Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 09:18 PM   #16
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GM recall #03034 engine coolant leak

Flatrater,

While I seem to have your undivided attention and sticking to the issue at hand, what's your take on Customer Satisfaction Program Bulletin #03034 concerning use of the cooling system sealing tabs or aka "sawdust" tablets.

I know of a lot of GM owners refusing to take their cars in pursuant to the selective recall. Sort of reminds me of the Doctor that performed surgery on you and left something behind and then wants your permission to go back in and remove it.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:58 PM   #17
Flatrater
Main GM Guy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GM recall #03034 engine coolant leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaylor3400
Flatrater,

While I seem to have your undivided attention and sticking to the issue at hand, what's your take on Customer Satisfaction Program Bulletin #03034 concerning use of the cooling system sealing tabs or aka "sawdust" tablets.

I know of a lot of GM owners refusing to take their cars in pursuant to the selective recall. Sort of reminds me of the Doctor that performed surgery on you and left something behind and then wants your permission to go back in and remove it.
You asked for my honest take on this recall? Well my answer is it is pure BS. The recall is a bandaid fix which really fixes nothing just tries to hide the problem. Its all about the money it costs.

In the same manner as I would go to bat for GM I will do the same for the customer. I have made me feelings known to GM on this issue.

The fact is if your engine already has a coolant leak this recall will not fix it, if the coolant is leaking from the upper intake which 90% of the time is the problem the recall does nothing. I asked the GM big wigs about the upper intake leaking while we have a recall on coolant leaks if the recall can apply to the lower intake leaking? GM gave me the answer of no its not covered under the recall. And if the owner wants the leak fixed he needs to pay for it.

Ok I said enough about my feelings on this recall.

BTW my shop runs ADP who set up the network in the begining I only have to fix it when other people mess it up. I don't know enough to do everything but I know enough to be dangerous. In the futrue I would like to take some IT classes and invest some time into becoming a good IT tech. I'm not claiming to be an expert, just a person who can undo people's mistakes.
GM Master tech
Licensed Aviation mechanic
Flatrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:34 AM   #18
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GM recall #03034 engine coolant leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrater
You asked for my honest take on this recall? Well my answer is it is pure BS. The recall is a bandaid fix which really fixes nothing just tries to hide the problem. Its all about the money it costs.
I thought so too. But thanks for your input and honest opinion on this issue.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 05-13-2005, 11:26 PM   #19
troy1
AF -Advisor

Re: GM recall #03034 engine coolant leak

Flatrater, Just my opinion I work for a indepent transmission shop for 5yrs I have no tech school training (I just know my stuff). I have thought for a year or so now about going back to school for auto mechanics so I could possibly get a job at a dealer but in you view it kinda sounds like a no win deal for the rookie. What is ASEP (ASE??) by the way. I would fit good into the new generation of techs I am good with computer and electronics. Its a shame that every thing has to be programmed anymore its getting harder & harder to run a indepent shop not to mention $$$. I have heard tons of bad things about dealers its too bad thats its got that way. Its also a shame when I was in tech school for autobody the mechanic side would not let the local ford dealer hire any techs because they would not pay them over 6.50 hr.
troy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:47 AM   #20
vamc
AF Enthusiast

bnaylor3400, i think you scared him away lol.
vamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:07 AM   #21
Langning
AF Regular

Because all the blowing noises inside my UIM and concern about potential coolant leak due to UIM failure, I contacted Pontiac Care a few months back about the coolant/UIM recall on 2001 GPGT; And was only told my VIN was not part of the recall. After escalated to a higher-level dept and I was still denied (I couldn't even convince Pontiac to pay for a diagnostic). The car just exceeded 3yrs and was around 37K when we notice the noisy UIM problem. The local Pontiac wanted 6 hrs of labor @$90 plus part to replace the UIM. I gave up my hope on Pontiac and has been planning to do it myself...

Well, tonight, we just received an "Important GM Recall Notification" email about a "Engine Coolant Leak" recall for our VIN. It refers us to mygmlink.com but the site tells us that there is no open recall for our particular VIN... I will just have to wait for postal notice.

Is my recall same as #03034? Will Pontiac replace my UIM (as my problem is noise)? BTW, I would have been a happier Pontiac owner if they agreed to a free diagnose or do the recall earlier when I first contact them. Wonder what take them so long to include our VIN on the recall list?
Langning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:15 AM   #22
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: Re: GM recall #03034 engine coolant leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamc
bnaylor3400, i think you scared him away lol.
I doubt it but he's got KustomKid54 fuming over an allegation of theft of service on another post/thread. See Anti Theft Stero System Code.

I'm cool with it and have no problems with his opinions and views. Everyone is entitled to one.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 05-14-2005, 08:56 AM   #23
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langning
Well, tonight, we just received an "Important GM Recall Notification" email about a "Engine Coolant Leak" recall for our VIN. It refers us to mygmlink.com but the site tells us that there is no open recall for our particular VIN... I will just have to wait for postal notice.

Is my recall same as #03034? Will Pontiac replace my UIM (as my problem is noise)? BTW, I would have been a happier Pontiac owner if they agreed to a free diagnose or do the recall earlier when I first contact them. Wonder what take them so long to include our VIN on the recall list?

To avoid speculation, I'd recommend waiting for the paper recall notice. It will have your VIN listed, the 5 digit identification number of the respective Customer Satisfaction Program Bulletin number/recall which may or not be 03034, and contain a brief description.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix