Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
ilovedizgame
AF Newbie

my 1994 caprice classic 350 LT1

Can you tell me why my caprice takes 1996 impalas i have no work done to my engine. i have raced three diffrent impalas more than once and everytime i take them by atleast a car and a half. I know the car used to be a cop car.
What makes my car so fast? i think the chip theory is real.
ilovedizgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
PeteA216
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to PeteA216
Re: my 1994 caprice classic 350 LT1

If you are referring to the "Police Chip" there is no such thing.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
ilovedizgame
AF Newbie

then why is it faster than an impala? wutd does it have that i dont know about... i know it was a cop car it came with sirens which all i had to simply connect...
Old 10-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
silicon212
Confoundingly Lucid

Send a message via ICQ to silicon212

There is no 'police chip'. It's myth busted.

The only thing a police car has over its civilian counterpart is a programmed top speed of 255MPH, due to the fact that police drivers are trained to deal with blowouts at high speed.

Edit, nevermind, top speed is 147MPH.

Remember - a government that is strong enough to give you everything you need, is also strong enough to take everything you have.

Last edited by silicon212; 11-01-2007 at 11:54 AM.
silicon212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
PeteA216
AF Enthusiast

Since yours was a police car, it was probably taken care of better in terms of maintanence. Since you are not the original owner, you don't know the car's history 100%. It's possible that the transmission was once rebuilt. A tighter tranny = more power to the wheels. Your injectors may have been replaced where the Impalas' may not have been and are still 10+ years old. There are many factors that can increase or decrease performance and maintanace makes a huge difference in the long run.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
96capricemgr
AF Regular

The drivetrains are the same, a 9C1 will have a speed limiter up to a possible 147mph the SS has 154mph.
The SS wheels and tires are like LEAD, you could easily be running lighter rolling stock and rotating weight matters, an SS may have more optional equipment other than that it would come down to different cars just are weaker or stronger, or maybe the Impalas have heavy stereos.

There was nothing special about the SS or 9C1 they are both Caprices one just wears and evening gown and the other work clothes.
They got 3.08 gears as opposed to 2.93 for a civilian car which is almost meaningless and they got INFERIOR disc rear brakes. It is not the discs themselves that are inferior though it is GM cheaping out and not redesigning a proper proportioning valve.
Before anyone disagrees with me on that, I have had both setups in the same car with no other changes, the drums stop better than the stock rear disc system. It can be modified to work right but that is not how GM sold it.
96capricemgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
silicon212
Confoundingly Lucid

Send a message via ICQ to silicon212

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
... and they got INFERIOR disc rear brakes. It is not the discs themselves that are inferior though it is GM cheaping out and not redesigning a proper proportioning valve.
Before anyone disagrees with me on that, I have had both setups in the same car with no other changes, the drums stop better than the stock rear disc system. It can be modified to work right but that is not how GM sold it.
I have to disagree. Just kidding. You're exactly right and once you modify the proportioning valve, they work excellent.

GM should have done the proportioning valve mod on these cars before they were ever sold.

Remember - a government that is strong enough to give you everything you need, is also strong enough to take everything you have.
silicon212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Duane is spot-on with the prop valve for the rear discs. That's a prime reason why accountants should never be allowed to make business decisions over engineers. And the Man of Sand is correct that the "fix" is very easy, and the discs absolutely shine when they actually get hydraulic pressure to stop the vehicle.

That said, there are some minor differences between the "civi" B-Body and SEO vehicles (including the SS models). The SEO frame is reinforced. Also, the 9C1 and taxi versions actually had elastomer "doughnuts" in all the frame-to-body mounting positions, whereas the SS and other civi models did not. The 9C1s had brake cooling deflectors. The SS is lower, which should favor it at higher speeds if the air dam is actually keeping frontal air from under the car. Factory air dams do not help much with this, so that's pretty much a wash.

None of that will affect straight line performance, however. I suspect that you may have a better factory engine, less wear, less neglect, and potentially a better driver. There are plenty of 13-second B-Cars out there with 15-second drivers, myself included.

Further, on my particular '94, I've never encountered a speed limiter. There is a factory RPM limiter, but it is factory programmed at about 10,400 RPM, which is basically meaningless. The VSS-based speed limiter is programmed (at least on my '94) at 254 MPH, which is basically meaningless. If my digital speedo is close to correct (and they seldom are) my '94 will make 163MPH after about 4 miles. That's on a freshened stock rotating assembly, reworked heads w/bigger and lighter valves, better cam and springs, AFPR, exhaust, intake porting, PCM tuning, air dam and side skirts, and adjusted rear LCAs to correct pinion angle.

Some dyno runs have also proven that synthetic fluids from the engine to the axle are good for another 10-15 HP on the treadmill;, which would translate to better ¼ mile times. There was an article posted at Super Chevy for quite a while showing the results, but it has since been removed as far as I can tell. If your 9C1 was serviced frequently and treated to synthetic ATF and gear oil, that alone could make a minor difference. If it got the recommended replacements of fuel filters and fluids, the entire engine and drive train could be in much better condition than the average LT1 B-car.

Oh! I know what it is! The hole left by the spotlight in the A pillar makes the car lighter. That's probably why you're faster...

Enjoy your car for what it is, and for the fact that between the car and the driver, it's a faster package than the average B-Car still out there.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
ilovedizgame
AF Newbie

Thanks. Now i want more power and im not sure wut i want to go with. is a stroker kit reliable for an everyday driver? i was also thinking about a supercharger or turbokit. i was also thinking about borla v.s. magnaflow full exhaust wut do you think? also, do you think royal purple synthetic racing oil is top of the line?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
96capricemgr
AF Regular

It takes a lot of modification before the car is ready for internal engine work or boost.

Adding a stroker or boost without all the supporting stuff will result in very little gain for the money.

My setup on the otherhand will walk all over most of the strokers guys are building, I will say I worry about the longevity of the stock shortblock with the 200+hp over stock I am pumping though it. Properly done heads and cam setup will make a lot more power than a stroker with poor heads. On the heads aftermarket is the WRONG choice.

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...vySucks1v2.flv
This was 150 miles from home a few nights ago. Excuse the ugliness, deer damage I have not bothered to repaint yet, I have this problem where I keep buying speed parts instead of paint supplies.

This is NOT typical results, there are no other street Impala/Caprices I know of running these time with heads and cam on a stock shortblock, some running close but are not true street car and one running a bit faster but is 700lbs lighter pure race car.
That said if a guy had a mind too it would be easy to duplicate my combination and performance, most just fall for lesser products with a better marketing campaign so nobody else has tried to duplicate it YET.

Really need to start with things like cold air induction, headers and a good catback, rearend gears 3.42-4.10, new posi, aftermarket rear lower control arms, transmission rebuild with a higher stall torque converter a good one, not a $200 B&M, and this all just gets you started but it also makes a HUGE difference in the car even without having to go into the engine.

You start modifying a car and you can not believe the amount of money you can spend on this hobby. It is an area where the most important piece of advise will be admit and learn from your mistakes, I see a lot of guys throwing good money after bad rather than admit a core piece they tried to use is junk.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Nice vid, Duane.

All that, and you could put the Fox body in your trunk as a spare.

Quote:
On the heads aftermarket is the WRONG choice.
I'll second that. It's pretty easy to get here on stock castings:

Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 AM   #12
ilovedizgame
AF Newbie

thank you for the advise. Wut do you guys think borla full exhaust or Magna flow full exhaust? i think borla sounds sick i've never really heard magnaflows. Which one do you think gives you the most hp? i was also hinking about k&n intake????
Old 10-30-2007, 08:02 AM   #13
ilovedizgame
AF Newbie

Also i want to slap some 22inch sevas s-10 drop the car and still be burning impalas. i know that takes alot of time to do. But i need some ideas.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #14
96capricemgr
AF Regular

The Borla is a nice system and is fine for near stock but will restrict an engine making real power.

A 2.5" system with Magnaflows should handle quite a bit of power without being a restriction.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #15
PeteA216
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
The Borla is a nice system and is fine for near stock but will restrict an engine making real power.
I'm going to have to disagree with that... a Borla cat back system like I have on my truck, yes is great for stock applications but will suffer in high performance, but borla makes complete engine-back systems for all sorts of applications from completely stock to street/strip to racing to towing, they have setups specifially for certain applications. An exhaust system can hurt or enhance any engine, but it's a matter of finding the right combination of parts for what you want the engine to do.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice