Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
michael lambert
AF Regular

Canadian Mail Order

Hey Peoples,

Anyone else from Canada here, Preferable Toronto (GTA) area? I am really having a hard time finding someone who keeps a stock of supplies.

I have called all the shops in the area looking for some Taimya Compound and Polish and they act on the phone and in person like if i have 3 heads! When i tell them its for polishing my model they say "Why the hell would you polish your model"

Given most of the shops in my area are more into RC stuff and not too much of the models infact i have yet to find a shop that has more than 2 taimya car models in stock
michael lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

Re: Canadian Mail Order

http://www.modelexpress.net carries some supplies, Dennis has always proven very helpful.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Kurzheck
AF Premium User

Both are very well stocked but I would go with Wheels & Wings as first choice.
Wheels & Wings Hobbies - 416-752-0071 Toronto
North Star Hobbies - 905-566-4758 Mississauga

Worth the drive but call ahead, they're not always open when you'd expect.
Hamilton Hobby Specialties - 905-549-1226
Kurzheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakray
http://www.modelexpress.net carries some supplies, Dennis has always proven very helpful.
I second that vote
Apparently one of the best and nicest people to do business with - try him.

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
DSM-Mark
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz_100
I second that vote
Apparently one of the best and nicest people to do business with - try him.
Plus another 1. I've bought through him a couple of times and even went out to his place in Castlegar to peruse his selection. He asked my wife and I if we wanted to go out for lunch with him

Great guy, great store.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
desmo16
AF Newbie

[quote=Kurzheck]Both are very well stocked but I would go with Wheels & Wings as first choice.
Wheels & Wings Hobbies - 416-752-0071 Toronto
North Star Hobbies - 905-566-4758 Mississauga

I agree. Wheels and Wings: Well stocked, friendly, and always have a surprise or two (ie-OOP kits) in their selection as they occasionally buy from collections. A top quality shop!

North Star is not what they once were. Very, very little cars and bikes. Their paint selection is also poor. They seem to have chosen to specialize in aircraft and especially military models (which is fine-it's what sells and what they like to sell, right?) , but at the price of pretty well giving up on car-guys. A personal note: I also think the owner has the personality of a wet cardboard box. Forget about a hello or a smile if you're not on your way to the cash register with your wallet open-geez!
1/24 M-B CLK-GTR 'CLK Sportswear'
desmo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
griffin-gt40
AF Regular

Micheal.

I live kinda in the GTA. There's a Toy/Hobby store in Burlington that is stocked quite well for not really having a huge model selection. Bill and Sue at Hamilton Hobby Specialties are really nice people and carry alot of Tamiya kits and accessories. Hamilton have another decent shop, Modeler's Choice, lots of kits, but they've fallen off on their supplies over the past year. The usual stuff paint etc, but the detail items arent there like they use to be. IF you are looking for carbon fiber decals or photo etched parts they seem to be impossible to find around here anymore. And with the strength of the Looney I've been ordering alot from the states. Kevin at www.stradasports.com has a great selection of aftermarket items and kits. His communication is great and the service top notch.

David
griffin-gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
michael lambert
AF Regular

Thanks Dave,

I actually just placed a order through Strada, A couple of my shades of paint where out of stock so they are going to get it in the next couple of days and ship it out. I also placed an order through Hiroboy, God i hope they take it easy on me at customs

I just got strobe for my photography business paid $250 for it and got dinged with $112 in brokerage
michael lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
mikemechanic
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael lambert
I also placed an order through Hiroboy, God i hope they take it easy on me at customs

I just got strobe for my photography business paid $250 for it and got dinged with $112 in brokerage
I have made 3 or 4 orders from Hiroboy and have yet to be dinged by customs or even had them open one from Hiroboy.

I've been down the brokerage road too, I'll never use UPS again.

Mike

mikemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
PeterL.
AF Newbie

If you are looking for a well stocked Hobby Shop in the Golden Horseshoe Area I would recommend that you visit Hamilton Hobby Specialties, they have open on 206 Kenilworth Avenue North, Hamilton.

They have a very nice and clean hobby shop, lots of model kits to choose from and the newest releases in car kits from Revell, some Tamiya and a lot of the new Monogram and Airfix Kits. They also have some Moebius.

I think they are now a bigger shop than Modeller Choice is now, that being said check out both shops , sometimes what one doesn't have the other does. As a side note, if you are ordering something, Hamilton Hobby Specialties will get it for you the fastest, and they don't ask for the whole amount up front.

The number for Hamilton Hobby is (905) 547 5541 and their website accepts online orders, it is: www.hamiltonhobbyspecialties.com

Hope you'll find what you are looking for.
PeterL. is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling