Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:59 PM   #16
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: has anyone had trouble with fram oil filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss396
But do be aware some chain stores, also some big auto supply houses, carry "bargain" versions of otherwise reputable filter products. Sometimes the part number is slightly different or it is packaged differently. How else can they sell you a filter for $2 that normally goes for $6?

Bob
Not to sound like a broken record, but those of you who are familiar with me on these forums know how big a fan I am of AC Delco products. Having owned almost 20 GM vehicles, and selling auto parts for many years, I've had a chance to see the differences. I've posted a link to a study done on various makes of oil filters by an independant lab, and it showed AC Delcos ranked #1. ( At this time I cannot locate the link, if I should find it,I'll repost it in this thread.) On the subject of buying oil filters, see if there is a AC Delco parts warehouse in your area that you can buy from. I buy my genuine AC Delco oil filters for $3.79 (PF47, and PF52.) The salesman told me on my last visit that they carry a dozen pack of the same filter at a much lower price than individual filters. They are wrapped together in a box. They are primarily sold to dealers and garages in bulk, to cut down on extra packaging costs. I'm thinking of going that route and purchasing my filters that way. (Just keep them covered so no foreign matter comes in contact with the filters as they do not have sepaprate boxes.)
Remember the old advertising slogan: "Keep your GM vehicle all GM!"

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:50 PM   #17
silicon212
Confoundingly Lucid

Send a message via ICQ to silicon212

I agree, AC Delco filters are in a league of their own. The only thing I like about the Fram filters is the grip surface, that doesn't mean anything when it comes to the longevity of your engine, which is usually an investment of a bit of money just by itself.

I use AC Delco with everything now. Don't waste your money on the "cheap stuff". remember the saying: "Fits, cheap, is good: pick any two".

Remember - a government that is strong enough to give you everything you need, is also strong enough to take everything you have.
silicon212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:51 AM   #18
dwalmop
AF Enthusiast

I've read Fram filters are junk, but years back, used them anyway. I now KNOW that they're junk. One of them collapsed on me and ruined the cylinder head on my engine for the car I had at the time. What a piece of S**t. Needless to say, I use AC now.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo