Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
chadsosne
AF Newbie

Intake Manifold Gasket 2000 Malibu LS

I am replacing my Manifold gasket and was quoted a price of 66.51 for the set ( probably not the upgraded version) and was told I needed to buy new bolts. Does anyone know if this is nessasary or if they are just trying to scam me into paying 40 more dollars?
chadsosne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: Intake Manifold Gasket 2000 Malibu LS

That sounds about right for the price of the gasket set. GM recommends replacing the bolts with new ones. The new ones have pre-applied threadlocker, so there is no need for you to add any more. I replace the ones on the jobs I have done and to this date have had no problems. I look at it as a cheap insurance policy to do the job right the first time, or else you'll have to pay twice to re-do the job. There is also a revised torquing sequence that should be followed to ensure the job is done properly.According to a copy I have of the new torque sequence and values you tighten the four vertical (inner) bolts to 62 in.-lbs. Follow that up by tightening the four diagonal (outer) bolts to the same 62 in.-lbs. Now go back to the vertical bolts and torque them to 115 in.-lbs. Complete the tightening sequence by torquing the diagonal bolts to 18 ft.-lbs. GM cautions that
if you don't use the new torque specs in the exact sequence indicated, you run the risk of the gaskets not sealing properly and a possibility that it could leak sometime in the future.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
wafrederick
Banned

Re: Intake Manifold Gasket 2000 Malibu LS

DO NOT TORQUE THE INTAKE BOLTS!All I hear are problems,they leak and most people overtorque them.I know one auto parts store,a Carquest parts store that has heard about this after customers tell about it.Run them down slowly with a 3/8" impact and tighten them by hand.I have done them this way with no comebacks.Make sure you put the pushrods in the right spots or you will bend the valves.The pushrods are differant lengths,some are long and some are short.Another failure of the intake gaskets not sealing is people do not clean the gasket surface very well,the gasket surfaces have to be clean.I use an air powered die grinder with a stainless steel cup brush to clean the gasket surfaces and the stainless steel cup brush does not hurt the gasket surface.Wear ear protection and safety glasses when doing this.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu