Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
KX2000GTP
AF Regular

Trasnmission Leak

Hey guys, I have a significant leak my transmission on a 2000GTP. I've managed to follow it to the feed line on both ends. One end is the fitting into the transmission. The other end is attached to a rubber hose with a clamp. I tried to upload a pic but couldn't so here is the link to the picture. The clamp came from a transmission cooler i had installed a couple years back. The installers cut the main line to the radiator and spliced the trans lines into the auxiliary cooler. Not sure if this is the best way to do it, but oh well...can't go back now.

A little background.

Third transmission (car has 224K).

When the last transmission was installed, I think the feed line fitting was stripped a little because I had a small leak after install. A few nights ago I was doing a tranny drain and refill and decided to pull the fitting and teflon it to see if that would help. While reiinstalling the line into the transmission, I though I had striped the bolt out. Did some research and figured a HeliCoil would be the best repair, but when I tried to remove the fitting to the threads right, I tested the fitting again and attempted to spin it a little bit more in order to assist with drilling the hole. Well, after about 3/4 of a turn the fitting snugged up and didn't leak for two days.
Now the fitting is leaking again, it's not as bad but it's still bad enough to to concern me with driving it.

I have a few questions:

1) what thread are the fittings? I found a resource on here via Trannyman saying that the thread count was (3/8th 18) but when I called around about HeliCoils and looked online, all I found was 3/8 16...so I guess i am just looking for confirmation I am looking for the correct thread count.

2) has anyone repaired this hole with a HeliCoil, if so, could you give me some pointers

3) Does anyone know of a better/different/less invasive way to repair the hole? I am concerned about getting shavings inside the transmission.

4) Is it possible that the fitting is bad and not the tranny housing? It looks like a lot of fluid is coming out there.

5)what are these types of fittings called?

I'm not a complete newb in terms of working on this car, however transmissions are a world I haven't really worked with...and neither are helicoils (I always tapped the whole and went up a size bigger but you can't really do that with these fittings I don't believe.)

Thanks in advance to any help.
KX2000GTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
KX2000GTP
AF Regular

Re: Trasnmission Leak

after a little more research, helicoil's do not come in 3/8 - 18...am I f$#@ed??
Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
tblake
In God We Trust

Send a message via MSN to tblake

Sorry to hear that but don't feel bad, this is how things usually turn out on my stuff too.

So to clarify, fluid is leaking from between the trans case and the fitting, or between the fitting and the cooler line?

If its between the fitting and trans case, bring the fitting to the hardware store and find a nut that fits the threads. From there you should know the exact size of helicoil you need. Same thing if its leaking from between the cooler line and fitting. Just you would have to bring the line.

If it were me, before I helicoiled it, I'd replace the fitting, clean the threads up and apply some lock tight. Then make sure you have the right torque spec on it. Which maybe Bob can help you with, I dont have and FSM's.

Helicoil is always a last resort for me becase once its done its done. What happens if you do it and it leaks worse than when you started?

AF "2.0" Community Guidelines

Conservative Victory 2012!!!

"I'll Keep my Guns, Freedom, and Money. You can Keep the Change!"

----->>>>> Did You Know? <<<<<-----
tblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
KX2000GTP
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblake View Post
So to clarify, fluid is leaking from between the trans case and the fitting, or between the fitting and the cooler line?
Between the trans case and the fitting

Quote:
If its between the fitting and trans case, bring the fitting to the hardware store and find a nut that fits the threads. From there you should know the exact size of helicoil you need. Same thing if its leaking from between the cooler line and fitting. Just you would have to bring the line.
that was my thought too, i pulled the fitting and line tonight and it looks like the threads on the female end are pretty busted up to about halfway through. the threads on the fitting aren't that bad, except at the end (closest to the base of the fitting)

Quote:
Helicoil is always a last resort for me becase once its done its done. What happens if you do it and it leaks worse than when you started?
I'm trying not to think about that...

What are your thoughts on some sort of short term patch? say RTV, jbweld, or a combo of the two??

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
tblake
In God We Trust

Send a message via MSN to tblake

Boy, I just don't know. Line pressure will push RTV right out. JB weld I dont know about. Have you checked to see if you can find a fitting one size up? Then just tap it out to the right size? Or any sort of fitting a size bigger, then just clamp some trans line on it with a couple screw type clamps.

AF "2.0" Community Guidelines

Conservative Victory 2012!!!

"I'll Keep my Guns, Freedom, and Money. You can Keep the Change!"

----->>>>> Did You Know? <<<<<-----
tblake is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix