starter. how do i wire it. help plz..
thabadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
GreyGoose006
AF Enthusiast

Re: push-button starter

well i dont think that what you want is gonna be easy at all.
you might be best to install a remote start system, then wire a direct link to the unit with a on off momentary switch instead of using the key fob they give you.

idk.

for remote start to work, you have to have the key in to drive, but not to start.
the way it works i believe is that if you want to take the car out of park, you have to push the brakes, and if the key isnt inserted when you push the brakes (or clutch i suppose) it shuts the car off.
GreyGoose006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
jdl
AF Enthusiast

You could run a circuit to the ignition terminal at the starter solenoid. Use the starter button in series on that circuit. That will crank the starter even without a key. THERE ARE SAFETY ISSUES, doing it that way. It will bypass the clutch switch or neutral safety switch. It will crank no matter what gear it's in. You could wire it through the clutch or neutral switch. I was looking through a Dell City automotive electrical products catalog. They have starter buttons. Is it safe to wire a starter to crank no matter what gear it's in, or whether or not the clutch is depressed, probably not. You've probably forgotten more about vehicles than I'll ever know, but, you need to be careful with what your trying to do.

Anybody remember the old vehicles with starter button on the floor. Most of the ones I remember were manual trannies, If the vehicle was in gear and you hit the starter button without pushing in on the clutch, the vehicle goes to moving, didn't even need a key.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
thabadguy
AF Newbie

i already got my button and theres two termanils on it which is power and ground.
thabadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
AParrette
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabadguy View Post
i already got my button and theres two termanils on it which is power and ground.
you need to cut the starter wire and run one side of the push button off the wire towards the engine then the other side is a 12v+
AParrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Just emulate the 1936 Ford Business Coupe, or Model A, or any other antique. They all had push-button starters (actuated by foot).

Everything old is new again. Pretty soon Lexus will have wood spoke wheels and everyone will want them.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Interior