Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 08:02 PM   #1
jeffmorris
AF Regular

How electric cars should be designed

Right now, electric cars are suitable for driving within a city, not for driving from one city to other. I thought that people who buy electric cars charge them at home. Public charging stations don't give cars full amount of electricity. For example, a public charging station says it can charge 150 AMPS but it really charges 100 AMPS. Chrysler Corp will make a new pickup truck that will have its engine running a generator that will run electric motors, much like diesel-electric locomotives. I'm not sure if the batteries will run the motors when the engine is shut down. Electric cars should be designed so that the engine charges the batteries so that cars can run on batteries within the city and if the car senses that it's running low on battery power, its engine can start and charge the batteries.
jeffmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:07 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: How electric cars should be designed

I believe that's a description which loosely fits the "hybrid" power system which has been available for quite some time, but with an important distinction which I have considered for a couple of decades.

The problem I see is that the auto companies are reluctant to diverge away from the central power plant and mechanical transmission of power to the wheels. It's evidently difficult for SAE to let go of Ransom Eli Olds' 1896 concept.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical