Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #16
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: Lawsuit against GM....DEXCOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtebeau
I just recently had to have the intake manifold gasket replaced in my impala @ 53k miles - cost me about $1400 to have all the work done. I don't think this is normal. I checked out the websites about dexcool, Any possibility this can be related to the dexcool issue? If you can send me an email with IMPALA as the subject as my email filtering software will allow it through.

Remove noreply- on the email account (this prevents web bots from picking up the email address in text searches and adding to spam lists)

Thanks,
Richard
noreply-rtebeau@yahoo.com
York, PA
My understanding of the matter, from what I've been reading concerning the Dex Cool problem is that the intake gasket leak is more of poor engine design/ improper gasket material choice. The gaskets were primarily plastic and degraded over time due to the hot/cold cycle of the engine. GM revised this gasket @ July 2002 and also has issued new intake bolts to be used. There have been reports of loose intake bolts and these new ones have have a threadlocker material on the threads. Even some aftermarket gasket makers have been incorporating metal in their gaskets for these engines. The Dex Cool issue has a lot to do with the product degrading in a shorter amount of time than was originally stated by GM. With it's problems of gelling and clogging up owner's engines, and losing it's protective characteristics. On a side note, GM has discontinued the 3.4 liter engine and is replacing it with a 3.5 in the Venture's replacement , the Uplander. I'm not sure if they will do the same for the Impala and other GM models at the same time, although IMO that would be a smart move. <--- GM owners with Dex Cool problems

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:05 AM   #17
rtebeau
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Lawsuit against GM....DEXCOOL

Well I opened a case with the Chevy assistance center on the matter. They stated they would call me back last Tuesday, but that never happened. I need to call them again. The repair bill for the intake was only $740 and change, I did notice bolts and material as you stated on the repair bill. The remainder of the bill was for 50k mile services, brakes, etc...

One thing I did not mention earlier was the observance of a black-like film on the inside of the cooling expansion tank before I took it into the dealer. Obviously dexcool has eaten away at the gaskets.

Now the big question - Will I continue to have problems now that my car has been contaminated? Maybe I am paranoid, but I hear more engine noise (lifters) when I start the car up. Seems to go away when it warms up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97ventureowner
My understanding of the matter, from what I've been reading concerning the Dex Cool problem is that the intake gasket leak is more of poor engine design/ improper gasket material choice. The gaskets were primarily plastic and degraded over time due to the hot/cold cycle of the engine. GM revised this gasket @ July 2002 and also has issued new intake bolts to be used. There have been reports of loose intake bolts and these new ones have have a threadlocker material on the threads. Even some aftermarket gasket makers have been incorporating metal in their gaskets for these engines. The Dex Cool issue has a lot to do with the product degrading in a shorter amount of time than was originally stated by GM. With it's problems of gelling and clogging up owner's engines, and losing it's protective characteristics. On a side note, GM has discontinued the 3.4 liter engine and is replacing it with a 3.5 in the Venture's replacement , the Uplander. I'm not sure if they will do the same for the Impala and other GM models at the same time, although IMO that would be a smart move. <--- GM owners with Dex Cool problems
rtebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:47 AM   #18
MoNsTeR`ImPaLa
AF Regular

ok i talked to the tech at the shop the other day there is a updated intake gasket out for the 3.4 its not DEXcool its the intake gasket they used in the 3.4
MoNsTeR`ImPaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:55 AM   #19
MoNsTeR`ImPaLa
AF Regular

They likely used the same gasket material in them engines regardless its a proplem with the gasket material not dexcool ....look at the DOHC 4.0 in the ford ranger and explorer they have the same problem i just talked to a guy lastweek with a 04 explorer with 4000 miles on it the engine is shot cause the intake casket blew out and antifreeze spewed into the intake and roasted the engine or the newerstyle SH owners who's DOHC engines needed the cam bearing sleves welded b4 there cam went and shattered there engines my neighbour wasnt lucky enough to catch his in time thats a 12000.00 engine oh well get to your local service dept and get the recall work done so you dont have any problems !! and dont pass off all the blame on DexCool till you have the facts this stuff happens everyday!
Old 03-09-2005, 11:31 AM   #20
MoNsTeR`ImPaLa
AF Regular

doode ummm im not relying on what one grease monkey said at all just saying that GM has put out a updated gasket and that this stuff happens everyday but i guess you do have a choice and the brand you use if your worried get a flush and use your own brand i understand that dexcool breaks down the gaskets and i think GM does as well but all the talk about a class action suit is going to go nowhere and if it did we wouldnt see it in our lifetimes
Old 03-17-2005, 11:55 PM   #21
rtebeau
AF Newbie

GM sort of pulled through on my Intake problem. After a few letters, faxes and a couple phone calls. I received a telephone call the other day from the GM customer assistance center and they are willing to reimburse 50% of the repair (or about $400), which is better than nothing and puts some form of renewed faith in me. The rep I talked to was very calm and polite, she explained even though the vehicle was out of warranty (50k) they were going to help out in the interest of providing customer service. I am sure this forgoes my claim for any class action lawsuit but at least GM is doing something for me. There is a TSB out on the gasket design.

2002 Impala, 3.4L
3/18/05 @ 56k miles
9 registered trips to 4 dealers in Central PA - still looking for a good one!!

1. Intake gasket @ 52k - thanks Dexcool, $800+
2. Brakes @ ~10k, 15k, 25k, 40k, 50k - warping rotors - $250-350/each time. - had problems all the time, finally the rears were done this last time seems to have fixed the shimmy/vibration when braking lightly at high speeds, I am sure it will return. Front rotors have been turned 3 times now, replacement next.
3. Rear Doors hard to open - still an issue, someone suggested lubing the door seals. Seems the handles are hard to grab.
4. Intermediate Steering Shaft (ISS) - $220 (twice)
5. I had to replace some steering boots - had clunking in wheel when turning at low speed (driveways, stop and turns). Felt like loose brake caliper or popping cv joint.
6. Ignition switch @ 11k
7. And other parts I am sure I missed.

I have not had the “transmission” issues yet and the car seems to have enough power for me, which will be about the time I start looking for a new car. I don’t think it will be a GM.

Pros
- I do like the ride, very comfortable
- Cool styling

Cons
- Repairs, Repairs and more repairs.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:59 PM   #22
rtebeau
AF Newbie

One of the reasons I purchased this car (besides the ride) was because I read an article about how the new design and manufacturing could theortically get 400k miles out of the car. I would have been happy to get about 100k w/out any major problems. I fear other cooling system parts will end up going from contaimination. Right now I have a new (redesigned) intake gasket and dexcool running. I don't know if I should remove it or keep dexcool in ~ any suggestions?
Old 03-18-2005, 02:29 PM   #23
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

I am keeping my DexCool in my engine and religiously flushing and refilling it every 2 years. I also am keeping an eye on the overflow tank so that the level stays where it is supposed to stay. I had my intake replaced back in the summer of '02 and still everything is all right<knocking on wood as I say this> I think with the new gaskets and bolts with sealant should take care of the problem

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #24
JohnT396
AF Newbie

Problems with DexCool

First of all, I am new to this forum and I think it's fantastic. I have been working on my own cars since '70 and there is a wealth of knowledge on these boards.
My vote is against DEXCOOL. Having to replace the intake manifold gasket at about 65K miles, I changed the coolant to "green". 30K muiles later, I have no problems. I hate the fact that we must pay for poor manufacturing or mis-guidance by the car companies.
My new problems are the "clink" in the steering and the constant AirBag light being on. Suggestions?
JohnT396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #25
JohnT396
AF Newbie

Problems with DexCool

First of all, I am new to this forum and I think it's fantastic. I have been working on my own cars since '70 and there is a wealth of knowledge on these boards.
My vote is against DEXCOOL. Having to replace the intake manifold gasket at about 65K miles, I changed the coolant to "green". 30K miles later, I have no problems. I hate the fact that we must pay for poor manufacturing or mis-guidance by the car companies.
My new problems are the "clunk" in the steering and the constant AirBag light being on. Suggestions?
JohnT396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:46 PM   #26
MCO_Death
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MCO_Death Send a message via MSN to MCO_Death Send a message via Yahoo to MCO_Death
Re: Problems with DexCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT396
My vote is against DEXCOOL. Having to replace the intake manifold gasket at about 65K miles, I changed the coolant to "green". 30K miles later, I have no problems. I hate the fact that we must pay for poor manufacturing or mis-guidance by the car companies.
My new problems are the "clunk" in the steering and the constant AirBag light being on. Suggestions?
Intermediate Steering Shaft, there was a recal on the issue. Airbag light is likely a bad sensor.

I also went to the green stuff, problem is a majority of car owners just don't give a damn about their rides, they think of them as disposable like everything else in the world, sad really.
MCO_Death is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS