Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
Dragon3458
AF Newbie

Spark arcing

Hi there, I have a 1986 Chevrolet Celebrity with the 2.8 liter 2-barrel carbureted engine. Two weeks ago the car started hesitating and backfiring. It progressively got worse. A few days ago I was looking into the engine in the dark and saw the ignition coil arcing. I replaced the coil with a "Drive Works" coil from Advanced Auto. Put it into the car and it seemed to help for a day or so before acting up again. That night I looked in the engine again and found the coil seemed to be arcing. Today I returned that coil and bought and Accel coil. I installed it and the car still ran badly. Just about an hour ago I looked at the engine running in the dark and it was lighting up like a Christmas tree. A majority of the wires were all arcing, the coil wire to the distributor was arcing almost its entire length against the air cleaner, coil still seemed to be arcing, it was purplish/blue light everywhere. I've never seen anything quite like it. But the car was still running though it was missing now and again and if you try to drive it it lags on power and sometimes "pops" (backfires). I checked the distributor cap and rotor, they seem fine. Anyone out there familiar with the standard ignition set up that's a non high energy ignition system on a Chevy Celebrity? I'd appreciate the help!
Dragon3458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:12 AM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Spark arcing

How old are your wires? They may be causing the problem. To include the coil wire.
Tech II (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

I agree.....may be time for a complete tuneup.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
Dragon3458
AF Newbie

The car was tuned when I bought it in October 2015. So the cap, rotor, wires and plugs are a little over 2 years old. The coil was the original, replaced with a "Drive Works" from Avanced Auto. After about a day and a half/ two days the car started hesitating and misfiring again. Saw the new coil arcing so I took it back and got the Accel which is a much hotter coil. I think maybe this coil is too much for the standard wires and thus causing everything to arc. So today I'm going to take back the Accel coil and get a cooler standard coil and new plugs, wires, rotor and cap and go from there. Thank you for the replies, I appreciate all the help I can get!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Even though the wires are only two years old, no one can guess the quality of the wires that were installed. Since they are exhibiting severe leakage (glowing at night) that would be the FIRST thing to be changed. Your stock coil had already produced enough secondary voltage to punch through the insulation, and the Accel coil probably finished the job nicely (although there was probably little left). Now that the insulation is completely blown through going back to a stock coil won't resolve it.

I'd advise using standard resistance wires (NOT spiral core) and silicone or EPDM jackets and FEP/XLPE insulation. Get the thickest wires that will fit in your cap, looms, and clips. It you can go to 8mm wires, do it. If not, try 7mm.

Coincidentally, stock (Packard Electric) wires fit all those criteria. Maybe that's why they lasted thirty years. Knowing that, why would you switch to something different?
Old 01-28-2018, 06:28 PM   #6
Dragon3458
AF Newbie

O.K., I've replaced the coil with a new standard coil, new plugs, wires, rotor and cap. Also had to replace the oxygen sensor since it shattered when I bumped it. Problem is the car has spark now, but won't start. It kicked a few times at first but I believe I had some spark plug wires in the wrong spot. I found some questionable distributor wiring diagrams showing the sequence and I adjusted the wires on the cap accordingly but I'm not sure if they are correct. I have a shop manual for this car and for the life of me can't find a wiring diagram for the firing sequence and distributor wire setup. I believe the firing sequence is 123456 and cylinder #1 is upper left if you are looking right at the engine from the front of the car. Would a faulty oxygen sensor cause this engine not to run at all? The replacement I got at Advance Auto didn't match the original though the connector was the same as were the threads. I'm thinking it's got to be one of these issues.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:05 PM   #7
Dragon3458
AF Newbie

I believe I've solved the problem. I originally had two of the spark plug wires in the wrong places. It kicked a few times and that was it. Did some research to find the right plug wire sequence. Got it right but the car didn't start. Did more research and found another distributor wiring diagram that showed a slightly different position for the wires. Switched them around and still no luck. Finally spent quite some time here on the internet to find pictures and videos of Chevy Celebrity engines to get a view of the distributor set up. Finally got the wiring right but still didn't start. I got pissed and as I was cranking the car I began flooring the accelerator. Car started kicking. I kept that pedal clean to the floor as I cranked and it finally roared to life filling the garage up with thick black smoke. I guess in previous tries in starting the car it seriously flooded out. And since it flooded out I assumed I had the plug wired in the wrong place. So I ended up putting them in the wrong place until I got everything figured out. I do appreciate everyone's help, it was something in the ignition system that was failing and as stated above, that extra hot ignition coil probably finished everything that was already failing off. The 1986 Chevy Celebrity is ready for another work week
Old 01-28-2018, 09:47 PM   #8
Tech II
AF Fanatic

It was the wires, not an extra hot coil.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion