Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 10:32 AM   #31
carguyinok
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Good Luck, Hopefully soon I'll have a LT1/T-56 swap into my Z. I've given up on the hopes of a RB26DETT swap. Just the cost alone of swapping in the Skyline motor would be alot, then the fact that if anything were to happen to it. Parts costs would be mega expensive. So I'll stick to the much lighter and highly effective Chevy LT1 350 and a Borg-Warner T-56 Six speed.
Forget that six speed man I had the richmond 6 speed for mine. But after fighting with it for many try's the fit was just wrong It was a choice of place the motor way to far forward, or cut a new shifter hole Dont take it wrong. This is just a warning from the been there done that club
The big pain in the azz is the rearend. The old school scarab Z's used the T-bird rear end. Others have used the corvette IRS. Then there is the odd people like me thats saving up for the JAG IRS
Thats funny you bring up the jags that run book. I told him the same thing. Read it cover to cover many times then start sleeping with it.
Your Z should shit n get with the LT1 under the hood. The only warning I have there. The cost of parts for the LT1 can be REAL high
I just helped a buddy with his rebuild. All said and done with a mild cam being the only aftermarket change. The rebuild ran just over $1500. In NO WAY am I saying it's a bad motor. Only that they are money pit's.
I think the main thing to keep in mind. DO IT FOR THE FUN OF IT.
good + cheap = not fast

Because the water has no speed limits
carguyinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 11:15 AM   #32
carguyinok
AF Enthusiast

This is what I am looking to use. For now just working on setting the money aside for it.

good + cheap = not fast

Old 02-01-2004, 01:44 PM   #33
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
True, an LT1 can cost you alot to rebuild it I suppose. But when compared to that of a RB26DETT... it's a cheap motor to maintain.

And I'm willing to wrestle with the LT1/T-56 combo, Cause I can get the two as a pair for a fairly decent price.

How much does that Jaguar Rear end cost? I've seen those used on Hotrods and the such, very trick.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

-The Stig- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:59 PM   #34
carguyinok
AF Enthusiast

Very true on the repair cost RB vs. LT1. Plus you dont need to make a new front cross member or custom oil pan.
For the jag IRS. You should be able (with some hunting) to find one form a wrecking yard for under a grand. Look for the V-12 coupe. The one in the pic is brand new 0 miles with a choice of gears. It runs around $3500. . But if you look at it as being the new rear end, disc brakes, coil over suspension, A-arms, and half shafts. IMO thats not a bad price for all that brand new.
good + cheap = not fast

Old 02-01-2004, 03:10 PM   #35
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Hmmm, So who would I have to contact if I were to want to buy such a rear end? Is there a company that supplies them brand new like the one pictured?

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:26 PM   #36
carguyinok
AF Enthusiast

HEIDT'S
Sorry about that I should have put the link in the last post
I think they have it listed online for around 4000 or so. I was talking with one of the shops here in Oklahoma that sell's there parts and they said they could get me set up for the $3500 range.
good + cheap = not fast

Old 02-01-2004, 03:47 PM   #37
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Sweet... Now if I can only afford the $4100 for the IRS.

Thanks for the link.

Old 02-02-2004, 10:57 PM   #38
datsunadict
AF Regular

will that whole rear end actually fit under a Z car?!! that thing is huge. If you acutally get that to fit, let us all know how you did it, cause i would love to do that to mine too.

I like how they moved the brakes in to lower the unsprung weight.
datsunadict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:17 PM   #39
carguyinok
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
will that whole rear end actually fit under a Z car?!! that thing is huge. If you acutally get that to fit, let us all know how you did it, cause i would love to do that to mine too.
Yes, It will fit. I was at a Datsun show & shine. kicking tires and dreaming Anyway, I came across one done with the the true JAG rearend. He said it was no big deal. Other then the mounting bar across the top. That was custom. The bar on the one in the photo is for a box style street rod frame. I have a shop here that charges me $30 an hour for fab work. Parts and labor should run me about $150 on the high side for the bar.
I wish I could say I was even close to that point at this time But the motor is first for me. Plus I have started collecting parts for that at this point. Heck I have well over a year in the body shell alone. It's my dream car from way back so it being done slow but well. I wish I was rich but I am not So it takes time.
I was making good money in vegas and my 73 vette took over 18 months But with taking a year off for school I am down to collecting small parts and putting alittle money aside.
good + cheap = not fast

Old 02-10-2004, 02:51 PM   #40
AeroE
AF Newbie

Re: Mega Datsuns

i don't know if you guys want a sleeper, you just haven't considered the body. but here is a site with a few body kits. most of the kits have some pretty sexy curves. http://www.reactionresearch.com/automotive.html

Also, i read a book call, making horsepower, or something like that. it's been awhile, but anyway it had TONS of mods that could be done to a SBC at home with a grinder and a few other normal tools. but it also has mods that take money. it is an good read and i would suggest reading it before you drop that v-8 into your Z. unless you don't mind pulling it out again...
AeroE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:43 PM   #41
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Those kits would be nice if you wanted to change your car over to a Ferrari Replica... No Thanks.

It looks mildly like a GTO, but the roof line is off.

The Convertible doesn't look so bad... but then you're cutting up the car. Once again... No thanks.

I like my Datsun just the way it is... classic lines. I wouldn't destory those lines to make a cheap Ferrari replica any day.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:02 PM   #42
AeroE
AF Newbie

Re: Mega Datsuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck383
I like my Datsun just the way it is... classic lines. I wouldn't destory those lines to make a cheap Ferrari replica any day.
i don't know how far into the site you looked but there are a few other kits. the yz

http://www.reactionresearch.com/Fish...bird/index.htm
http://www.reactionresearch.com/Fisher%20PIR/index.htm

although ted here uses his as an autocross car, it's still streetable.

or the subtle Z body kit.

http://www.reactionresearch.com/subtlezgallery.html
http://www.reactionresearch.com/subtlez.html

i like them both, they keep the body of the Z close enough to where you can tell what it is, but it's still different than most of the other cars you see on the road. AND with the larger rear finders you can mount larger rear tires. if you do the v-8 swap, your going to need as much tire surface area as you can get.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:00 PM   #43
AeroE
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Mega Datsuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroE
Also, i read a book call, making horsepower, or something like that. it's been awhile, but anyway it had TONS of mods that could be done to a SBC at home with a grinder and a few other normal tools. but it also has mods that take money. it is an good read and i would suggest reading it before you drop that v-8 into your Z. unless you don't mind pulling it out again...
i found that book that i was talking about. it's "how to build chevy small blocks on a budget" writen by david vizard. don't know if you guys have ever heard of him, but when i comes to SBC this guy know's his stuff. this book covers everything from how to find the right block at the salvage yards to nitrous oxide ingection and everything in between. also at the end of the book he has a "ten hot engine builds" section. the first one was built for $644 bucks and pushs out around 310 hp at 4500 rpms and has a nice steady 360ish ft/lbs of torque all the way through the rpm range. the tenth engine was build for $2820. it's a 406 race motor that puts out 550 horses at 6,000 rpm and 525 ft/lbs of torque at 5,000 rpms. if you guys have any questions about any of these 10 motors i would be more that willing to read up on it and write back.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:00 AM   #44
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Re: Re: Re: Mega Datsuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroE
i found that book that i was talking about. it's "how to build chevy small blocks on a budget" writen by david vizard. don't know if you guys have ever heard of him, but when i comes to SBC this guy know's his stuff. this book covers everything from how to find the right block at the salvage yards to nitrous oxide ingection and everything in between. also at the end of the book he has a "ten hot engine builds" section. the first one was built for $644 bucks and pushs out around 310 hp at 4500 rpms and has a nice steady 360ish ft/lbs of torque all the way through the rpm range. the tenth engine was build for $2820. it's a 406 race motor that puts out 550 horses at 6,000 rpm and 525 ft/lbs of torque at 5,000 rpms. if you guys have any questions about any of these 10 motors i would be more that willing to read up on it and write back.

Or we could just buy the book ourselves.

Thanks for the links... I saw the Subtle Z kit... it's alrighttt. I like the fact that you get to use wider wheels.

Old 02-13-2004, 05:12 PM   #45
AeroE
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mega Datsuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck383
Or we could just buy the book ourselves.
Man, i'm all about saving money. So that comment was for those people out there that are as thrifty as i am.