Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Audi > TT
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 10:02 AM   #16
crayzayjay
CFA

Sorry, I dont buy your "dollar" excuse. No pun intended.

The TT will handle safer in rain, and that says it all. Safer handling. Not what a driver's car is all about. Im not trying to pick a fight with you, its just every opinion ive heard on the TT, and that's including my friend who has one (the 225), and these very many sources state that the TT is really not in the running, and everyone judges the Boxster (again another friend had one) is acclaimed to have phenomenal handling, and praise comes from people including Jeremy Clarkson, who hates Porsches for crying out loud!!!!
Old 01-14-2003, 10:53 AM   #17
quattroadvantage
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by crayzayjay
Sorry, I dont buy your "dollar" excuse. No pun intended.

The TT will handle safer in rain, and that says it all. Safer handling. Not what a driver's car is all about. Im not trying to pick a fight with you, its just every opinion ive heard on the TT, and that's including my friend who has one (the 225), and these very many sources state that the TT is really not in the running, and everyone judges the Boxster (again another friend had one) is acclaimed to have phenomenal handling, and praise comes from people including Jeremy Clarkson, who hates Porsches for crying out loud!!!!
Well, you dont have to take my advertisment reasoning, but its a very widley accepted opinion. As far as your opinion goes, its just that...and we can disagree on various points of each of our opinions. I still highly contend that the Boxter is no more better the the 225 TT then say a Piper is over a Cessna..They both are outstanding and perform very well..it all is just a matter of brand preference and itemized differences of preference, interior and styling vs badge and reputation. That is all it boild down to.

Besides all that, if you ever closely paid attention to the mag reviews, when the TT was first highly acclaimed by them in 99/00 they had nothing but praise to speak of, nowdays, they have this "who knows why" reasoning of comparing the entry level model (180) to everything under the sun..never doing comparisons against the 225. Seems a bit odd to me with there only explanation of doing this is "comparison by price, not relative performance."

And no, the TT will not just handle "safer in the rain". It also will outperform in the rain, snow, etc etc as well as the turns and twists..somthing that an AWD application greatly shines in, especialy one that is user programmable for front to rear power ratio.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:02 AM   #18
crayzayjay
CFA

i really dont think it has anything to do with brand preference, im basing my argument purely on ability, where i believe the Boster spanks the TT. The fact is ive never read an article / seen a review / heard from a friend anything not to that effect.

Because the TT has better grip on rain & snow it doesnt make it a better handler. Grip and handling are two very different things. Once grip becomes slip you'll find the Boxster is the far superior machine.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:54 AM   #19
quattroadvantage
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by crayzayjay
i really dont think it has anything to do with brand preference, im basing my argument purely on ability, where i believe the Boster spanks the TT. The fact is ive never read an article / seen a review / heard from a friend anything not to that effect.

Because the TT has better grip on rain & snow it doesnt make it a better handler. Grip and handling are two very different things. Once grip becomes slip you'll find the Boxster is the far superior machine.
Again, I will have to disagree with you, not based on written opinions, but on personal experience and observation. Ive been on several runs where there were some Boxters and Boxter S's and they stayed in the midst of the pack, never ahead, never leading. Both a testiment of handling, power and of course the biggest factor..driver ability.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:48 PM   #20
Deakins
AF Enthusiast

Well, not that I have anything agains the TT, it does a great job at what it is meant to do, look good. It is fast, probably faster than a regular Boxster, judging from the broad torque curve and 4wd. At least for unexperienced drivers.
But it's still based on the VAG a4 platform, along with the Golf(!). The Boxster shares a lot of components with the 996(!). The Boxster is probably a lot more fun to drive, and given the choice/money, I would buy the Boxster.

Last edited by Deakins; 05-18-2003 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:28 AM   #21
crayzayjay
CFA

Well said. Its nippier than the first, 2.5l, 205bhp Boxster in a straight line but i dont think it would sustain its advantage in the turns.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:38 PM   #22
mhpspeed
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to mhpspeed
(look at sig) I had the same opinion as you of this car being girly, but then I saw the new 3.2 in it, I would not be caght in ne other tt then the new 3.2

EDIT* I didnt realize how odl this thread was, sorry
Old 06-09-2003, 06:21 PM   #23
quattroadvantage
AF Newbie

Interesting that you'd prefer the 3.2 dsg model TT which will be close to imposible to Tune, comes only with a few HP over a stock 1.8t that any modded a.8t will easily ouperform the 3.2, although if the dsg works well,t hat will be some quick shifting.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:19 AM   #24
flomastr
AF Newbie

Re: New> Audi TT 3.2 quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzayjay
The Audi TT has just gained the R32 Golf's 3.2l V6 engine, which develops 250bhp. The transmission is completely new, a racing technology named DSG, which apparently combines all the benefits of a manual 6-speed box and an auto... how many times have we heard that about a semi-auto that goes on to severely disappoint?

i still have one bone to pick with TT's. theyre girls cars. ive only ever seen one driven hard, and that was yesterday, it shocked me completely... the car looked nice being caned relative to how i usually see it, i.e. cruising down the road at 20mph... even if this 250bhp version will be a genuinely good driver's car, it will be driven by the same people, i.e. women and ahem.... you know
crazyayjay:

you know, i let the comment about "the bmw m3 coming from 'racing heritage' [while the audi s4 did not]" slide by without comment...

...but 'women and ahem...you know '

the word you so eloquently implied is 'gay.' let's say it together...'gay'...that's good. you can also say 'homosexual.' these are normal words like 'turbo' and 'manifold' and 'tachometer' that we can all use without shame.

say what you mean. if you're ashamed to say it, then don't.

flomastr
Old 11-17-2003, 03:46 AM   #25
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: Re: New> Audi TT 3.2 quattro

1. It's called being politically correct and not wanting to offend people on the forum who own Audi TT's. So stop being a smartass and try it sometime

2. You should be aware of the AF user guidelines, which state that you must not revive any threads that are older than 3 months. You posted on the 11th month of the year when the previous post was on the sixth, let's count together now, 5 months. Thread closed.

If there's anything else you want to air, start a new one.