Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Dirt Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 04:08 PM   #1
RSX
AF Enthusiast

Question so, what are the only things keeping a dirtbike from being street legal?

I know that one thing is the lack of lights and such, but what else is keeping dirtbikes off of the street.
RSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 12:30 PM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

Emissions probably come into it....
Old 05-28-2003, 12:37 PM   #3
RSX
AF Enthusiast

yeah, that's a valid reason. But I guess not enough people want street legal dirtbikes, because it could be easily changed. But hey, that's where supermotards come in, I guess. We could also mention dual-sport bikes, but I really don't like them (Performance is greatly taken down and they're structure is altered to the point they're just ugly and bigger). Well, thanx for your response (I wasn't really expecting one as this board is dead! )
Old 05-29-2003, 02:01 AM   #4
suzymatt
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to suzymatt
well i ride a street legal dirtbike everyday, its got lights, but they dont really get in the way off road, all i do is swap the road tires over 4 dirt tires wen im gonna do sum serious off road. (not as hard as it sounds since i just swap the wheels over), but other than that, me and a small number of others ride a dirtbike 2 uni each day, i think the main thing keepin a proper db off the road are the tires, they have 2 b within a certain range of road tires here in australia.

its a pity this board is so dead, i just dont think there are enough dirt bikers left
suzymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 09:34 PM   #5
94tegRS
AF Enthusiast

well, if new bikes werent the price of new cars im sure there would be more I want one, but id rather spend my money on a new CBR than a CR250.
-01 R1-04 daytona 600-94 teg RS-95 teg LS
-91 teg RS-92 teg GSR-94 civic CX hatch (3 times)
-94 civic DX-96 civic HX-97 Accord LX-72 superbeetle
-74 beetle-84 silverado-66 c10-74 maverick-78 280z
-84 200sx-86 tercel wagon-95 mustang V6
94tegRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:31 AM   #6
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

They need a headlight, a tail light, a brake light - and in some states blinkers to be considered street legal.

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
2strokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 03:31 PM   #7
RSX
AF Enthusiast

alright, thanx for the replies everyone! I'm surprised I got this many on this board, actually! lol
Old 11-20-2003, 06:38 PM   #8
lrd56
AF Newbie

legal dirt bikes

when i lived in california i made a tm400 race bike into a street legal bike i wired in a battery elimanator so i could run headlight taillight brakelight it was too old for turn signals that nobody sees i also had to put in a quieter baffle out of a ts400 enduro i also had to get a title from the state of california because my bike only came with a bill of sale that got lost somewhere and the dealer said it was too old to find in his records . i want another 73 tm400 or 73 ts400 if anybody has one please email me thank you
lrd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 05:04 PM   #9
TEXAS-HOTROD
AF Regular

There is a company that makes a lighting kit for off-road bikes for street legal use. It also incorporates a small ni-cad battery to retain tail light power for a certain amount of time to pass all state regs.
There is also a dual lighting coil option, in case you lose power from one coil, there is another for back up. Seems like it ran dual head lights too.
You still need legal tires and a rear view mirror.

Could you imagine blasting around town on a CR450-F
I rode my CR250 on the streets here where I live. Too bad city hall came up w/a police dept. and stopped all the fun.

---TEX---
TEXAS-HOTROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:16 PM   #10
YzfR1000
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to YzfR1000
to make it street legal

you need headlights, taillights, blinkers liscence plates, motorcycle liscence in the state of New Jersey to make it street legal. And if you want to be more safe with it change the tires to regular motorcycle tires because the dirt tires are used for grabbing the dirt thats why they have the big grooves otherwise the bike can get a little swirly while your drivin trust me i know i had a broken wrist to prove it.

Nick
YzfR1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:44 PM   #11
Blazr2
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Blazr2
Street leagal ATV's

I recently moved to Arizona from the Northeast and was quite suprised when I went to registered my ATV and the gal at the DMV asked me if I wanted to registered it to be street legal. Insurance, a rear view mirror and a horn is all I needed.
Blazr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 04:29 PM   #12
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: so, what are the only things keeping a dirtbike from being street legal?

Here in Ontario, a dirt bike just needs plates, insurance, head and tail lights, speedo (bicycle electronic speedo will do) and a horn. A sqeeze bulb type bicycle horn meets the letter of the law, but one of those little air horn things taped to the bars is much more effective. You do not even need turn signals or stoplight as hand signals will suffice. You can get away with knobbies, although they are a bit slippery on asphalt.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:25 PM   #13
mega man
AF Enthusiast

i would think there would be some noise restrictions because now markham ontario has restrictios in effect thta wont allow many aftermarket exhaust pipes on anything u drive on the road.

its good to know thers other people from ontario here magicrat
mega man is offline   Reply With Quote