Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
Skyline_BNR34

Thumbs down Hybrids

Tell me what you think of Hybrids. To me I hate those stupid cars and I will never buy one. I'm just not an electric car person and I hate them..
Skyline_BNR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:09 AM   #2
mason_RsX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to mason_RsX
I can't really say I dislike hybrids, I would never buy one, but I could completely understand why somebody would...Most people (not around here) think a car is just something to get them from A to B...

A hybrid is absolutely perfect for a regular driver. Its quick enough for a safe merge, is incredible on fuel economy, its small, practical, attactive, fwd, competitively priced, and im sure the insurance is low... For the average person what else do you need in a car? and with the way gas is priced, a hybrid makes so much economical sense to city dwellers

The day they make the Diesel hybrid, man that thing could go years on a tank of diesel gas

2002 Acura RSX Type-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGNAL748
I have an outrageously large penis.
mason_RsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Re: Hybrids

I'd actually love one for a daily beater. Being that I pay over $50 to fill up my tank now and have to fill it up all too frequently...I can see a huge appeal in only spending $30 in gas a month. Granted I'm not fond of the looks of most of them that are on the market, but power isn't really what I would want out of a car like that...just good gas mileage, and that is what they offer.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
Twizted_3KGT
AF Enthusiast

Well you know they make hybrid civics/accords...i'd definitely buy one since i'm in the same boat as Igovert ($200 a month on gas). Plus i'm a Toyota tech in training and know a lot about the Prius. I wouldn't own one as my only car, but definitely for a daily driver. I think it's good technology and that's where the future is gonna be if they can give it enough power...especially the way gas prices are heading.
1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - 269AWHP/290AWTQ (Mustang Dyno) - 12.616@106.74 - 1.756 60ft. - 8.06@83.59 (Best TDO4-9B Time) - Driver Mod - IPS TD04-19TL - SPEC 4+ - Wiseco Pistons - 3SX Custom Forged Rods - PMP FMIC + Much More.
Twizted_3KGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:31 AM   #5
SnoopisTDI
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SnoopisTDI
I'm not a fan of hybrids, and think they're over-rated. They usually don't get the high mileage that the EPA numbers would lead you to believe, and a good part of the advantage they do have is from other efficient options like new weight-saving engineering, small wheels and skinny tires, engine shutting off at stop lights- all things you can do to a non-hybrid. I also think if people just learn to drive a little more efficiently, they can make up some of the losses in city driving without needing the complexity of a hybrid. Not to mention some emergency response personnel are afraid to touch them, should you be involved in an accident. I also think the eventual cost of battery replacement will make them a "throw-away" car.

However, I do think the technology will mature, and I'm excited to see people buying them.

I just choose diesel over gas-electric. More simple, safer fuel, fuel is easier to refine, decent performance, and countless great diesel engines are already available.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:57 PM   #6
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Here is a link to an article I found interesting which discusses the true cost of owning a hybrid vehicle vs. a gas powered one, and it looks at long term results and debates whether or not you save much money by going with the hybrid. http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specia...8/article.html

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:58 AM   #7
AlmostStock
AF Enthusiast

Originally posted by Skyline;
"Tell me what you think of Hybrids. To me I hate those stupid cars and I will never buy one. I'm just not an electric car person and I hate them."

When gasoline cars started coming on the scene in the early 1900's many people ridiculed and resented them, not unlike some people today with hybrids. Cheap oil is on it's way out. I say bring on the future.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
Muscletang
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostStock
Cheap oil is on it's way out. I say bring on the future.
Hydrogen, corn oil, and synthetic oil are way better than a hybrid and can replace todays natural oil.

What can you do with a motor? You can't supercharge, turbocharge, change the heads, change the throttle body, change the intake manifold, mess with the ignition, or anything else you do with an engine.

To the normal world who uses cars to go from A to B hybrids are great. For most of us on these forums we'd be out of a hobby and possible a job.

silly rabbit, tricks are for kids...

I mean, WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST GIVE HIM SOME CEREAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Ulrich
What?! Record sales are slumping? Must be from all those pirates. Can't be because we started sucking 10 years ago.
Muscletang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 03:29 PM   #9
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

the main point of those cars isn't higher mpg, it's lower emissions and energy use in general....

and that's where the problem is, their emission levels still aren't really low enough to make them a true green alternative.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:58 AM   #10
AlmostStock
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscletang
To the normal world who uses cars to go from A to B hybrids are great. For most of us on these forums we'd be out of a hobby and possible a job.
That's exactly the point. Our muscle cars will always need oil but does a 2010 soccer mom mini van? The sooner we start switching to new technology the better. The reality of supply and demand will continue to increase the cost of oil putting us out of a hobby even sooner if we don't. We will always have oil in our lifetimes, it's just a matter of how much we will pay for it.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:13 PM   #11
Muscletang
AF Premium User

If somebody had the money and stuff we could replace oil. If you boil corn you'll get an alcohol you can use in cars. They tried this back in the '70s during the gas crunch but didn't follow through with it.

The thing is the oil companies won't invest in it because they're making money charging us out the butt for gas. If somebody with enough money and a way to transport it had a way to make and distribute it, oil would go way down.

silly rabbit, tricks are for kids...

I mean, WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST GIVE HIM SOME CEREAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Ulrich
What?! Record sales are slumping? Must be from all those pirates. Can't be because we started sucking 10 years ago.
Muscletang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #12
porscheguy9999
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to porscheguy9999
All I have to say is... damn you OPEC.

Thanks to Nicecar!

Got a Facebook? Join the AF group!
http://hs.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2213949483&ref=mf
porscheguy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:14 AM   #13
Hossain_Trance101
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Hossain_Trance101 Send a message via Yahoo to Hossain_Trance101

You guys have to understand some things about Hybrid cars. Though they are very cost-effective after you buy them, you could get a car of similar size and performance that runs on gasoline at a fraction of the cost (e.g. if we look at the Prius and the Corolla). It would be very hard to save money at all in the long term by buying a Prius over a Corolla (In order to save money on buying a Prius over a Corolla on fuel costs, you have to use it for an average 10 years to make up for the extra $AU20,000 it costs) This is why I d prefer normal gasoline cars until Hybrid ones become cheap enough to be "worth-it".

Direct Port Nitrous Oxide System with Custom Blue base paint and decals. Rear Alluminium spoiler. Power Output: 700bhp
Hossain_Trance101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:20 PM   #14
AlmostStock
AF Enthusiast

It's true hybrids may not be a big savings at this time. But the supply of oil is limited and the demand for it is still going up like crazy. Sooner or later something will become more cost effective than oil. It seems like it would be better to start planning for this eventuality now, than to be left behind with outdated technology.
As for hot rodding, I have no doubt it will survive no matter what comes. Just look at the past. Back in the 70's everyone thought that pollution equipment marked the end of hot rodding, but just look at what we do with clean burning "smog" motors now.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:54 AM   #15
mason_RsX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to mason_RsX
Those cars just spewed smoke, the horsepower wars came at a cost to the environment I guess...

and word is fuel cell technology, or Hydrogen is the wave of the future...but im quite skeptical

2002 Acura RSX Type-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGNAL748
I have an outrageously large penis.
mason_RsX is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General