Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Exterior | bodykits | Lighting
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Exterior | bodykits | Lighting When your ready to showoff that 'H' ride, here's your forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 03:11 AM   #1
Silverbolt
Exterior Guy

Send a message via AIM to Silverbolt
***H3 bulbs work in an H4 housing???***

Heres the deal... I'm selling my civic (click the link in my sig below for info ). I'm taking out my H3 HID kit from it and transfering it over to my G35 which I'll be buying in aprox 12 hours from now. The G35's fog/high beam is an H4 halogen bulb. Could I ghetto rig an H3 bulb to work in the H4 housing so that the light spread isnt crazy and out of wack. My concern is that the H3 is a shorter bulb, so I'm going to have to customize the housing to allow the H3 bulb to sit deeper in. Also the H4 bulb has a little cap that hovers over the filament... will the H3 bulb not having this make a difference? What are your thoughts

BTW, if anyone is interested, or know anyone that wants to buy my car... shoot me an email

"The only stupid question, is the question not asked."
Silverbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:14 PM   #2
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Hmm..I can think of how this could work off the top of my head, though if I come up with anything I'll let you know. The H3 is shorter, has a different base, uses the metal base as a ground...quiet a few differences.

Also, without the cap, the light will likely reflect differently and all wrong. You may want to consider custom making a cap, and how knows if it will work.
I also noticed you where thinking of getting Projecotrs retro'd in. I'd figureout if you are doing that before attempting any massive customization like above.

I thought you were planning to get some H3 fog lights for the G35 and run the H3 HID's with those?

I have H3 lights....you could always give the H3 HID kit to me They'd find a good home in my projectors...on the road and at shows

It's just that easy folks... mind the forum guidelines and we're cool.
Empty Pockets Racing Member #6
EPR Member 4 Life
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:56 PM   #3
Silverbolt
Exterior Guy

Re: ***H3 bulbs work in an H4 housing???***

sorry.. I'm in a hurry, and I'm going to have to make this short...

The G35 has H4 (fog/high beam). The H3 hid doesnt use the base as a ground, it has its own wiring. I was planning on knocking off the base of an H4 bulb, and using that as a mount for the H3 HID bulb... to also set it deeper inside as well. I would also need to put a metal reflector above it to cup the lighting and reflect it down. I didnt go through with this... I just ended up buying an H4 HID bulb and used my HID H3 kit. I still have my H3 HID bulbs if you want to buy them. They're still VERY new... I'm pretty sure you know around the time I bought them. Probably just around 6 months ago.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:42 AM   #4
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Re: Re: ***H3 bulbs work in an H4 housing???***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbolt
sorry.. I'm in a hurry, and I'm going to have to make this short...

The G35 has H4 (fog/high beam). The H3 hid doesnt use the base as a ground, it has its own wiring. I was planning on knocking off the base of an H4 bulb, and using that as a mount for the H3 HID bulb... to also set it deeper inside as well. I would also need to put a metal reflector above it to cup the lighting and reflect it down. I didnt go through with this... I just ended up buying an H4 HID bulb and used my HID H3 kit. I still have my H3 HID bulbs if you want to buy them. They're still VERY new... I'm pretty sure you know around the time I bought them. Probably just around 6 months ago.
Hmm, how much you want for the bulbs? They were like REALLY high in the kelvin scale, right? Any issues with crappy light output as a result? Well...it's nice to see you got the HID thing figured out. So the G35 had HID lows and halogen fogs/highs, and you bought H4 bulbs to use with the HID kit so you have HID fogs and highs? You think like me

I know you got the kit around....1/2 a year ago was it? Also, you know of a place I could find a ballast/ignitor to hook them up to? I am guessing any ballast/ignitor will work, or does it have to be extronic (or however you spell it). I know I plan on running any HID kit I get off of relays...lows and highs...so I can have HID's and keep my high beams on with the low beams.

EPR Member 4 Life
Old 09-13-2005, 06:53 AM   #5
Silverbolt
Exterior Guy

Re: Re: Re: ***H3 bulbs work in an H4 housing???***

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoman_pdx
Hmm, how much you want for the bulbs? They were like REALLY high in the kelvin scale, right? Any issues with crappy light output as a result? Well...it's nice to see you got the HID thing figured out. So the G35 had HID lows and halogen fogs/highs, and you bought H4 bulbs to use with the HID kit so you have HID fogs and highs? You think like me

I know you got the kit around....1/2 a year ago was it? Also, you know of a place I could find a ballast/ignitor to hook them up to? I am guessing any ballast/ignitor will work, or does it have to be extronic (or however you spell it). I know I plan on running any HID kit I get off of relays...lows and highs...so I can have HID's and keep my high beams on with the low beams.
Yup, H4 HID bulbs, with my civic's HID kit Actually, I dont have my highs anymore since I didnt get a bixenon H4. I never really needed my high beams anyways... and especially now that I have dual HIDs

You can use any HID kit. I might be able to hook you up for a good price on the Xetronic kit... or it might be more worth it to fish out a ballast/ignitor out of the junk yard. The plugs wont match, but you can just cut them off and connect your own plugs, or just connect the bare wires together. As for selling my bulbs, I really dont know how much to sell them for. Starting negotiations at... $100?

Old 09-13-2005, 07:14 AM   #6
Silverbolt
Exterior Guy

Oh, and the lighting is decent. Out of my crappy halogen projectors, I would say the lighting is slightly better than normal Halogen, but not as good as stock HID cars. The lighting is somewhere in the middle. I think alot of the lighting is lost because of the civic's projectors. In my G35, the same temp bulb from the same company has a much better "output" or light spread. I think its because the relfector housing on my G35 was meant for HIDs, so the light spread is more efficient than the aftermarket halogen projectors on my civic. Also, the projectors on my civic are very focused compared to HID projectors. So what I did was raise the lights so it has the same cut off as other HID projectors, but when I did that, most of the light just hovered above the ground and into the back bumpers of the cars ahead of me... instead of hitting the ground. When I had them orgially posstioned lower to the ground ahead, it was alot better. I rememember driving by halogen cars and completely overpowering their lighting on the streets. Even though they were in a lane next to me, my light spread would shine over just enough to cover thiers, and make it seem like they didnt have any lights on at all! haha!

Old 09-13-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Hmm...that's $50 a bulb. Decent negotiation starting price. Let me see a pic of the bulbs so I can try to find a connector I could splcie on it if I got a ballast and ignitor from a junkyard. Any junkyard ballast and ingitor will work, as long as I splice on the proper plugs and power it with a relay? I could still power those though a relay, so it would be fine there. I'd rather splice on a new connector than just splice the wires toghter. I don't want em attack premantly like that. This way it'll be easier to replace them if I ever need to do that or decide to change color temps, etc.

What kind of deal can you get me on an Xetronic kit? I can always run those off relays too (which I'm temped to do) if I don't wanna "plug and play."

Hmm...maybe I could get the bulbs and an Xetronic kit, and then a junkyard ignitor and ballast, and run it with relays. I can hook up the relays so it'll power the low and hid beams, and keep al 4 on for the high beams. That sounds intreging. Then I'd have low and high beam HIDs. Now to start looking for a good deal on a ballast and ignitor, hahaha. if you have a good place to point me that'll save me time for this let me know.

Let me know about the Xetronic kit too.

EPR Member 4 Life
Old 09-14-2005, 12:26 AM   #8
Silverbolt
Exterior Guy

I'll take pics tomorrow of the bulb and it's wires/plugs. Let me know exactly what you want... as far as ballast/igniters... and I'll see what I can do. The xetronic ballast/igniter works fine, and is easy to install... but what i notcied is that it makes a slightly lowerder whiney noise as it warms up than a normal OEM HID setup. It also whines for a couple seconds loger than the OEM HID setup.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:47 AM   #9
Silverbolt
Exterior Guy

I just took them out and snapped a couple pictures. It looks like they had those heat shrink wire cover thingys at the base of the bulb, but they shrunk too much from the heat of the HIDs. I tore one off of one, and left the other one on. As long as theres no water in your housing, I'm sure it'll work fine with out them. Originally, Xetronic advertised they're kit as being completely water proof. They would light up the kit, and drop it into a fish tank with live fish! I guess that heat shrink wire cover was to help keep it water proof.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:56 AM   #10
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Hmm, I'd need to figure out where to get the connectors. As far as ballasts/ignitors, I'm looking for something good, not low end they will break, etc. I suppose less whine is a good thing. I just need to make sure what I get will all hook up, so if I get an OEM one I'll need to make sure I get the right connectors with it.

As far as what I am looking for, I want ballasts ignitors that are good, reliable and not low end junk. A whine icould beannoying, is it very audable from inside the car? How big are the ballasts/ignitors. If I get OEM ones, I could power them off relays, but I'dd need the right connectors for the bulbs. As far as what OEM ones I would want, I have no clue? Any ideas, haow do different ones compare? The Xetronic might work too, I don't know. I suppose price could be a factor, depending on what the cost is and what the benifits are of each.

Are those regular insulated male/female connectors? It's hard to tell in the pictures. The oem set-up for the ballasts ignitors sounds like it mught be a more reliable set-up, though it'd be a little more work to run it off relays (though not too hard). Also, I don't want to hardwire splice the bulbs to the ballast/ignitor, as I said, so I'd want to splice on the right connectors. As far as the Xetronic, it would hook up to the bulbs in a snap. Don't know how reliable compared to the OEM setup they are. I'd be temped to run those off a relay too to so I could keep the high beams and lows beams on at the same time still.

I don't know if this helps at all, lol. Any thoughts are welcome. Let me know what you find, prices...etc too.

EPR Member 4 Life

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Exterior | bodykits | Lighting