Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #16
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: Montana /Lwr Intake Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek1
is this tool a requirement of the job or can u get away without..can the engine come froward that much...do u have part #
If you are interested in what the tool looks like or it's part number try this link:http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_search...tool&Submit=GO

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #17
Nivek1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkvons
The tool is not required. Just pull out the two dog bones and roll the engine foward. If the vehicle is in park, you can have a couple guys push the whole vehicle forward while you are in front watching the engine. When it is forward enough, chock the wheels. If the vehicle is aiming downhill, the engine will roll forward as soon as the dog bones are removed, so watch out.
Thanks for the tips...last few days been getting a studder...engine lite came on ...scaned getting po306, po1404 and p1134, what I can figure cyl. # 6 is misfiring...posiblly causing the other two codes...just don't want to do LIM gaskets and not solve all the problems...will work on misfire first..any ideas
Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #18
wafrederick
Banned

That tool is best thing ever made for GM front wheel drive cars and it is the easiest way to do instead a couple of guy pushing the vehicle forward resulting in injuries or back problems later on.I was taught doing the hard way or doing the easier way doing it right which is the tool is the better option.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #19
bigpoppapete
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek1
Thanks for the tips...last few days been getting a studder...engine lite came on ...scaned getting po306, po1404 and p1134, what I can figure cyl. # 6 is misfiring...posiblly causing the other two codes...just don't want to do LIM gaskets and not solve all the problems...will work on misfire first..any ideas
Don't know when you changed the plugs but it could be it. I am in the middle of the LIM job as we speak and the plugs were bad, running rough. Hopefully the new plugs change things a bit
bigpoppapete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #20
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Definitely change those plugs while doing the LIM job. You won't have any better opportunity to have the best access to them than during this job. The mileage range for these plugs generally falls within the range of when the gasket starts to fail, so it kind of goes hand in hand.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 04-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #21
Nitro23
AF Newbie

Cheap parts I found:

GM Parts Direct - New GM LIM Kit 19169127. I think I paid $$48 shipped to house. Comes with bolts, upper intake gaskets. Does not have valve cover gaskets or O rings.

The Felpro kit comes with a cheaper LIM gasket.
Felpro also makes a Premium LIM that has a metal core. Must of the the shops around here use it with no return visits. However I think it's like $80 just for gaskets.

Definitely change the T-Stat.

If you pull the ignition coil/module, change the rear plugs.

Use this tool and you can avoid pulling the Ig Module and Alternator -
http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...d_remover.html

There's a U-Tube on using this tool. This saves 2-4 hours as you do not need to remove rear valve cover and any rocker arms ( thus no re-torqing).

Additional tip, leave the throttle body and fuel injectors in the Upper intake when removed.

Good luck.
Nitro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #22
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro23
Cheap parts I found:

GM Parts Direct - New GM LIM Kit 19169127. I think I paid $$48 shipped to house. Comes with bolts, upper intake gaskets. Does not have valve cover gaskets or O rings.

The Felpro kit comes with a cheaper LIM gasket.
Felpro also makes a Premium LIM that has a metal core. Must of the the shops around here use it with no return visits. However I think it's like $80 just for gaskets.
When doing a job like this I wouldn't use the cheapest parts. I'd opt for the premium Fel Pro set as I too have seen no return visits when that kit was used. The GM ones on the other hand have had some issues. For the extra costs involved with the gasket kit, it's money well spent.

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 04-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #23
merc81
AF Enthusiast

It may be too late for you now, but for other's browsing this thread, I purchased the newer lim gasket kit at www.1aauto.com for $39. Its the metal frame gasket and comes with new bolts that have sealer on them already.
Good price, not a cheap brand x.
John
merc81 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6