Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > Philosophizing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Philosophizing Throwing around ideas about life, the universe, and everything.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 06:10 AM   #1
taranaki
Banned

suicide is not a crime.....

so why do the police waste so much time trying to prevent people from doing it?Surely if I choose to end my life,and I am not endangering anybody or damaging property in the process,they have no right to stop me?Can anybody give me a valid reason why I shouldn't be allowed to chuck everything in if that is what Ihave carefully considered to be the best option ?
Old 08-03-2002, 07:01 AM   #2
tazdev
I'm still here

because there are people out there that will miss you if you were to "go".
Old 08-03-2002, 07:20 AM   #3
Judge
AF Enthusiast

i.agree.with.you.taranaki.
its.your.choice.to.make.if.you.want.to.live.or.not .
but.if.someone.was.really.serious,the.police.or.wh atever.could.not.stop.them.

unless.youre.bed.riddin.in.a.hospital.bed.or.somet hing.....
Old 08-03-2002, 07:59 AM   #4
taranaki
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by tazdev
because there are people out there that will miss you if you were to "go".
so what?Is a person supposed to live the rest of their lives in misery for the benefit of a few people on the fringes of thjeir existence?whatever happened to the rights of a person to live as they choose?or am I only permitted a slow,expensive,painful and resource consuming death at the bottom of a long string of empty whisky bottles?

And as for the idea that if you really want to,nobody could stop you,I beg to differ.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:01 PM   #5
Damien
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Damien Send a message via MSN to Damien
Some people are in the position in which they themseleves can't commit suicide........ya know? The people paralyzed or have some sort of miscualar stiffness!

Have you heard of Dr. Kavorkian (spelling is way off! Dr. Death here in America???) He was charge and found guilty (forgot the sentence) for suicide assitance!

Here I have it! People that are mobile and can kill themselves think there life is so bad meanwhile there are people who need help but no one will because they are afraid of being charged with murder later or they don't want the person gone!!!

This doesn't mean anything personal to you does it??? I can't say to much since I've tried
Old 08-03-2002, 10:50 PM   #6
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Euthanasia does not equal suicide. Dr. Kevorkian was "assisting" suicide... but was in essence providing every means possible to aid in killing a person.

Do I think that euthanasia is wrong? Honestly, I've done quite a bit of research, and in some cases I truly think it is more humane to allow a permanently suffering person to die with dignity than it is to stand by the wayside and watch. There is one documented case in which a lady was resucitated upwards of 30 times because letting her go would be considered passive euthanasia. One nurse couldn't take it any longer, and let the alarm go off for "too long" before alerting the people, and she was arrested and charged with some outrageous murder-like sentence.

As for suicide (the original topic) I truly think that there is some way out that has not yet been found. Hell, most of us are unhappy in everyday life, and some of us are FAR more so than others. I know, I have lived it, and cut myself once, and seriously considered suicide as an option atleast twice. Each time I finally came to see a solution through my tears, and I worked to fix what I felt was wrong. Sure, my problems may not be paralysis or anything along those lines, but there is almost always a reason to live.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
Old 08-04-2002, 05:43 PM   #7
Spec2 Girl
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Spec2 Girl Send a message via AIM to Spec2 Girl
I can see both sides of the argument. Suicide is so final. What if it turns out that the many problems the person faced could have all been sorted out with help from others?? It’s too late to turn back the clock once you’re gone.

1998 Nissan Skyline R34 GT-t

Old 08-04-2002, 09:03 PM   #8
Damien
AF Fanatic

Well, if you do die, at least they dress you up real nice!!!

Just tryin to lighten the mood!

I got over my problems early before they could really affect me and now that I've moved to start over "again", it still sucks, but I'm closer to family and that's what counts the most! I also have friends spread around the world and even though they aren't here..........

Internet is the best thing since sliced bread!!!
Old 08-05-2002, 12:40 AM   #9
Oz
Aussie Mod

Send a message via AIM to Oz
Because of the basic unshakeable beleif by authority that because they have something to life for, you do. I hope this isn't anything going on for peepz here. Because it's all about perspective, man. Theres always something to live for - even if it hasn't happened yet. And if you kill yourself - you will never know 'what if'.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:50 AM   #10
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
I think you’ll find most people have no real desire to die – they just find themselves in situations that they don’t see another solution for. Given time and the proper assistance, almost everyone will be able to work out what’s wrong.

Then again, there are some people who aren’t alright upstairs and those should be stopped since they don’t know any better.

There are a few others that should not only be allowed to take themselves out (murders, rapists and other lowlifes) but also encouraged to do so.

If someone is terminal or to the point of their life where they do not have any responsibilities to their family left and they decide its time to go, let them go. The main thing for these people is that they should wimp out and abandon their wife/husband and children. Those are truly the biggest cowards out there.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 08-05-2002, 06:40 PM   #11
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NSX-R-SSJ20K
if you even consider suicide i don't want to give a shit about you because you're too weak to fight it out like the rest of us miserable bastards who haven't got much hope in life
Old 08-05-2002, 07:47 PM   #12
darkness
AF Fanatic

As per Request

Things are never so bad that you can't handle it. Terminally Ill is a slightly different case.

anyway heres this

MEMO FROM GOD

To: YOU
Date: TODAY
Subject: YOURSELF
Reference: LIFE

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please
remember that I do not need your help.

If life happens to deliver a situation to you that you cannot handle, do not attempt to resolve it. Kindly put it in the SFGTD (something for God to do) box. All situations will be resolved, but in My time, not yours.

Once the matter is placed into the box, do not hold onto it by
worrying about it. Instead, focus on all the wonderful things that are present in your life now.

If you find yourself stuck in traffic; Don't despair. There are people
in this world for whom driving is an unheard of privilege.

Should you have a bad day at work; Think of the man who has been out of work for years.

Should you despair over a relationship gone bad; Think of the person who has never known what it's like to love and be loved in return.

Should you grieve the passing of another weekend; Think of the woman in dire straits, working twelve hours a day, seven days a week to feed her children.

Should your car break down, leaving you miles away from assistance, think of the paraplegic who would love the pportunity to take that walk.

Should you notice a new gray hair in the mirror; Think of the cancer patient in chemo who wishes she had hair to examine.

Should you find yourself at a loss and pondering what is life all
about, asking what is my purpose? Be thankful. There are those who didn't live long enough to get the opportunity.

Should you find yourself the victim of other people's bitterness,
ignorance, smallness or insecurities; Remember, things could be worse. You could be one of them!

When you think you have it bad, their is someone out their that wishes he or she had it as good as you do.

Be nice to everyone, because everybody is wrestling with their own personal "giants".

FORGIVE AND FORGET. A grudge is like a termite in your soul.

Remember life is very short. The next life is very, very, very, very,
very, very, very, very, LONG. Somtimes our "big" problems are actually small ones.
"Have you seen Star Wars? The Darkness is the Force on crack"
Old 08-06-2002, 12:08 AM   #13
taranaki
Banned

Thanks for that,James..

For those of you who are happy to offer up the argument that suicide is the cowards' way out......have you ever actually tried to kill yourself?I can tell you from personal experience that by the time that you get to the point where you feel that it is the only way out,your mind may well be in a mess, but it is still no easy way out.Fortunately ,it takes a hell of a lot of balls to consciously put yourself in harm's way.If it was quick,painless and easy to kill yourself,there would be far more successful attempts.I wouldn't reccomend anybody attempt to simulate their own suicide,but you can take it from me,that it is the most terrifying feeling on earth,and one that takes a lot of balls to follow through.So please.....don't compound the misery of those who wish to divorce themselves from this planet by spouting sanctimonious claptrap about cowardice.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:42 AM   #14
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Sorry, you misunderstand about being cowardly. Its not the act of killing thats being cowardly. Its the fact they dont want to face the challenge that lifes thrown at them. If its someone who has no responsibilies (wife/children) and no friends or someone that cares for them, then I have no problem with them taking a dirt nap.

I figure someone can use the check list below.

Got no family - Check
Got no friends - Check
Dont care about myself - Check
Dont care about others - Check
Life feels misreable - Check
There is and never will be any hope for me - Check

Time to check out (however, I bet 99% of people considering or attempting suicide cannot truely answer yes to even half of those)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 08-06-2002, 10:54 AM   #15
Damien
AF Fanatic

I CAN!!! And I actually hung on the side of my roof! Parentsstill don't know but oh well (2 years ago)

What kept me was my religious beliefs and from there I picked up. I still can check half of those, but I care so much for others, I want to help them and make them see what I saw when I tried! What scared me the most was that I thought if you killed yourself, you'd go straight to hell so I stopped, thought, nd turned around. I figure once life is more in my hands, it'll be much better!

And thank Darkness for reposting it on here!