Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: What Car do YOU Think is the Worst of the Worst?
Cadillack Escalade 2 11.76%
Chevy Tahoe Hybrid 1 5.88%
Dodge Nitro SLT 2 11.76%
Dodge Dakota 0 0%
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2 11.76%
Mercedes-Benz S550 0 0%
Chrysler Town & Country 1 5.88%
Chevy Colorado 0 0%
Chevy Aveo 3 17.65%
Jeep Liberty 1 5.88%
Nissan Titan 0 0%
Smart ForTwo (Smart Car) 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
AF News Desk
Your Source For Auto News

Post Forbes Names the Worst Built Cars

Everyone loves a good list of best/worst things of any sort - especially when it comes to cars. Forbes online has released their most recent list of the worst built cars.

Among the contenders? The Cadillac Escalade, Nissan Titan and even the Smart ForTwo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Elliott - Forbes, 4/18/11

By all accounts, Detroit's Big Three automakers have begun producing better-made, longer lasting, more efficient vehicles. It's a distinct change from the 1990s and early 2000s, when they fell behind their European and Asian counterparts in each category.

"This change is not even a gradual thing," says Christine Overstreet, an automotive consultant and director of Heels and Wheels. "It's like they've said, 'OK, we really want to step it up, we really want to compete, we're ready.' After past years of being so bad, they've really stepped up their game."

But with three exceptions--the Mercedes-Benz S550, Smart Fortwo and Nissan Titan--all of the cars on this year's list of the Worst Cars on the Road are (still) made by domestic companies. That includes the Dodge Dakota, Chevy Tahoe Hybrid and Chrysler Town & Country. The only American car company with zero vehicles on the list? Ford.

Behind the Numbers

To determine our list of the worst-made cars on the road, we started with the lowest-rated vehicles from six reliability and performance studies conducted this year by Consumer Reports.

Any car, truck or SUV named among the worst in at least two of those studies made the final cut to be on the "Worst" list.

We should note that the Mercedes S550 is the only vehicle that qualified for our list because of a high cost of ownership, low fuel efficiency and a low rating for overall value, not because of any problems with reliability, safety or performance, which affected every other vehicle in the top 10. Indeed, luxury vehicles like that sedan and the Cadillac Escalade are arguably at a disadvantage on lists like this--their luxurious interior upgrades, high-quality trim and powerful engines work against them.

"The worst value, the highest cost of ownership--you've got to remember there is a numerator and a denominator in these things," says Terry Woychowski, the vice president for quality and global launches for General Motors. "To use an analogy of a watch: If you looked at dollars to buy a watch vs. accuracy of time, you'd probably buy a Casio. [Compare that] to the price and value in a Rolex--you'd say, 'Well, shoot. It costs so much!' For vehicles like this, it's an uphill battle."

We should also note that nearly every car or truck made today is safer, more efficient and more reliable than anything on the road even as recently as 15 years ago. But that doesn't excuse just how often vehicles like the Jeep Liberty are panned for poor reliability or poor fuel economy--or both.

Jeep's Liberty and Wrangler earned spots on Consumer Reports' Least Reliable list for 2011. The Wrangler also received Consumer Reports' Worst Value and Worst Cars distinctions, the latter of which is based on more than 50 individual Consumer Reports tests and evaluations. The Wrangler also appeared on our Worst Cars list last year.

Doug Betts, Chrysler's senior vice president of quality, says the Consumer Reports tests don't reflect the latest, most up-to-date vehicles the company is currently manufacturing. The cars and trucks Chrysler has coming off the line now are far better than cars made even last year, he said in a statement about the reports.

"Customers will see 16 all-new or significantly updated vehicles at Ram, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep and Fiat dealers this year," Betts said. "These vehicles represent a new level of interior refinement, world-class fit and finish and significantly enhanced driving dynamics."

Similarly, and despite significant improvements since hitting bottom in 2009, GM has some work to do before it can regain a good reputation fleet-wide. Four GM-made vehicles--the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Tahoe Hybrid, Chevrolet Colorado, and Chevrolet Aveo/Aveo5--are ranked as among the worst on the market today. All but the Tahoe Hybrid qualified for the Worst Cars list last year as well.
Be sure to check out the second half of the story here.

Also be sure to check out the interactive list at Forbes.com here.

-----------------------------------------

Based on what has been said, what do you guys think? Are these really some of the worst cars on the road or is it too hard to choose these as "worst" in your book? Why or why not?

Also, don't forget to vote in the poll and let us know what you think the worst of the worst is!

Email newsdesk@automotiveforums.com or send us a private message with a link to the content you think AF Members should check out!
AF News Desk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
carbuzzard
AF Newbie

Re: Forbes Names the Worst Built Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF News Desk View Post
Everyone loves a good list of best/worst things of any sort - especially when it comes to cars. Forbes online has released their most recent list of the worst built cars.

Among the contenders? The Cadillac Escalade, Nissan Titan and even the Smart ForTwo.

Be sure to check out the second half of the story here.

Also be sure to check out the interactive list at Forbes.com here.

-----------------------------------------

Based on what has been said, what do you guys think? Are these really some of the worst cars on the road or is it too hard to choose these as "worst" in your book? Why or why not?

Also, don't forget to vote in the poll and let us know what you think the worst of the worst is!
Best and worst lists always annoy me personally and this one in particular. Best/worst at what? Or by what standard? Really, best/worst lists are traffic builders or attention getting devices. Who really gives a flip what the world car of the year is...other than that it lets the judges put on their resumes that they're this or that coty judge.

(The cynic steps off his soapbox...).
Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
lemorris
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to lemorris Send a message via Yahoo to lemorris

mmmm...I don't know...have you seen the Aveo?

I guess they have their reasons, but I run smart car tires on the front of my 58 VW and I love them so I'm not agreein with Forbes on this one....hmmmm...maybe that's why I'm not a billionaire.

-Lemorris
Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
amy@af
Traffic Directing Admin

Send a message via Skype™ to amy@af

*giggle* I can think of plenty of cars not on the poll list

..don't make me send Setanta over in his Waambulance to give you an aloe tissue for your sensitive nose!

*~ ~> USeR GUiDELiNeS*<~ ~*

I <3 the G Ride ~*~ I <3 OLD SKooL
amy@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Send a message via AIM to -Josh-

Gas electric hybrids are pointless, so thats where my vote goes.

AF User Guidelines

What is a mippie? - click
-Josh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

What's wrong with the Titan? I know the first ones had problems with overheating brakes, but that was resolved quickly. Plus, I love the Titan... I'm kinda sad the plant 3 miles from my house won't be making them anymore in favor of building the Leaf.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
jeremybb
AF Newbie

If i was rating the cars, I would rate Suzuki Alto to be the worst make ever
jeremybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
lexusofbridgewater
AF Newbie

I doubt that you find a Wrangler comfortable, it's not built for comfort, it's built for business where there are no roads. Compare the Wrangler with the LandRover Defender instead - or any random military vehicle. I'd rather bring a troop equipped with Wranglers into some parts of the world than with Humvees - especially some cities in Europe.
lexusofbridgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
patrickp311
AF Newbie

i was gonna vote but the 2002 chevy cavalier wasnt on the list
patrickp311 is offline   Reply With Quote