Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Grand Marquis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blue)(Fusion Send a message via Yahoo to Blue)(Fusion
What do I need to do my own maintenenace?

So I've been reading up all the information I can baout my car (I want to make it last through 100,000 miles and beyond). I read many of the horror stories involving the intake manifold. I'm somewhat of a paranoid person when it comes to performance and the life of anything of mine, but most likely, many of you are, too, about your cars.

Anyway, I am a novice when it comes to actually doing my own work on car engines. I can name, label, and even describe most parts in a car or aircraft engine, but when it comes to doing work on them, I've never really done anything besides add oil and other fluids when they're low.

But I'm tired of spending $500-$1000 at the shop when I get my car worked on only to have to come back because when they fix one thing, two things end up smashed by a wrench.

I just bought the Haynes service manual for the 1988-2000 Grand Marquis and Crown Victorias to help me out. I intend to start performing my own maintenance on my car and keeping it running clean, and mean for years to come, since I no longer have much trust in mechanics.

So, for starters, I intend to purchase a new intake manifold to replace the original one. I have no special automotive tools as it stands, but the Autozone is only a few minutes away. What kind of stuff should I expect to have to get to replace this manifold?

At the same time I also want to clean the electronic sensors (MAF, TPS, etc.), throttle body, spark plugs, and fuel injecotrs to assure optimal efficiency and performance. What kind of cleaner should I buy for that?

I also read that the coolant lines might also need replacement if they crack when I bend them. The car is parked a ways away in the campus parking lot right now, but next time I have to go get it, I will see if that is the case. If they do need to be replaced, are these parts that I can just pick up at an AutoZone or do I need to go another route to get these?

Thanks for any help, suggestions, and tidbits you can give to a newbie. I hope to join the ranks of some of you DIY mechanics someday soon.
Blue)(Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

Re: What do I need to do my own maintenenace?

Sorry you feel that way about mechanics. I have worked on cars since 1963 so I guess I am a mechanic. Since you don't trust us, I can not help. Sorry again. I was hoping to help you since you want to do your own work, but since you do not trust me-------------

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Ok, let me rephrase my last. I don't trust stealership mechanics much anymore. And the last time I took my car to a non-dealer mechanic for new brakes, I ended up getting all of them replaced by my next oil change because they used cheap parts.

I look forward to input from "real" mechanics...the ones that believe in customer loyalty and a quality job. The ones that do a halfassed job and put it back together with the "it's good enough" mentality are the ones I try to avoid.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

The re-wording was nice, but it still changes nothing in my mind. I hope someone else will give you the help you want. Thanks for using the forum.

HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS

Old 02-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
bobss396
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bobss396

I'll give you a hand. I've been fixing cars since around 1970 and professionally for about 10 years before getting out of it. I still fix my own when I have the time and I can handle it.

The Haynes manuals are not that good, but would be good for basics like fluid capacities and general repairs. If you are serious, look to get a professional Mercury shop manual set, they should be available used somewhere online.

But if you have no auto repair training, I would avoid working on things like your brakes or even changing the intake manifold. Mechanics don't look favorably on people who botch a repair job and bring it to them to fix. One place I worked we'd get them in on a tow truck all the time. Anything related to doing what used to be a simple tuneup also requires the right equipment to read codes, etc.

For things I prefer not to fix, I have a local independent shop that I deal with. Look for a good reputation, a clean shop inside and out and you should expect to see some certificates from training courses on the wall. The mechanics should be certified by something like ASE or NATEF.

With some experience, you can do your own oil changes and other fluids, routine maintenance, fix the easy things that would cost you $75 an hour up in a shop. Start out by getting a good manual, a basic tool set, a good jack, jackstands, a creeper, trouble light.

Bob
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the insight, Bob. I think you are right and I may be jumping the gun and thinking I can do everything myself without any experience. Stuff like brakes and suspension I would not do myself for sure. If it's a concern of safety, I want the certified mechanics to do it.

I was talking to my uncle and he said he'd she me a lot of the ins and outs of engines and whatnot. He has a large collection of different cars and trucks. He does everything on them including rebuilding the engines. I'm hoping we can find a day or two he can put aside for me and do something in the way of that intake manifold and clean everything we can up. I mostly want to see how the inner workings look because I am a very curious individual .

Again, thanks for your input. I will see what my uncle says are some good tools to get for a beginner for preventative maintenance like you mentioned.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
kenpodude
AF Newbie

It's not that hard to do your own work on many things, including brakes with moderate mechanical ability. As long as; someone shows you a couple times, you have good tools and a decent manual you should be fine.

I'll never pay for another brake job. It's the easiest part of a car to work on in my opinion.
It's a shame that the crusty "way2old" old guy with 40 yrs of experience got offended. His pompus attitude and ego are exactly what gives people a bad opinion of mechanics and online boards. He probably has no real recent training or experience anyway (piezoelectric injectors or MMI systems).

My final .02: part of being a 'good' shade tree mechanic is knowing when you are out of your league. Good, professional mechanics are 'good' and 'professional' for a reason. I've always found people that are willing to let me watch and learn.

Good luck and have fun.
kenpodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

I really don't think I have the attitude. When someone does not trust mechanics, why do they want mechanics to answer their questions? I feel the people that "think" they are mechanics and can do brake jobs and oil changes are the problem. Also kenpodude, I will post my certifications, training, employment history and compare it to yours. Shade tree mechanics are good people. I don't think your response is the answer of a shade tree. You want to show your knowledge. So post away. I will await your expertise. Thank you for showing me how much I do not know. By the way, how many teeth are on a VSS for a 2001 Grand Marquis? Glad to see you participate in our forum. Hope to see you stay around.

HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS

Old 02-16-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
miamibob
AF Regular

OK Guys - time for everyone to go to their neutral corners! I have been on this board for a few years and can attest WAY2OLD is both knowledgeable and extremely helpful. I have posted here or sent him PM's and he has responded both quickly and precisely. I do not yet know KENPODUDE but he seems to have valuable info to add and isn't that why we are here?? Sometimes I answer someone's questions because I already performed the repair or have specific knowledge of it. Most other times I have the questions and have found that everyone at least tries to be helpful. We don't have a person to spare and their are no "dumb" questions so let's welcome everyone's opinions and not turn this great board into a "pissing contest". I, for one, would appreciate having both of you folks here on this forum as I am sure you both have a somewhat different perspective and we can all gain from the sums of your knowledge!! Thanks for reading all this. MB
miamibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
reekor
AF Enthusiast

I have to say that I am with way2old on this one. You don't insult someone’s profession and then ask him or her for help. Kenpodude I have seen a lot of people that think that they can do brakes with moderate mechanical ability as they are installing right hand brake pads on the left hand side.

His, 96 Limited, 5.2 Magnum, Magnaflow CatBack System, HID Head & Fog Lamps, 242 T-case swapped , Rear Trac-Loc. Chrome grill added to match the wheels.

Hers, 96 Limited I6, 242 T-case, HID Head & Fog Lamps.
reekor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

Thanks Miamibob. Needed the cooler heads. These things just set me off the wrong way. Appreciate the support from you and reekor. Guess I will have an "adult beverage" and think on it for awhile.

HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS

Old 02-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #12
bobss396
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bobss396

Quote:
Originally Posted by reekor
I have to say that I am with way2old on this one. You don't insult someone’s profession and then ask him or her for help. Kenpodude I have seen a lot of people that think that they can do brakes with moderate mechanical ability as they are installing right hand brake pads on the left hand side.
Too bad that this sort of thing happens on "driveway" brake jobs. I used to see it all the time when I was in the trade. Someone's nephew who is in high school
and takes auto shop fixed his brakes for "free".

But now they're in for at least a couple of drums and hardware kits because parts were put on wrong or lost. Oh BTW, I believe that you are referring to left and right side brake shoes. Which are quite different if you have the training and can even tell me the theory behind self energizing brakes.

Bob
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #13
kenpodude
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamibob
OK Guys - time for everyone to go to their neutral corners! I have been on this board for a few years and can attest WAY2OLD is both knowledgeable and extremely helpful. I have posted here or sent him PM's and he has responded both quickly and precisely. I do not yet know KENPODUDE but he seems to have valuable info to add and isn't that why we are here?? Sometimes I answer someone's questions because I already performed the repair or have specific knowledge of it. Most other times I have the questions and have found that everyone at least tries to be helpful. We don't have a person to spare and their are no "dumb" questions so let's welcome everyone's opinions and not turn this great board into a "pissing contest". I, for one, would appreciate having both of you folks here on this forum as I am sure you both have a somewhat different perspective and we can all gain from the sums of your knowledge!! Thanks for reading all this. MB
Good enough by me.
I don't doubt what 2old says about his 40 yrs. I just don't like newbies being slammed for an innocent statement. He obviously hasnt been on a car board before and his characterization of mechanics is slanted. I just think that he could have been handled better. He was looking for help. His intention wasn't to piss in anyones 'adult beverage'.
And for my references, I have no problem saying that I've never been to automotive schools or given 'professional' training. I grew up watching my Pop in the garage. Later on I had several great friends that I assisted. Beyond that, I've been working on multiple makes/models of cars for only 8 years. (as well as being on auto boards for 8yrs.) Doing my own work feels good and if someone wants to try it...they should. IMO
kenpodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #14
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

OK it seems I got off on the wrong foot. I appreciate your help, kenpodude. I am undoubtedly a newbie in car forums and in self-maintenance. I am not trying to get into this self-maintenance because I want to save money...although it is a side-effect if done right . I want to get into this because I am interested in mechanical stuff. As a pilot I have to know the ins and outs of any airplane I fly, including how the engine works, how the systems works, and I love that kind of stuff so I thought I'd apply it to my car.

Someone mentioned driveway brake jobs. I definitely do not trust myself enough to even attempt to do brake work or anything that could be a serious safety issue. Of course I'd bring that to the mechanics who has the proper training and tools. I was hasty in my initial post in saying "I don't trust mechanics" as that is absolutely not true. I just like to know what is going on inside my car (this applies to other stuff of mine, too...hence I build my own computers). The best way to do that is see what's being done, which I have never seen at a shop before (for safety/insurance reasons).

Some of you may still think less of me for my statements, but I really do have good intentions and don't mean to step on anyone's profession.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

I do not think less of anyone. I have had to put up with the stigma of "just being a mechanic" for a very long time. Believe it or not, most of us are well trained and are willing to help when asked. I think our profession is just behind the attorneys as the least trusted profession, but it does not deter anyone from asking for free advice. I am willing to assist if there is any way I can help. Just keep the slams on my profession in forums I do not frequent. That being said, maybe we can start this thread over. I try not to downgrade anyone because of what they do. If a person is out there pulling their weight in the economy, I can't knock them down for trying. So Blue)(Fusion, IK guess I will allow that comment to flow out into cyberspace. Just find my posts and you will see I am no stranget to upholding my profession. Thanks to all that have posted in this thread and in this forum.

HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Grand Marquis