Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 04:54 PM   #1
varmint
AF Newbie

Acetone to increase mileage

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Anyone try adding acetone to their gas as described in the article?

Here is a direct quote I found from someone I know who has a 2001 Taco:

Yes I am still using it. 4oz per ten gallons of gasoline. Traveling, I have noticed that some gas stations produce better MPG with it than others, but overall I get three to four miles per gallon improvement and more power in my 2001 Toyota Tacoma. I have found absolutely zero negative results with it.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:39 AM   #2
03TRDTacoma
AF Regular

dont know how well i would trust that. I would have to see it to believe it.
03TRDTacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:54 AM   #3
varmint
AF Newbie

Re: Acetone to increase mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TRDTacoma
dont know how well i would trust that. I would have to see it to believe it.
I don't doubt the increase in mileage. What some opponents argue is that they will say that acetone will cause damage to your components. However, we are talking about a very small amount of acetone dilluted down to where it may not harm plastics or rubber.

Here are comments from a couple of others who have tried it:

I've also been useing it for quite awhile now. I have found that by adding 3-4 oz. per 10 gallons gas, ( I add 3 oz in my truck but my wifes van requires 4 oz per 10 gallons before she really notices a difference) I can get 100 miles or more out of a tank of gas. I'm running a 1992 chevy 1500 p/up with a 6 cyl. engine. Where I use to be able to drive for 435 on a tank I now am driveing app. 550 miles before refueling.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been using the acetone mix at 4 ounces per 10 gallons of gas and it's averaging out to an extra 4 miles to the gallon. Results after 90 days of use.
------------------------------------------------------------------

This definately seems very interesting. If there is data out there that proves this does not work or that it causes harm to your engine, please share it with us. If you know of someone who has written an article as to why this does not work, please share it with us.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:35 PM   #4
paulmeister
AF Newbie

i would say that its ok just that you dont spill any on the car. the gas lines in the car are made to handle this kind of thing. i think it will even clean the engine. i think im going to try it. just remember to not let your car sit for an extended period of time in the sun. because acetone will decrese the surface tension of the gas that means that it will evaporate more quickly than gas already does.
paulmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Here's one of the original articles on this subject:
http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

All acetone has water in it, even the 100% acetone, it is just a matter of how much. If there is 0.05% water, then the acetone will solubilize it and there is no problem. If there is 5% water, the acetone will not be able to dissolve it and you can't use it in gasoline.

Batches of acetone are totally unpredictable, as far as water content goes (acetone sucks water from the air), so:

1. Buy a large container and use only acetone from that container. A gallon of reagent-grade acetone would be best (from Aldrich Chemical Co.) in a glass bottle as provided. Anything less than that is suspect for water content. If you don't want to pay alot for the acetone from Aldrich, search for unscented 100% acetone and only use it. The scent may cause a problem with your sensors - which you don't need.

I would test it by adding quite a bit to some hydrocarbon (hexane, gasoline, whatever) maybe 10:1 (hexane:acetone) and make sure it forms a colorless clear solution. If the mixture becomes hazy, then don't use it. Throw it away or return it or give it to your girlfriend. It has too much water in it.

2. Never pour acetone back into the container. Once it has been poured out, throw it away or use it immediately.

3. Test the acetone in the container periodically (once a year) as I suggested above, or some other test like that.

4. Don't buy acetone in a plastic container. Acetone will absorb water through the plastic and be wetter than that in a metal or glass container. Also, the acetone will leach some impurities from the plastic container and they are not what you want in your gas. Play it safe. You don't know how long it's been since the acetone was bottled. It may have been kept on the shelf for years, being opened by other customers to smell it or something.

5. Make absolutely sure that you keep the container tightly closed, or transfer the acetone into a really good container (glass is better than metal or plastic) with a good seal and keep it well closed always. If you accidentally leave it open or loosely covered overnight or you don't know how long, test it again before you use it.

BTW, I have not yet seen any data to support the surface-tension theory. Don't bank on it. Acetone has about the same surface tension as gasoline, so I'll have to see the data before I believe surface tension change is the cause of any effect on gas mileage.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"

Last edited by Brian R.; 09-24-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:29 AM   #6
varmint
AF Newbie

Talking

I would only try the adding of acetone with gas from service stations that have historically given out the most consistent and best MPG for your vehicle. If you don't know what service stations they are yet, then I would investigate that first before jumping in and adding acetone to your gas.

BTW, the 2001 Taco owner I first quoted in the first post said he has been adding the acetone for approximately 5000 miles of driving. I haven't asked him yet what his storage and handling procedures are with the acetone.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Anyway, I bought a trial quart of acetone from Home Depot and I am going to try it in my truck starting today. The can I bought is handy in that it has a small plastic snap spout - easy pouring. I will try 6oz/tankful, maybe 8 oz/tank if I only see a small effect. I will post back. My truck is very consistent at 16 mpg since I've owned it - 2000 4Runner 3.4L automatic. I have also tested mileage from various brands and none that I tried (Shell, Amoco/BP, Chevron) seem to give any better mileage than the others.

I found a gadget at Advance Auto Parts which is a syringe with graduations up to 2 oz for metering 2-stroke oil. I also bought a small funnel for the tank. What I did was take the plunger out of the syringe and fill the syringe from the can, keeping one finger over the opening to keep the acetone from falling out the bottom. Then I placed the syringe over the funnel and released my finger and the acetone all went in the tank. Acetone evaporates so fast, the syringe (and my finger) were dry before I put it back in the truck.

If this has an effect, I will be tempted to try MEK, which is very similar to acetone in chemical structure.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:30 AM   #8
03TRDTacoma
AF Regular

im also gonna try it after i fill up. I think im gonna go with 6oz and then go from there.
03TRDTacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:33 AM   #9
dustrman03

better MPG..or worse engine components..

hmm
Old 09-28-2005, 02:18 AM   #10
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

No guarantee of either one.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:27 AM   #11
blippo
AF Newbie

I was listening to an overnight show on the radio and that guy suggested 2 1/2 oz. per 10 gallons
blippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #12
varmint
AF Newbie

Brian R.,

Since it's been nearly 2 weeks from when you started, have you noticed any improvements in mpg? What are your findings?

I'm going to start with my wife's RAV4. Once I get some data, I'll post the results.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:58 PM   #13
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

I don't drive that much, so the jury's still out.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #14
truckpoor
AF Newbie

What about emissions? Certain things will jack your catalytic converter. Do you know what components it breaks down to?
truckpoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:19 AM   #15
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Acetone will burn just like gasoline hydrocarbons, into water and carbon dioxide. It will burn very clean.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma