Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 05:39 PM   #1
intimidator2000
AF Newbie

Subaru Sti Reliability

What is the reliablity of the Subaru Sti and the Subaru engines and tranny.
intimidator2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:08 PM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

Excellent in my opinion.

I have a 1998 2.5RS and have yet to have any problems with the transmission.

I think with the STI you will only be getting better quality, I certainly have no complaints about my Impreza's reliability.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:36 PM   #3
intimidator2000
AF Newbie

How about the engine on your 1998 2.5RS.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:59 AM   #4
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:
Originally posted by intimidator2000
How about the engine on your 1998 2.5RS.
No problems whatsoever.....runs fine.....just follow the maintainance schedule.....
Old 06-08-2003, 05:48 PM   #5
Trizzle
AF Newbie

For what it's worth... I've test driven 2 WRXs and one 2.5RS, all were used except for one of the WRXs. In both of the used cars i drove the tranny often grinded when going into first gear, even with the clutch fully depressed. I've read about a fair amount of people having problems with WRX trannies, some with big HP modded engines, some with few or no mods.

So overall i'm not sure what to think. I haven't heard much if anything about engine troubles on stock subies, but tranny problems are certainly not unheard of. That said, I don't think i'd be too worried about it unless you plan to run major horsepower. I think I'm still going to buy a 2.5RS.
Trizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 05:19 AM   #6
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
If ou are buying used- ALWAYS check the clutch- make sure it isn't worn- as most Impreza WRX owners tend to like to well errr......Wear thiers out The STi is a reliable machine though- I haven't heard of anyone complain about the reliability in one

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:15 AM   #7
intimidator2000
AF Newbie

The Wrx clutch that are worn is it worn out because the way people drive it or is it a problem with the Subaru makes the clutch.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:43 AM   #8
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Quote:
The Wrx clutch that are worn is it worn out because the way people drive it or is it a problem with the Subaru makes the clutch.

Not Subarus fault- just the way some people drive them- It's a pretty good clutch though

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:05 AM   #9
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:
You can only design for so much, standard shifting won't cause undue wear but dragging the clutch or riding it excessively will cause it to wear more.....
I think the worst part of the problem is something my local Subaru dealer mentioned to me, most people in the USA buying a WRX for the first time are also driving stick-shift for the first time.....
Old 06-13-2003, 01:49 AM   #10
intimidator2000
AF Newbie

I have hearing alot of people talking about having problems with the Subaru transmission but I guess its the way people drive it.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:09 AM   #11
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:
I have hearing alot of people talking about having problems with the Subaru transmission but I guess its the way people drive it.
Personally I haven't heard of any, and I know a lot of people with Subaru's.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:34 PM   #12
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
Quote:
Originally posted by Trizzle
For what it's worth... I've test driven 2 WRXs and one 2.5RS, all were used except for one of the WRXs. In both of the used cars i drove the tranny often grinded when going into first gear, even with the clutch fully depressed.
When you get used to the car, it won't do that anymore. You have to:
a. give the synchros time to catch up for 1st gear (takes a while, the transmission was designed in the late 70's IIRC!) or
b. rev match before you shift.
I rev match mine and I can shift into 1st at any reasonable speed and not grind. It gets to the point where you just learn to do it, and it just becomes part of driving you don't even think about, like hitting the clutch when you stop or turning the wheel left when you want to go left.

People who drive the car right don't have any more problems with the transmission than any other car. People who drive EVO's, eclipse gSX's, 3000gt VR4's, or any other AWD car too rough have the same problems the rough-driving WRX owners do.

And the STi's 6 speed is known to be pretty much bullitproof. It was designed by Porsche, and Porsche knows how to build a high performance transmission.
LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:45 AM   #13
intimidator2000
AF Newbie

Is there a difference between driving a two wheel drive and a 4 wheel drive car with manual transmission.

The other newer manual transmission cars will not have a problem with give the synchros time to catch up for 1st gear (takes a while, the transmission was designed in the late 70's IIRC!).
Old 06-20-2003, 02:04 PM   #14
NSX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to NSX Send a message via AIM to NSX Send a message via MSN to NSX Send a message via Yahoo to NSX
Quote:
Originally posted by ldelaysionl

b. rev match before you shift.
I rev match mine and I can shift into 1st at any reasonable speed and not grind. It gets to the point where you just learn to do it, and it just becomes part of driving you don't even think about, like hitting the clutch when you stop or turning the wheel left when you want to go left.
What do you rev up to before shifting?

NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 04:05 PM   #15
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
When you hit the clutch to shift, blip the gas up to match whatever it will rise to after you shift. For example if when you downshift into 1st and let off the gas, it'll rise to 4000rpm, then just rev it to 4000 before you shift and it'll go in gear easily. Takes some getting used to to be able to rev it the right amount, but after a while you won't even think about it.

Quote:
Is there a difference between driving a two wheel drive and a 4 wheel drive car with manual transmission.
Mainly the tires won't spin. In a 2wd, if you launch it hard, excess force is distributed through the spinning tires. In AWD, if the tires don't spin that force is dropped on the gears, which can break them. You just have to not be rough on it, like revving it up and dropping the clutch, or dropping the clutch violenlty when shifting, etc. Basically if you're doing something that feels rough and lurchy, not good.
LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport