Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: WRX= Twin Turbo?
Yes 7 6.60%
No 99 93.40%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 04:40 AM   #46
Deakins
AF Enthusiast

When did I say the Vortech charger was a turbocharger?
Old 11-01-2002, 05:00 AM   #47
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hybridsol
supercharger's have three types- roots, centrifugal, twin-screw
Roots are positive displacemente units, which means every rev of the blower pumps out a fixed volume of air, regardless of the blower's rpm. Result is that boost comes on early. Most application produce full boost at 2000-2500rpm. Boost can be altered by changing pulley size. Best to underdrive larger unit than to overdrive smaller one. Manufacturers of this product include B&M, Littlefield, Sebring. then you have Centrifugal the most popular type for fuel injected engines. this sys. Provides airflow proportional to blower rpm, thus full boost comes as high rpm. Manufacturers include Accessible Technologies, B&M, Nelson, Paxton, (Vortech) next we have twin-screw positive displacement, similar to roots. the differences are it uses twin screws instead of lobed rotos to compress air, works best when overdriven. Sample of those are Whipple Industries. (Lysholm screw Supercharger) a Lysholm supercharger looks similar to a helical Roots blower, but with rotors that are far more twisted, and have a conical taper. The result is that these "screw-type" compressors have an internal compression ratio, making them more efficient in high-boot applications.
One disadvantage of this internal compression ratio is higher parasitic losses during off-boost operation (and engine strain).
hybridsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 05:03 AM   #48
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Deakins
turbocharger.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:05 AM   #49
Deakins
AF Enthusiast

You still didn't answer my question
Old 11-01-2002, 05:08 AM   #50
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
You still didn't answer my question
contrary to what you believe there is a difference between super and turbo, and is conical a word, I can't think of a different way to say it?
Old 11-01-2002, 05:10 AM   #51
Deakins
AF Enthusiast

I said the Vortech charger is basically a belt driven turbocharger, not a turbocharger.
And I must say I admire your copy&pase skills, you rock!
Old 11-01-2002, 05:19 AM   #52
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I said the Vortech charger is basically a belt driven turbocharger, not a turbocharger.
And I must say I admire your copy&pase skills, you rock!
where did I copy paste from? you said they were a belt driven turbocharger. I was just pointing out chris's point that anything belt driven is a supercharger not a turbocharger. super and turbo....different. One use exaust gasses one use belt............
Old 11-01-2002, 05:38 AM   #53
SkunkSI
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SkunkSI
Its a single turbo, and deakins learn the diffrence between a supercharger and a turbocharger. they are NOT the same, the only thing that is the same is that they both spool a turbine.
thermal r&d exhaust cat back
skunk2 mCLV
SkunkSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 05:41 AM   #54
Deakins
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
So you are suggesting having a belt attached to the turbo's turbine. This is a Lysholm type supercharger (no exhaust gas, tho)
Quote:

Lysholms are "screw compressors", the Vortech chargers are basically a belt driven turbocharger.
Quote:
Originally posted by hybridsol

anything belt driven is a supercharger. Turbo's use exaust gases. supercharger's have no lag time but in turn draw engine power from the vehicle. besides a turbo that small has like no lag anyway.
What did Chris say?

And you are a mechanical engineering major.

http://www.miata.net/garage/turbos.html
"3 basic styles: roots, centrifugal, twin-screw

Roots: positive displacemente units, which means every rev of the blower pumps out a fixed volume of air, regardless of the blower's rpm. Result is that boost comes on early. Most application produce full boost at 2000-2500rpm. Boost can be altered by changing pulley size. Best to underdrive larger unit than to overdrive smaller one. Manufacturers include B&M, Littlefield, Sebring.
Centrifugal: Most popular type for fuel injected engines. Provides airflow proportional to blower rpm, thus full boost comes as high rpm. Manufacturers include Accessible Technologies, B&M, Nelson, Paxton, Vortech.
Twin-screw: positive displacement, similar to roots. differences: uses twin screws instead of lobed rotos to compress air, works best when overdriven. Sample manufacturer: Whipple Industries."

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0107scc_garage/
"The Lysholm supercharger looks similar to a helical Roots blower, but with rotors that are far more twisted, and have a conical taper. The result is that these "screw-type" compressors have an internal compression ratio, making them more efficient in high-boot applications.

One disadvantage of this internal compression ratio is higher parasitic losses during off-boost operation."
Old 11-01-2002, 05:41 AM   #55
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by SkunkSI
Its a single turbo, and deakins learn the diffrence between a supercharger and a turbocharger. they are NOT the same, the only thing that is the same is that they both spool a turbine.
alright lets not start flaming, deakins everyone is entitled to there opinion i'll respect yours.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:44 AM   #56
Deakins
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by SkunkSI
deakins learn the diffrence between a supercharger and a turbocharger. they are NOT the same, the only thing that is the same is that they both spool a turbine.
No they don't. The Vortech charger is the only supercharger with a turbine. Just like I said, and Chris meant to say.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:51 AM   #57
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

What did Chris say?

And you are a mechanical engineering major.

http://www.miata.net/garage/turbos.html
"3 basic styles: roots, centrifugal, twin-screw

Roots: positive displacemente units, which means every rev of the blower pumps out a fixed volume of air, regardless of the blower's rpm. Result is that boost comes on early. Most application produce full boost at 2000-2500rpm. Boost can be altered by changing pulley size. Best to underdrive larger unit than to overdrive smaller one. Manufacturers include B&M, Littlefield, Sebring.
Centrifugal: Most popular type for fuel injected engines. Provides airflow proportional to blower rpm, thus full boost comes as high rpm. Manufacturers include Accessible Technologies, B&M, Nelson, Paxton, Vortech.
Twin-screw: positive displacement, similar to roots. differences: uses twin screws instead of lobed rotos to compress air, works best when overdriven. Sample manufacturer: Whipple Industries."

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0107scc_garage/
"The Lysholm supercharger looks similar to a helical Roots blower, but with rotors that are far more twisted, and have a conical taper. The result is that these "screw-type" compressors have an internal compression ratio, making them more efficient in high-boot applications.

One disadvantage of this internal compression ratio is higher parasitic losses during off-boost operation."
ok thats only half of what I said.....I was going to let it go but you just have proven me right.. I got my info from an induction chapter in my c-215 book written by bell a chapter intitled forced induction pg 78 paragraph 2 check it. and yes I am a mechanical engineer. what do you do?
Old 11-01-2002, 05:57 AM   #58
Inertia
AF Newbie

Quote:

No they don't. The Vortech charger is the only supercharger with a turbine. Just like I said, and Chris meant to say.
they all use turbines how else would the air be forced, wether it be a series or just one that air compressor is a turbine, also if being forced in means of compression like a piston movement.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 06:14 AM   #59
Deakins
AF Enthusiast

omg! A Berkeley professor saying all superchargers have turbines?
Old 11-01-2002, 06:26 AM   #60
Deakins
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by hybridsol

ok thats only half of what I said.....I was going to let it go but you just have proven me right.. I got my info from an induction chapter in my c-215 book written by bell a chapter intitled forced induction pg 78 paragraph 2 check it. and yes I am a mechanical engineer. what do you do?
So you copied of a book and not a site, good for you.