Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 07:16 AM   #1
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

New Tire Suggestions?

Hi all. I'm getting ready to replace my tires on my 2016 Silvearado 1500 Double Cab.

I am not a fan of the stock Bridgestone Dueler H/T tires. Even though they are quiet on the highway, the sidewalls are quite soft going around corners, and they tend to slip easily in wet weather (and I'm not one to mash the accelerator. It's a truck. It's all about the torque, not how fast you can get to 60). I probably drive 75% on the road, and 25% off-road.

I used to have the Dunlop Rover H/T on my 2003 Silverado that I owned before the 2016 and I loved them. They were a little noisy, but had excellent traction and handling. However, it doesn't look like I can get that tire for the size of my rims (tire size is 255 70 17 for my 2016).

Right now the tires I am considering are the Goodyear Wrangler, Cooper Discoverer AT3, and Firestone Destination A/T. I will say that I do not want BFGs (just not a fan). I was looking at Michelins, but everyone I know that has them have issues with dry rotting. I want a tire that has solid sidewalls, good traction in the rain and snow, can handle light off-roading, and can get a decent 50,000 miles out of them. I would prefer a quieter tire, but I'm not too worried about that. I use my truck as a truck. So there has been many times that I've loaded the bed of the truck and pulled a trailer with materials after spending decent time at the hardware store.

I would appreciate any opinions and comments that anyone may have with tires they have on their Chevy trucks. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: New Tire Suggestions?

Wranglers are noisy. That does not make them a bad tire, but they do make noise on pavement. They are also rated for dual-duty, so if you go off-road they can be more appropriate. The Wrangles also has no steel belts, so they can flex a bit more (off road again). They can also be safely deflated for off-road use, but should be reinflated to proper pressure once back on the pavement for any duration. Snow traction is good. Wet traction is acceptable. Mud/sand/gravel traction is better than most tires. Wear is good if everything is maintained.

Another point to make is that you mention you are not a fan of BFG but had looked into Michelin. You should know that Michelin owns BFG and both are better since the merge. I've had a lot of Michelins on a lot of vehicles over the last several decades and several sets of Goodrich Long Trails for an Imperial long-ton (as opposed to a metric sh*t-ton) of miles with no issues. If you ever drive on ice you will WANT the Michelin LTX or BFG Long Trail TA. Both have been excellent on ice for me. I had one set go just under 70K miles on an Astro AWD in all kinds of weather. They would have gone farther but Mrs. Blue decided to cut a turn short and the curb won the battle against the sidewall. My 2¢
Old 06-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
Wranglers are noisy. That does not make them a bad tire, but they do make noise on pavement. They are also rated for dual-duty, so if you go off-road they can be more appropriate. The Wrangles also has no steel belts, so they can flex a bit more (off road again). They can also be safely deflated for off-road use, but should be reinflated to proper pressure once back on the pavement for any duration. Snow traction is good. Wet traction is acceptable. Mud/sand/gravel traction is better than most tires. Wear is good if everything is maintained.

Another point to make is that you mention you are not a fan of BFG but had looked into Michelin. You should know that Michelin owns BFG and both are better since the merge. I've had a lot of Michelins on a lot of vehicles over the last several decades and several sets of Goodrich Long Trails for an Imperial long-ton (as opposed to a metric sh*t-ton) of miles with no issues. If you ever drive on ice you will WANT the Michelin LTX or BFG Long Trail TA. Both have been excellent on ice for me. I had one set go just under 70K miles on an Astro AWD in all kinds of weather. They would have gone farther but Mrs. Blue decided to cut a turn short and the curb won the battle against the sidewall. My 2¢
Thanks for the input! I was never a fan of BFGs because they also would dry rot before the tread wore out the same way as Michelins (at least that's what I've been told by buddies of mine that own trucks). But if Michelin and BFG are one now, I may reconsider. The weather in the Northeast where I live is more prone to ice that snow these days. So that may play a role in what type of tires I purchase.

Thanks again!
Old 06-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

You need to go up http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do and price tires there.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

I have on my 2000 silverado these https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...DLTX&tab=Sizes..

tires wear well and great traction. so far the rubber looks like I just put them on.

I do use silicone spray on the wheels/tires to protect from chemical damage.

these tires replace the firestone steeltex tires that where 9 years old which had 90K miles . had no problems with those firestone tires but NOT made any more. truck came with these tires back in 2000 from factory. got 90K also from first set . had 30% of rubber still on .

the Michelins are expensive but so far work great in snow and rain .no problems on balancing as well .

others have also had great reviews.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
....... I do use silicone spray on the wheels/tires to protect from chemical damage. .......

DO NOT USE SILICONE SPRAY ANYWHERE AROUND TIRES!!

Every rim slippage problem I investigated eventually involved silicone spray somewhere in the mix.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado