Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Members Projects
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Members Projects Discussion of the AF 2G DSM Project Car
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:46 AM   #196
JoeShmoe
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JoeShmoe
Re: SilvrEclipse's Motor Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrEclipse
Just got ignition control working today. Still trying to get the studderbox function working. I still need to do some more tuning and advance the timing some more. So in a few weeks maybe I will get it on a real dyno. Im more concerned with getting it to the track. Once I get the studderbox working and setup traction control I will hopefully be out to the track. Looking to push this car into the 12s once I upgrade the turbo. I would like to run mid 13s on the setup now so we will see.
Nice! Thats as much as an evo 9 at the wheels! But its just an assumption, lol. Cool jay, sounds like the engine is really working nice for you. When can we expecting video?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #197
vanilla gorilla
AF Enthusiast

Isnt studderbox pointless on FWD?
Whenever I race, I leave basically on idle, give it just enough gas to keep it from choking off.

'99 Spyder 2.4 5-speed - Red/black,14b,slow
'96 Eclipse GST 5-speed - Paint
www.myspace.com/ballsoutperformance
vanilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:23 AM   #198
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla gorilla
Isnt studderbox pointless on FWD?
Whenever I race, I leave basically on idle, give it just enough gas to keep it from choking off.
No, you just don't set it as high as a AWD would. When launching FWD, it's still ideal to rev up to a certain rpm and gradually let off the clutch. I usually rev it to 3500 or so. The let off the clutch as soon as she fully grabs. Studderbox would let me keep it at 3500 without having to push pedal x% down. I would buy one.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #199
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

The studderbox really isin't needed but since MS has the option I figured I would try it out and see if it improves my launches any. Im just going to set it around 2.5k or so and see if I can feather the clutch out without spinning to much. But with the studderbox going Ill be able to build some boost so hopefully the motor wont bog off the line.

Ill try to get a video up pretty soon. My camera takes shitty ones so Ill have to borrow one.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #200
steviek
AF Enthusiast

will you be posting up the video here or in the video section>?
FP 18g turbo e3 o2 & mani, 3" exhaust, , 7 bolt, wiseco/eagle, walbro 255hp re-wired, Aeromotive FPR, FIC 1150cc, injen intake, greddy RS, aem wideband, turbo xs mbc, act 2600 clutch sprung 6 puck, BC 272's, dsmlink v2.5, ETS FMIC, Devils Own, JMF SMIM.
18 Inch chrome rims
In closet AEM Fuel Rail, SS Lines,
1997 TSI AWD
Diamonds Are 4Ever
12.7 @ 107
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...y/DSC00461.jpg
steviek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #201
vanilla gorilla
AF Enthusiast

OK I get what y'all are saying.

How does the traction control feature work?

Old 08-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #202
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviek
will you be posting up the video here or in the video section>?
Ill put it up in the video section and put a link in this thread.

The traction control is going to work off rpms/sec. It can also work off the mph/sec but I didn't want to tap into my speed sensor. If the rpms raise 3k/sec then MS will start to richen the fuel and pull ignition timing to try and slow the motor down. This may not be the absolute best way but when you spin bad I have hit 4k/sec pretty easy so limiting the car at 3k/s may still be spinning the tires some but it wont be just burning them bad. Its just suppose to help reduce wheel spin, you cant just floor it in 1st and expect MS to control the wheel spin.

The only problem with this is that when in neutral if the rpms go over that limit it will try and slow the motor down. It doesn't know when your spinning or free reving so this is really only good if you plan on racing. I may be able to hook up a switch to cut it on and off when I need it.

MS really is an awesome ECU and is capable of so much its rediculous. Its a little hard and aggrivating at first but well worth it once the car is running good.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 08-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #203
steviek
AF Enthusiast

Yea I have a buddy running mega squirt and he likes it. Heard nothing but good things
FP 18g turbo e3 o2 & mani, 3" exhaust, , 7 bolt, wiseco/eagle, walbro 255hp re-wired, Aeromotive FPR, FIC 1150cc, injen intake, greddy RS, aem wideband, turbo xs mbc, act 2600 clutch sprung 6 puck, BC 272's, dsmlink v2.5, ETS FMIC, Devils Own, JMF SMIM.
18 Inch chrome rims
In closet AEM Fuel Rail, SS Lines,
1997 TSI AWD
Diamonds Are 4Ever
12.7 @ 107
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...y/DSC00461.jpg
steviek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #204
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Little update. Car is still running great. New tires are coming in today and should be installed today also. Got the studderbox working with the stock clutch switch. Launches seem to be more consistant but it will spin very easy off the line. Traction control does not seem to be working out to well. Like I said earlier it will kick in when free reving also which makes the car cut out some just taking off at a light easy. If I could get it work off the VSS then it would be better. Ill mess with it some more today to see if I can set it to only kick on above 4k or so.

Noticed this the other day when my buddy was behind me. When pulling any gear hard when you change to the next one a big flame will shoot out the exhaust. Some days it will do it and others it wont so not real sure whats going on there. Car is running good though so I guess there is no problem. Im just thinking its loading up on fuel when I let off.

Planning on going to the track this wednesday if I dont get rained out. Hoping to see 13s. Im pretty sure the car is capable but my driving Im not so sure about. Going to turn the boost up to 18psi or so and tune the ignition a little on the safe side so I know it wont knock. I will let yall know how it runs.

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #205
vanilla gorilla
AF Enthusiast

Sweet dude, let us know how it runs. Gah, I wish I had the paper to build my 6 bolt.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #206
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Well sorry to dissapoint but the track is not going to happen. Going to fix the stripped exhaust stud and its going to get rained out. Plus the car seems to be running slow. May be from the exhaust leak not real sure. I will get some numbers for you guys soon.

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 09-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #207
JoeShmoe
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JoeShmoe

Ateaser vid at least Jay?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #208
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

When I get the car fixed I will borrow a camera and get something for you guys. I was going to get one this weekend but the camera was dead.

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 09-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #209
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Update: The 420a is no longer boosted. The compressor turbine has started hitting the housing so Im pulling off the intercooler pipes and just running a filter to the motor. The turbo must be way off balence with the exhaust wheel damaged.

I have been trying to get in touch in my friend about the 16g but no luck yet. Maybe I will here from him today or tomorrow. Hopefully the car will be boosting again in 2 weeks or so.

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 09-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #210
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Just got some great new guys. My dad is going to be picking up my turbo from the guy tomorrow and I am meeting him tomorrow night to get it along with the blitz bov he gave me.

Turbo is a small 16g that has been ported and clipped. Not sure how many miles are on it but I doubt to many. I think I remember seeing his car smoke a little out the exhaust around idle so I hope it wasn't the turbo leaking oil. Im getting it for 100$ with the bov so its to good of a deal to pass up. And Im in a bind with mine right now so I dont have much of a choice. Worst happens I have to rebuild it in which I will still have less money in it than any used one. Also this is a guy that works with my dad and is a pretty good friend of mine so he not trying to screw me and sell me a junk turbo.

Should have it installed on Monday. Going to crank the boost up to 20psi and tune it there.

O yea I will try and get some videos next week when Im tuning the car.

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Members Projects