Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Sixx
AF Regular

Keeping dust off my paint, picture attached, I need your input

I'm having a hard time keeping dust off my paint.

I'm thinking about fitting a removable piece of plexi glass across the front that can be sealed off with a hole for my hands to keep the area free from dust.

Currently, I am working in the garage and spraying the room with water from a plant sprayer to trap the dust in the air. I then spray when the mist is gone. It has worked fairly well, but inevitably, a hair falls in the clear.

What do you guys do to keep the area free from dust, and what is your set-up like. What do you suggest I do for this set-up.

Thanks

Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

Re: Keeping dust off my paint, picture attached, I need your input

Personally, I start the fan on my booth at least 30 minutes before I start to spray, this draws a lot of the air through the booth and subsequently a lot of the dust out the air.

If you're spraying the room with water, you're doing a lot to help too.

I am sure you'll get some more ideas soon from other members too
Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

The most important thing I do to avoid dust is to clean the paint booth itself. By far the largest source of dust and debris for me is dried atomized paint from previous spray sessions. So before a body gets painted, the paintbooth gets completely cleaned. My booth has sheet metal walls, so it's easy to wipe down. If your booth is a clean environment, you've solved probably 80% of the problem already.

Other than that, I don't worry about it much. It's important to learn how to deal with contaminants as you paint. If you see dust in your paint, stop painting! Give the paint time to dry and sand out the debris, then continue. This is part of why painting bodies (for me anyways) can take days, and cannot be rushed. (Trying to paint to a deadline- "I'll have the paint done today!"- is a recipe for disaster.) If you see a flaw that needs to be fixed then take the time to do it right, and never try to rush it.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Adam Baker Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Baker

I fire up my fan a little while before I start painting as well as try to do a little cleaning before I paint, for the reasons mentioned before. I also have a door on the front of my booth. Ive noticed a lot of people dont have any kind of door on their booth, but I prefer having one on mine. Once Ive painted, I can pull the door almost completely closed, leaving it just open enough to still draw some air through the fan, to vent any remaining fumes, but it also helps to keep the dust down.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

When I lived in Miami, I had a sheltered balcony enclosed on three sides on the north side of the building. I painted on the balcony. The weather was generally great, and I rarely ever got a dirt in my paint. I was lucky!
BVC500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
CFarias
AF Regular

Plastic naturally attracts dust do to its inherent ability to retain static electricity. Prepare the part with a cleaner that can reduce this such as Polly S Platic Prep. This should help somewhat.
CFarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #7
Guido
AF Enthusiast

In addition to what is said above: 30 mins prior to paint the fan goes on, cleaning the booth, water vapour etc.

I started wearing a t-shirt only when I spray paint, as I found that my jumper or pull-over was also a good source to release dust and little hairs. Since then, no more dust or other contaminations.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Except in a true clean room, there's always going to be some dust in the air. Using lacquer instead of enamel (or even acrylic) greatly reduces "wet time" and thus the amount of dust that settles into the paint.

I have not tested this scientifically, but it seems like dust specks are also much easier to remove from lacquer. And they leave less of a mark; a flick of a fingernail and a little polishing and all traces are gone.

I'd also consider painting or varnishing all that bare wood in your work area. The woodgrain collects - and actually produces! - dust.

Ddms
Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
Spike2933
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike2933

one thing to do is to get a big display case and right after painting, put it in the cast and cover it, put a toothpick on the bottom to let the air breath, and helps reduce the chance of letting any dust to come inside
Old 03-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
prortiz80
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to prortiz80 Send a message via Yahoo to prortiz80 Send a message via Skype™ to prortiz80

Well, my self i cut up a plastic black trash bag. and place it around my spray both plus the fans and the intake removing all the fumes plus i found an old microwave and when im done spraying i take and place in there to keep dust out...... but thats just me..........
prortiz80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #11
Sixx
AF Regular

THANKS FOR THE EXCELLENT ADVICE!

I'm going to implement MANY of your ideas, my wife had a good one too, she said, we are going to either build out of PVC pipe and elbows a small area that will encase my spray booth or buy a small greenhouse that we can set up in the garage and use as a mini spray booth and continue to spray the area with water, fit the inside of the booth with sheet metal and shalack the wood to keep dust off of it. I will take some shots of what we come up with.

but I do want to thank you guys for the great advice as always
Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:48 PM   #12
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

A filter would be the best option in a box.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling