Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > Stress Release
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Stress Release Warning: Don't get offended by what's in here.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 01:19 AM   #1
taranaki
Banned

Some dumb **** put diesel into my wife's car......

:o .......It was me.

moral of the story,either

a/ use the full serve station
b/make sure to buy either diesel OR petrol cars,not both
c/pay attention when filling someone else's car.

Oh well...at least I own a diesel car to use the fuel in....

The last of the petrol won't seperate out in my diesel tank will it?
Old 02-08-2003, 12:48 PM   #2
Rich
Never Fear, Rich is here!

Send a message via MSN to Rich
Dont feel too bad Mr.T. I did something similar a few weeks ago. I borrowed my friends VW Jetta Diesel while my sentra was in the shop, and the caprice is still in winter storage.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I think it is only right to fill up the tank after you borrow someones car. Unfortionatly, I filled it up with petrol, and not diesel. Man, I felt like an idiot.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:34 PM   #3
Oz
Aussie Mod

Send a message via AIM to Oz

How did you get it out? Siphon? Got a mouth full o' diseasel?
Old 02-09-2003, 01:46 PM   #4
taranaki
Banned

Expert fuel-burglars like me know how to syphon without getting a mouthful.And I let the fuel pump finish the job off and flush the lines.Cleand out the filters and the car runs better than it did before!Depressing getting underneath the car though,the exhaust system is just about crapola'd..
Old 02-10-2003, 05:25 PM   #5
replicant_008
AF Enthusiast

Down on the farm...

I used to go out with a young country lass who lived on a farm. As I was young, in love, naive I used to spend a good deal of my weekend out at the farm basically providing free labour to her family (it seemed a good idea @ the time).

Her father and I used to get on quite well - she'd never had a boyfriend from the city who could plow a field with a tractor, pick tomatoes, drive a quad without killing himself before. And being a bit of a numbers man, I was helping him out with some bookwork and scratched my head a bit. Seemed like the old codger was spending a lot of money on petrol - more than I could explain even with all the machinery. Sometimes there would be litres and litres of the stuff being used by two ride-on mowers.

So I mentioned it to the old fellow. Seems he was a bit suspicious of the one of the young farm hands who always was seemingly broke but apparently had no trouble with travelling miles and miles on his days off.

Will one weekend we siphoned off most of the petrol tank into jerry cans and stuck them in the back of the shed. We then pumped about 30 litres of diesel into the petrol storage tank (which was one of those big white painted ones above ground). I'd filled the ride-on mowers and the quad so we didn't need any gas for a day or two.

Sure enough, the next day - the young farm hand didn't arrive to work.

The old farmer rang me up and explained over the phone that apparently someone had taken some of the contents of the 'petrol' tank which now had a quantity of diesel in it.

Apparently, the young farm hand had been driving down the road and had his vehicle stop and couldn't get it started again - which is why he'd had trouble getting to work the next day.

Suffice to say, there were no more unexplained losses of petrol thereon
Old 02-11-2003, 04:52 PM   #6
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
LOL! @ rep!

Mixing the two fuels can have interesting effects.

Adding petrol to a deisel engine is generaly a bad idea.
I know sevral long distance truckies who add about a 10% mix of pertrol once a week. It cleans out the fuel lines, and does a very good job of de-carboning the engine.

However its not something you should do to an older deisel engine.
We had a young newbi about half fill a Desiel patrol with petrol at a shell station I worked at.
The patrol made it most of the way from the North Shore to Papakura (about 50-60ks) before it stopped. The fuel was drained out, and the lines cleaned, and it started again, but didn't have enough power to get moving. Clearly something had gone wrong inside the engine.
It was towed into the work shop and the head was whipped off.
The Patrol had done well over 200,000ks yet all 6 cylinders where shiney and clean, just like new.
The petrol mix had cleaned ALL of the carbon out of the engine, carbon that had built up to such an extrent on the cylinder walls and pistons that it was the only thing forming a tight seal. Once this was gone, the engine wasn't able to hold enough compression under load to run.

The only result of putting desiel in a petrol engine I have seen has been either lots of smoke, or the engine failing to start.
Generaly its a lot safer than adding petrol to a desiel engine.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:27 PM   #7
dudley
AF Newbie

as long as you get most of the diesel out a full tank of gas will get rid of the rest and diesel does mix with gas.no harm done.use a siphon pump to extract the diesel,they cost about 3 dollars.cheap plastic one.:smoka:
Old 08-23-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
toyotagirl
AF Newbie

Re: Some dumb **** put diesel into my wife's car......

Hello Guys, I was on empty on my toyota corolla 05, got abt 5 dollars worth of gas, and then my car started sputtering after abt 15 mins, after which i went to a mechanic who suggested i put "HEET" in my tank because i must have gotten water in my tank. my tank was abt 1/3 full. car still sputtered, but i made it to my destination. i tried to restart my car after abt 4-5 hrs of it being parked and it sputtered, died, and the "engine," "oil," and "battery" lights came on. it was abt 1/4 tank full. i then had it towed to my dealer who said the possibilites are bad gas or diesel in a petrol car. he is saying that there is a possible 800-2000 dollar repair charge. does anyone have any insights into my situation? i would greatly appreciate any help!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:14 PM   #9
ec437
AF Enthusiast

Holy old thread batman! Not only does taranaki no longer post here, he got seperated long before he stopped posting!

SoStAsSaId: and the flight attendant is cute... if i was a lesbian, i'd join the mile high club

<---call this number
Old 08-23-2005, 08:41 PM   #10
Muscletang
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
Holy old thread batman! Not only does taranaki no longer post here, he got seperated long before he stopped posting!
Oh well, nobody liked him so a few members will get a good laugh from this.

silly rabbit, tricks are for kids...

I mean, WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST GIVE HIM SOME CEREAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Ulrich
What?! Record sales are slumping? Must be from all those pirates. Can't be because we started sucking 10 years ago.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:46 PM   #11
clawhammer
AF Fanatic

This thread is really old.

Mods:
Engine: Comptech Air Intake Box, miscellanous chrome dress up pieces
Suspension: Comptech front strut tower bar
Exterior: Grillcraft grill, lots of wax
Interior: Rick's leather console cover, Muz one-piece luxury floormats, Rick's windscreen,
Electronics/Audio: Polk speakers
Wheels/tires: 18" SSR Competition wheels with 225/40 and 255/35 tires

Old 08-24-2005, 08:42 AM   #12
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Send a message via AIM to -Josh-

Good ole naki...

AF User Guidelines

What is a mippie? - click
Old 08-24-2005, 09:57 AM   #13
goat_launcher
AF Enthusiast

Why is this even a topic? They have nozzle thing that prevent you from putting the wrong fuel in the wrong car, so either your lying, or the guy who pumped your gas is a fucking retard. Either way, this topic should...holy shit, 2003! Wow, ppl are still bringing up old topics for the hell of it. Sometimes I think the planet is ruled by dumb ppl..I'm going back to bed. Peace.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:33 PM   #14
PBking82
AF Enthusiast

Seems to be a lot of the resurection going around lately. I was on a bus trip and we had to stop for gas. The driver of the bus pumped both tanks full of regular gas and didn't even realize it untill he went to pay, and the damage was quite severe. We then had to wait for a pumper truck to come out and drain the tanks of the gas then fill it with diesel. All in all took about 4-5 hours between getting the truck there, emptying the tanks, then filling them again. Fucking moron driver got fired right then and there, bus company sent out a new driver with the pump truck. At most new gas stations you can't fit the diesel pump into the gas tank neck, but you can fit a gas pump into a diesel neck. Fucking morons need to read the signs. Peace-
Old 08-24-2005, 01:40 PM   #15
lamehonda
AF Enthusiast

Yes!!!!

I thought taranaki was back. What a relief.