Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
ScottWheels
AF Newbie

Need help with first car-completely new to them

Im new also . Ive been without a car for the last 4 years. I work from home, and everything i need to shop for i can walk or ride a bike to get - no car needed. But i think i should get a car because i have a new dog that may need to go to a vet, and maybe once in a while i may need an emergency vehicle to visit the doctor too. But can anyone give me advice on what car i should get (a used car is all i need, and i'd like to have something reliable but cheap on gas and insurance)... im clueless , anyone please help me in the direction for my needs - i just need a car for emergencies, i dont want to pay too much insurance just for emergency ya know ?
ScottWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Re: Need help with first car-completely new to them

I split your post to a whole new thread so that it gets some individualized attention.

If you're looking for a cheap but reliable car, you can check out the newer (late 90s upward) Hyundai models or can't go wrong with a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. I find that the imports tend to be more reliable in the long run than domestics and usually get great gas mileage while they're at it. Just keep in mind that you do get what you pay for...

Keep us posted on how your search is going - and what kind of pup have you got? I have a permanent American Pit Bull Terrier mix named Andrew and currently have a German Shepherd mix foster pup from a rescue group named Maggie.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speediva For This Useful Post:
ScottWheels (06-02-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
DrGDug
AF Newbie

I would suggest either the Toyota Matrix or the Pontiac Vibe. Either are inexpensive to purchase, insure and maintain; easy on gas, have generous cargo space and are very reliable. Good luck.
DrGDug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

In your case, I strongly suggest forgetting auto ownership outright and sign up for an auto sharing service like ZipCar. Its available all over LA. It's WAY cheaper that ownership for occasional use, and your car is always clean, new and reliable.

My friends who use ZipCar and AutoShare swear by it. Totally reliable service.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:39 AM   #5
ScottWheels
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
In your case, I strongly suggest forgetting auto ownership outright and sign up for an auto sharing service like ZipCar. Its available all over LA. It's WAY cheaper that ownership for occasional use, and your car is always clean, new and reliable.

My friends who use ZipCar and AutoShare swear by it. Totally reliable service.

Eh, All those Zipcar things are about a 20 minute ,30 minute bike ride. gah... great idea though.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #6
ScottWheels
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediva View Post
I split your post to a whole new thread so that it gets some individualized attention.

If you're looking for a cheap but reliable car, you can check out the newer (late 90s upward) Hyundai models or can't go wrong with a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. I find that the imports tend to be more reliable in the long run than domestics and usually get great gas mileage while they're at it. Just keep in mind that you do get what you pay for...

Keep us posted on how your search is going - and what kind of pup have you got? I have a permanent American Pit Bull Terrier mix named Andrew and currently have a German Shepherd mix foster pup from a rescue group named Maggie.
thanks im new here so i might not post correctly