Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #76
vickidumas1
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 ford explorer cracked rear hatch

I have a 2004 Explorer XLT with the crack also. Evidently, they didn't fix the problem from 2001 - 2005. They just kept producing them with the same problem. You would think in all that time, they would have been able to resolve the cracking problem. I feel like putting a sign on mine that says

"This is my Ford butt-crack, do you have one too?"

I love my Explorer, except for this problem. We have had many issues, but all have been resolved and now the warranty has expired. Wouldn't you know it??? Please keep me updated on the issue and any class action suit. - Or any resolvement. Thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #77
Root4Cards
AF Newbie

Hi, I too have a crack on the rear tailgate. I have a 2002 Explorer and it has been cracked for about 3 years now. Let me know if there is a class action suit. Ford should step up and take care of this known problem and fix for free. One thing is certain if they don't. My next car is a Chevy.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #78
blazer_bum
AF Newbie

I too have the crack. On a hot day like today it looked pretty good (tight). I sent an email off to Ford Customer Service.

I also have the rear end noise. When it rains, it pours...
Old 11-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #79
tootiecat3
AF Newbie

Re: 2002 Ford Explorer cracked rear hatch

We too have a crack on the rear hatch panel that runs from top to bottom past the Ford emblem (2002 Ford Explorer XLS). Has anyone had any luck getting a free repair from Ford? The crack happened on a fall day, temperature in the mid 50's. We loaded her up with recycleables, went to the recycling center (5 minute drive) and returned home to discover the crack. I'm worried that when the weather turns wet and cold it will get worse. A repair shop told us it would cost $800 to fix. Any suggestions?

Picture of crack: http://www.filebox.com/9poc20t2zfmk
Old 11-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #80
katie67
AF Newbie

We have the 2002 Explorer and the back hatch cracked in '05. The Dealership said it was a "geographical problem" having to do with heat & humidity.

After finding this site and several others, we can clearly see that we were lied to and this is a design flaw that Ford refuses to take responsibility for. I am filing a lawsuit against Ford Motor Co. I would like to make this a Class Action Suit.

If you would like to join this suit, you need to do 2 things:

1) Contact Ford Motor Company and file a complaint. Call 1-800-392-3673. Get the employee's name and employee #. WRITE IT DOWN!

2) File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. Call 1-877-382-4357. Get the employee's name and a reference # for your complaint. WRITE IT DOWN! They will also mail you a hard copy of the complaint.

After you have done this, contact me at katie_scarlett67@hotmail.com

I have contacted Attorney General Jim Hood (my state is Mississippi) about a Class Action Suit.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #81
wop333
AF Newbie

I have a 2002 explorer with the same problem. I have removed my panel since half of it blew away after it cracked.
Does anyone have a part number for a replacement? I can't find it anywhere.
It seems that everyone is trying to sell me a whole new piece of glass with all the parts on it. Very expensive. All I want is a new plastic panel.
Thanks.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #82
shorod
SHO No Mo

Replacing the entire assembly was what was originally called for. There is an updated TSB that details replacing just the applique.

TSB 05-24-2
12/12/05
BODY - LIFTGATE GLASS APPLIQUE
DAMAGED/CRACKED - SERVICE PROCEDURE

FORD:
2002-2005 EXPLORER

LINCOLN:
2003-2005 AVIATOR

MERCURY:
2002-2005 MOUNTAINEER

This article supersedes TSB 04-8-5 to update the vehicle model year coverage.
ISSUE
Some 2002-2005 Explorer/Mountaineer and 2003-2005 Aviator vehicles may exhibit a damaged/cracked plastic applique without liftgate glass damage.

ACTION
Replace the applique as necessary. It is no longer necessary to replace the entire liftgate glass assembly to correct this condition. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

According to the TSB the part numbers for the appliques are:
Explorer: 1L2Z-78402A30-CAPTM
Aviator: 4C5Z-78402A30-BAPTM
Mountaineer: 1L2Z-78402A30-DAPTM

-Rod

Last edited by shorod; 12-01-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #83
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

This has gone long enough. The answer is in the post. I am going to close the post. If anyone feels they need to start another thread, please feel free to do so. Thanks way2old

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac