Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
jase386
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to jase386
When is it a Classic

At what age does a car become a Classic? some say 20 yrs, some say 25, and then an antique at 50?

any ideas?
jase386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:05 AM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: When is it a Classic

According to my state DMV's rules a car is considered a "classic" and eligible for historical plates when it is 25 years or older. This rule also applies to the use of plates on the vehicle that were originally used in that year. We can put plates on the car/truck from that model year and use them as valid registration tags, as long as the vehicle is 25 years old or more.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

Re: Re: When is it a Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97ventureowner
According to my state DMV's rules a car is considered a "classic" and eligible for historical plates when it is 25 years or older. This rule also applies to the use of plates on the vehicle that were originally used in that year. We can put plates on the car/truck from that model year and use them as valid registration tags, as long as the vehicle is 25 years old or more.
ditto, but i beleave that applys to the model year, not production date. i while back i saw some weird law(i think illinois state) that said a reproduction or custom car designed as a certian model year can be registered as that year. so if i made a 1957 Chevy Belair from the ground up, i could resistered it as a 1957, even if i made it in 2005. or something along those lines.
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:51 PM   #4
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Since the consensus seems to be 25 years, it is hard to imagine such cars as the 1980 Chevette or Citation as being a "classic". You know you're getting old when cars you grew up with and possibly made fun of then are now considered classics.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:48 PM   #5
tman
Pimpin' ain't easy

Send a message via AIM to tman

Heck, I has practically born in the passenger seat of a 1969 Buick Electra 225(Deuce and a quarter) with a 403 engine. That sucker was big, green, and a tank. On North Carolina roads, it'd be on the yellow line one side, and the white line on the other.

tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 02:16 PM   #6
462cid
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman2093
Heck, I has practically born in the passenger seat of a 1969 Buick Electra 225(Deuce and a quarter) with a 403 engine. That sucker was big, green, and a tank. On North Carolina roads, it'd be on the yellow line one side, and the white line on the other.

typo? 430 is a Buick, 401 and "400"s were Buicks as well, but the non-nailhead "400"s were closer to 401 and technically violated a few GM rules, so Buick lied and called it a 400

403 is an Olds engine if I'm not mistaken. 430 was Buick's biggest until 1970, when the 455 debuted. 430s have desireable heads on some engines due to bigger valaves and ports, they bolt onto 455s

225s are nice cars. You could play football in the back seat. You don't still have it in the family by any chance?
462cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:23 AM   #7
tman
Pimpin' ain't easy

Send a message via AIM to tman

Nope, it was a 403. I believe it came from an Olds 98. You are indeed correct that it was an Olds motor. We sold it many years ago wit about 220000 miles on it. I saw it a few years ago. The gentleman driving it took off a litlle hard, and no smoke at all came out of the tailpipe. That car was indestructable.

By the way, the engine block was painted baby blue. The engine was rebuilt and repainted by my uncle. Is baby blue the color for Buick or Olds. I seem to recall one was supposed to be gold...

tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:33 AM   #8
462cid
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman2093
Nope, it was a 403. I believe it came from an Olds 98. You are indeed correct that it was an Olds motor. We sold it many years ago wit about 220000 miles on it. I saw it a few years ago. The gentleman driving it took off a litlle hard, and no smoke at all came out of the tailpipe. That car was indestructable.

By the way, the engine block was painted baby blue. The engine was rebuilt and repainted by my uncle. Is baby blue the color for Buick or Olds. I seem to recall one was supposed to be gold...
Buick used many colors, a light green/blue and red being most notable. Chevies were blue before they were orange. The Old engines could be a gold color

By the time Olds made the 403 I dount it would be painted blue at the factory. Somebody just painted it blue during the transplant. I use "GM Coroporate Blue" engine paint on my brake drums, it's a light blue and easily available, I'd bet that was the color
462cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #9
williamskinner16
AF Regular

Buick 425 nailhead same family as the 401 could be found in old Rivs.
williamskinner16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:07 PM   #10
williamskinner16
AF Regular

Aside from legal DMV rules I dont think anyone who is into American Cars can really consider many cars built after 72 worthy of "classic", sure they are old but with only a few excepions not too many could compare in power or quality. of course the 80s GN regal T top are among that exemption. So unless the vehichle is a particular model ie. 74 Pontiac GTO455. As well as vehichles modified can can be exempt. Full size Trucks are exempt from this guide, especially 4X4 up in the north winter states. and jeeps. But thats how I feel.
williamskinner16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #11
GringoPete
AF Regular

That 69 225 was one big MoFo...... My neighbor had one in dark green also. i believe it had a black roof. i remember that the tires were huge. the snow tires that he used looked like they were taken off of a tractor. does anybody remember the size of those tires?
GringoPete is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > General Discussion