Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 03:41 PM   #61
DblOvrhedCamron
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DblOvrhedCamron Send a message via Yahoo to DblOvrhedCamron
Quote:
Originally posted by SVTerminator

Have you driven an '03 Cobra? This car will out proform any production F-body ever built, on the street, on the track, and on the drag strip.
not according to motor trend.... Have you driven a new Z06?

Old 06-03-2003, 03:49 PM   #62
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by DblOvrhedCamron

not according to motor trend.... Have you driven a new Z06?
A Corvette is NOT an F body. F bodies are Firebirds and Camaros.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:19 PM   #63
stangvette1
Banned

The vette Z06 is not super natural. It can and will occasionally get beat by a cobra. The Z06 is a nice car, but it's not out of the cobra's league!:flash: :flash: :flash:
Old 06-03-2003, 07:53 PM   #64
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
Who ever said the Z06 isnt underrated HP wise?

The F-Bodies are underated to keep the stock C5 from looking bad. Same damn motor just 'rated' different.

When the F-Bodies consistantly put down to the floor what they're rated at the crank... you know something is up.

Just something to chew on.

And Yes, I'm a Chevy fan... but the new Cobra is an awesome car. But truth is 90% of the people who own on wont be able to drive the car to its full potiential which is why i've seen them run mid 13s stock. Same damn things applys to Corvettes and any car... unless you learn how to drive it to its fullest you're just as fast as the rest of us.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 06-04-2003, 05:57 AM   #65
DblOvrhedCamron
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DblOvrhedCamron Send a message via Yahoo to DblOvrhedCamron
Quote:
Originally posted by PWMAN

A Corvette is NOT an F body. F bodies are Firebirds and Camaros.
I realized that after I posted it, but from reading all the posts b/f it I just assumed he slipped up since the thread was comparing a Z06 to a Corba and he seemed to favor the cobra. Why would he be comparing cars that were clearly not in its class.

Old 10-22-2003, 12:43 AM   #66
guitar_dean2001
AF Newbie

Lightbulb

Here's where it's at take the Z06 405 HP or whatever Supercharge that...it's only like 5000 or so it's gonna crank out about 538 HP...maybe even a touch of NOS and push about 638+ some HP...

Whatever Mustang it's not even close...even with MODS and NOS potential of ABOUT 510HP

Viper pretty much the same thing...NOS might beat the Vette mostly cuz it's got 10 Cyl to fill up w/NOS so there's more NOS there. If they made a Super for the Viper we're all screwed even SUPRA lovers and/or pretty much everything...potential of about 760HP superd and NOS'd up
Old 10-22-2003, 07:08 AM   #67
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

actually straight line the z06 will rape and rape and rape the cobra for everthing it has, no competition, it barely and i mean barely beats the base model
mustang svt cobra 1/4 mile 13.3
corvette Z06 1/4mile 12.5
and actually moter trend had some pro driver run the Z06 and ran a 12.4
there's a big diff between 13.3 and 12.4 kid
and who's this guy talking about nitrous
hey kid, do you know who lingenfelter is?
Old 10-22-2003, 11:28 AM   #68
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Corvette ZO6 vs Mustang Cobra SVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_dean2001
Here's where it's at take the Z06 405 HP or whatever Supercharge that...it's only like 5000 or so it's gonna crank out about 538 HP...maybe even a touch of NOS and push about 638+ some HP...

Whatever Mustang it's not even close...even with MODS and NOS potential of ABOUT 510HP

Viper pretty much the same thing...NOS might beat the Vette mostly cuz it's got 10 Cyl to fill up w/NOS so there's more NOS there. If they made a Super for the Viper we're all screwed even SUPRA lovers and/or pretty much everything...potential of about 760HP superd and NOS'd up
Can you say detonation?
You can't just add a SC to any engine, and how did you get those numbers anyway?
Like I said a page or too ago, the GT only has about 9:1 compression(I forget now, but something like that) and the Z06 has like 10.5:1. First of all you can only boost the Z06 like 6 PSI on PUMP GAS. The GT you can boost like 14 PSI. And forget nitrous, that just isn't possible without detonation running pump gas.
So boosting the GT 14 PSI will create roughly 500 HP, and 500 HP for the Z06 to because you can only do like 6 PSI. But the Vette will probably still win in a race because it's much lighter, but it will certainly NOT annihilate the mustang by any stretch.
BTW, just cuz the Viper has 10 cylinders does not make nitrous more affective, where do you get your information noob?
Old 10-22-2003, 08:48 PM   #69
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
Z06 vs. SVT-Cobra, have i not heard this one before.
A rule I go by is when I compare a car, plz do it in stock form. Or for no confusion. Don't say 34k plus 16k in mods okay. Or 50k plus 30k in mods alright, after that they cannot be compared because their probably in a different class. Kinda like comparing a Enzo to a 3cylinder Metro. For the sake of argument i wanna argue to hehe. Breakdown:
A Z06 claims 405hp. Cobra 390hp. (Remember thats what they claim) Weight: Z06 3150+/-, Cobra 3650+/-. Skidpad: Z06 .99g, Cobra .90g. 0-60: Z06 4.1+/-, Cobra 4.5+/-. Quarter Mile: Z06 12.6+/-, Cobra 13.1+/-. 0-100: Z06 9.1+/-, Cobra 11.1+/-. I'll even throw in gas milage(city/highway). Z06 19/28, Cobra 16/22. Okay now we have some numbers to compare with. If any of you think that your car can run .5 seconds faster than the rated 1/4mi. without doing anything, absolutly anything to the car than your dreaming ok. That means a Z06 will not run a 12.1 stock (thats ridiculous), or a Cobra running a 12.6 stock (omg whatever). Its just not going to happen, but you know, that every buddy has a "buddy", that knows a "buddy" who did somthing right.(bs "buddy"). Now im not talking drivers because they do make all the difference. Or put it this way, the same driver driving each car okay. That makes an even argument (get it). A 03' Cobra should be compared to a C5. Everyone knows their running very close to each other. A Cobra according to data (which relates to fact) will not beat a Z06 0-60, 0-100, 1/4. If a Cobra be named anything it should be a straight-line car, because its top end is no where comparable to a Z06, its just to heavy and to boxy. Now hell i respect a Cobra when I see one. (they have a nice profile), and vise versa for the Z06, but you cannot argue with the facts (data) ok, it just makes yourselfs look like a fool. Now i've seen dyno ratings rwhp/rwtq for a Z06 365/358, Cobra 369.7/359.7. Just for shits and giggles the flywheelhp/tq on the Cobra was 452.7/436.4 I shit you not, back me up mustang fans. This particular dynoed Z06 was flywheeling 404.7/398.9. So the Cobra does have more flywheel power, but it seems to loose a lot through the drivetrain. I'm not very up to date on the Cobras drivetrain technology but thats a lot of hp loss. And for one otherthing go by the hp/weight rule. Every 10hp makes up for 100pounds. That should give you a better idea for weight to power differences. All of my sources are credible (including dynos), most info came from car and driver, and why would they lie. Most dynos are posted on Mustang/Vette sites, and the graphs do not lie. I'm going for the Z06 as in performing, but damn I wouldn't mind it for a second if I had a Cobra no doubt about it. 35k vs. 50k. Its only money right.........hehe
Old 11-17-2003, 02:20 PM   #70
scoobaslicks
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuPeRcAr_MaN
IMO, no sane person would take the Mustang over the Z06. No doubt the Z06 would win a race, and the styling is almost uncomparible inside and out. Maybe I just am too much of an anti-Mustang guy, but I think the Z06 is clearly the better car.

I've been reading some of this and I just wanted to throw in my two cents. The Z06 is a great car no doubt. But the Mustang SVT Cobra (for about $17,000-19,000 less) has all the goods for beating out the Z06. Not only in Fast Fords and Muscle Mustangs did the SVT Cobra beat the Z06 in 1/4 mile time. The results were the same in Hot Rodder Magazine. One more, Due the outstanding design of the Independant rear suspension on the Cobra, the SVT Destroyed the ZO6 and Viper on slolum and road course. It's obviously no doubt that the best Bite for your Buck goes to The Cobra. (in case ur wondering the SVT 1/4 mile time was 4.5 sec. and the Z06 was 4.6)
Old 11-17-2003, 04:32 PM   #71
OoNismoO
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngvr4
actually straight line the z06 will rape and rape and rape the cobra for everthing it has, no competition, it barely and i mean barely beats the base model
mustang svt cobra 1/4 mile 13.3
corvette Z06 1/4mile 12.5
and actually moter trend had some pro driver run the Z06 and ran a 12.4
there's a big diff between 13.3 and 12.4 kid
and who's this guy talking about nitrous
hey kid, do you know who lingenfelter is?
i have the june 02 car and driver magazine that tested the mustang svt cobra, and it got 12.9 for the 1/4, i know every resource is gonna be different, but just showing some of the times that they have gotten for the cobra.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:55 PM   #72
scoobaslicks
AF Newbie

Sorry, 12.5 And 12.6
Old 11-17-2003, 04:58 PM   #73
scoobaslicks
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Corvette ZO6 vs Mustang Cobra SVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobaslicks
I've been reading some of this and I just wanted to throw in my two cents. The Z06 is a great car no doubt. But the Mustang SVT Cobra (for about $17,000-19,000 less) has all the goods for beating out the Z06. Not only in Fast Fords and Muscle Mustangs did the SVT Cobra beat the Z06 in 1/4 mile time. The results were the same in Hot Rodder Magazine. One more, Due the outstanding design of the Independant rear suspension on the Cobra, the SVT Destroyed the ZO6 and Viper on slolum and road course. It's obviously no doubt that the best Bite for your Buck goes to The Cobra. (in case ur wondering the SVT 1/4 mile time was 4.5 sec. and the Z06 was 4.6)
SORRY, 12.5 AND 12.6, I WAS THINKING OF 0-60 TIMES
Old 11-17-2003, 05:23 PM   #74
scoobaslicks
AF Newbie

OK so everybody has their own arguments. I've seen the Cobra smoke the Z06 and others have seen different. Hell maybe there is some bias in some of the magazines we read. Who knows. The most important two arguments that the Cobra has over the Z06 is obviously, for one the price. The second is Fords ability to make just about the same horsepower(390) compared to the Z06(405) using a significantly smaller block. SVT(281 cubic inches) Z06(350 cubic inches) nearly 70 cubic inches of difference or Wasted space.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:50 PM   #75
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTerminator
In the motortrend article the C5 convertable edged out a Cobra convertable.
The cobra coupe will out run a C5 coupe in the 1/4 and is only .1 seconds behind the ZO6.
If you look at motortrend a few months earlier when they first started reviewing the cobra you will see that the 1/4 mile times were quicker than in the most recent issue. It was well in the 12's. Only in the new issue did it get 13's because that driver messed up the launch. He might be a professional driver but he definately messed up.

These GM guys have chips on their shoulder because they are falling behind. The FORD GT will stomp a Z06 and a Viper in the 1/4 or on the track.

You mention times out of Motor Trend, but when someone else uses the same magazine to to post some facts you call it bullshit. While I will admit that the Cobra can keep up with the Z06 in the 1/4, that is the only place it can. The Z06 is far better in every other aspect and will murder a Cobra on the track. Also, the GM guys don't have anything wrong, Ford is the ones with the problem. Also, let's keep in mind that the Cobra is supercharged while the Z06 is N/A. As for the GT, it had better out handle the Viper SRT-10 and the Z06 for the $150,000 pricetag, but then again it is all speculation because the car isn't even OUT YET. So shut up. If you want to play that game then let's just wait and see when the C6 Z06 and Viper Competition Coupe come out.

After reading the rest of your posts I must simply agree with Jimster here that both you and stangvette are deluded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
stangvette- you are deluded- just get over it
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangvette1
Besides for SVTerminator, you guys are a bunch of chevy-loving freaks that don't know anything about the cobra. That was one article in one magazine. Big DEAL!!!!!!! SVTerminator is smart. He knows about the cobra. As for some of the rest of you guys, I'm not sure that you know much of anything. :finger:
Like I said before, you act like a child and both you and SVTerminator post a ton of bullshit with nothing to back it up. You give Mustang owners and fans alike a bad name.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons