Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LaCrosse/Allure
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 08:13 AM   #1
EssKayKay
AF Newbie

Synthetic or Conventional oil?

Do I need synthetic oil or can I use conventional oil in our 2014 Buick LaCrosse? We only put on about 2,000 miles a year (I know - sad). I usually change the oil once a year.

Additionally, what about a 2019 Jeep Cherokee? That one only gets about 3,000 miles annually (again, long story - I should really sell one of these)?

Thanks,
Steve K.
EssKayKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:21 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Synthetic or Conventional oil?

Considering that the oil gets changed only once a year, the cost of oil should be less of a consideration. If the vehicle were driven 20,000 miles a year, the 5-6 oil changes would have a greater impact on maintenance costs.

Also considering that synthetic oils resist acid formation better than mineral oils, and the long periods in the crankcase, synthetic seems to make more sense.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a '96 Chevy that only gets started about 4 times a year, and an '86 Pontiac that only gets driven about 4 miles a year. Obviously, they both get synthetic, and still get changed to help keep moisture and acids under control.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:24 AM   #3
EssKayKay
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
Considering that the oil gets changed only once a year, the cost of oil should be less of a consideration. If the vehicle were driven 20,000 miles a year, the 5-6 oil changes would have a greater impact on maintenance costs.

Also considering that synthetic oils resist acid formation better than mineral oils, and the long periods in the crankcase, synthetic seems to make more sense.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a '96 Chevy that only gets started about 4 times a year, and an '86 Pontiac that only gets driven about 4 miles a year. Obviously, they both get synthetic, and still get changed to help keep moisture and acids under control.
Thanks Blue, good suggestion - will do.
EssKayKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 06:37 AM   #4
CREWZN
AF Newbie

That is solid advice. The once yearly oil change cost over time is worth using the synthetic.
CREWZN is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LaCrosse/Allure